Dual-boot NT, W2K & Service Packs

Pete Hollands

      15th Jan 2004
Hi,

I have a problem dual-booting NT & W2K, or to be more precise booting NT,
after applying W2K SP4. More details below.

Has anybody come across this problem before? Any suggestions most welcome?

Thanks in advance.

Windows NT4.0 SP6a installed
Windows 2000 Pro installed
Dual-boot from C: partition

Both fully operational with no problems.

After applying W2K SP4, W2K continues to boot with no problem. NT4, however,
presents the login dialog box, accepts input and then hangs.

Currently the only resolution is to uninstall W2K SP4 and the system returns
to normal boot conditions for both op sys. Uninstall functions correctly
without any errors.

Best regards

Pete Hollands

Howard Brazee

      15th Jan 2004
Somewhere NTFS got changed. I wonder if this could have caused problems.

The safest way to do multi-boot is to have a small FAT C: drive with virtually
nothing on it. Put your Windows boot partitions elsewhere. Then before you
make a modification to a Windows partition, set that as the default boot
partition.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      15th Jan 2004
Your system partition may be too large for WinNT to boot
properly. The SP installation may place some boot files beyond
the reach of WinNT.

While it is certainly possible to boot several OSs off the
same partition, having them in completely separate partitions
is far preferable, especially if you make them mutually invisible
to each other. The free XOSL boot loader can do this.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...