Dual Boot: boot.ini queston - also Vista swaps drive letter on partitions

Jamie Hunter [MS]

      12th Oct 2006
Hey Holiday, not directly my area, but I can give you some quick answers...

Vista uses a new database called "BCD" to contain boot configuration data
and a whole new architecture for booting using a brand new boot component
called "BOOTMGR". It never tries to understand "boot.ini" or how to boot an
earlier version of windows. When you select the "Earlier Version" option, it
runs NTLDR, and uses that to boot the earlier version of Windows.

Regards BCDEDIT, it's a command line editor. You should use this in an
"elevated" command prompt (right-click on the "Command" icon and click "Run
as Administrator"). If you type "BCDEDIT /?" it lists all the options, and
how to get more information on it's use.

Regards drive letters, there have been lots of problems in the past where
applications expect "C:" to be the volume that contains the OS. Vista
shuffles drive letters around to help such older programs work. It's bit me
on occasion, until I got used to it. One thing that helps is to utilize the
ability to label volumes.
--
Jamie Hunter [MS]

"Holiday" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I setup a dual boot on a SATA 160GIG hard drive.
> Loaded XP and had it set up a 60GIG partition.
> (left the rest unpartition for now.)
> Got all drivers loaded and running smoothly.
>
> Then boot up on Vista CD and had it
> partition the remaining 100GIG.
> Got is setup and running.
>
> Reboot, boot manager comes up just like it's suppose
> too. One thing though. The selections are:
>
> 1. Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
> 2. An Earlier Version of Windows
>
> An earlier version of windows?? Can it not tell
> which one it is by looking in boot.ini ?
> Anyway I figured I'd edit the boot.ini and change this myself.
> Vista wouldn't even let me access it even though I am an
> administrator. So I reboot to XP and tried to edit boot.ini ,
> but apparently Vista no longer uses boot.ini
> I saw this in the boot.ini:
>
> Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
> Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
>
> So I now need to find some documentation on BCEDIT.
> Is BCEDIT just a text editor? Which file is it editing?
> Any resources on the net to explain all this?
>
> -------------------
> Secondly:
> Now get this. I was confused when trying to copy files from
> one drive letter to another in XP. Booted to Vista and the
> folder was not there. ?????
>
> Come to find out that when Vista boots, It swaps the second
> partition's drive letter to C and XP's to D
> That can be a mind F**k if your not careful.
>
> Holiday

Holiday

      12th Oct 2006
Thanks for the info Jamie.
Interesting info

I also now just found this on the subject if anyone else is
interested.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...19d4af778.mspx

Holiday

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:55:45 -0700, "Jamie Hunter [MS]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hey Holiday, not directly my area, but I can give you some quick answers...
>
>Vista uses a new database called "BCD" to contain boot configuration data
>and a whole new architecture for booting using a brand new boot component
>called "BOOTMGR". It never tries to understand "boot.ini" or how to boot an
>earlier version of windows. When you select the "Earlier Version" option, it
>runs NTLDR, and uses that to boot the earlier version of Windows.
>
>Regards BCDEDIT, it's a command line editor. You should use this in an
>"elevated" command prompt (right-click on the "Command" icon and click "Run
>as Administrator"). If you type "BCDEDIT /?" it lists all the options, and
>how to get more information on it's use.
>
>Regards drive letters, there have been lots of problems in the past where
>applications expect "C:" to be the volume that contains the OS. Vista
>shuffles drive letters around to help such older programs work. It's bit me
>on occasion, until I got used to it. One thing that helps is to utilize the
>ability to label volumes.

Mike Bernstein

      12th Oct 2006
A much easier way is to use VistaBootPro, which can be installed on Vista
and/or XP, and allows for easy editing of the BCD. You can obtain it from:
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

Mike Bernstein

"Holiday" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the info Jamie.
> Interesting info
>
> I also now just found this on the subject if anyone else is
> interested.
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...19d4af778.mspx
>

> Holiday
>

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:55:45 -0700, "Jamie Hunter [MS]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hey Holiday, not directly my area, but I can give you some quick
>>answers...
>>
>>Vista uses a new database called "BCD" to contain boot configuration data
>>and a whole new architecture for booting using a brand new boot component
>>called "BOOTMGR". It never tries to understand "boot.ini" or how to boot
>>an
>>earlier version of windows. When you select the "Earlier Version" option,
>>it
>>runs NTLDR, and uses that to boot the earlier version of Windows.
>>
>>Regards BCDEDIT, it's a command line editor. You should use this in an
>>"elevated" command prompt (right-click on the "Command" icon and click
>>"Run
>>as Administrator"). If you type "BCDEDIT /?" it lists all the options, and
>>how to get more information on it's use.
>>
>>Regards drive letters, there have been lots of problems in the past where
>>applications expect "C:" to be the volume that contains the OS. Vista
>>shuffles drive letters around to help such older programs work. It's bit
>>me
>>on occasion, until I got used to it. One thing that helps is to utilize
>>the
>>ability to label volumes.

Terje Alexander Barth

      13th Oct 2006

"Holiday" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the info Jamie.
> Interesting info
>
> I also now just found this on the subject if anyone else is
> interested.
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...19d4af778.mspx

If you need to get rid of Vista quickly (for an update, for example) you can use
the Windows Xp Recovery console and fixBoot to restore the old boot.ini system.

[I was unable to install Vista RC1 and RC2 until I did this, since I had a boot
from Beta 2 there... ]

Word of caution: Should you have your main OS on the partition flagged as Bootable
Vista might do some 'fun' with it, at least that is what happened with my XP64bit.

Safest thing is to use your BIOS to select 2 Boot Drives and alternate between
them depending on what you want to run, that way you avoid the hassle altogether.
[Thats what I am going to do next update... As well as backup up.. often..]

--
---
///Terje Alexander Barth

Holiday

      13th Oct 2006
[...]

WOW just noticed my time is wrong... That's the second time I've had
to correct it. (or going to)