Drives: Mysterious Disappearance

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

      5th Feb 2005
XP no longer can read any of my peripheral drives ( A:, CD-ROM, DVD, Jump
Drives, Card Reader) They are listed when I go to My Computer. When
accessed I get: "Drive is not Accessible. Incorrect Function" . When I go
to Cotrol Panel, System, Device Manager there are NO yellow circles. I click
on the categories and all drives are listed by make/model and the message
says they are functioning properly. Had an earlier issue of having my second
hard drive magically redesignated from D: to G: Don't have a clue how that
happened. I used Computer Maintenance to change the drive letter back to D:.

Any thoughts on this one? Motherboard failure?

Rock

      5th Feb 2005
Chris wrote:

> XP no longer can read any of my peripheral drives ( A:, CD-ROM, DVD, Jump
> Drives, Card Reader) They are listed when I go to My Computer. When
> accessed I get: "Drive is not Accessible. Incorrect Function" . When I go
> to Cotrol Panel, System, Device Manager there are NO yellow circles. I click
> on the categories and all drives are listed by make/model and the message
> says they are functioning properly. Had an earlier issue of having my second
> hard drive magically redesignated from D: to G: Don't have a clue how that
> happened. I used Computer Maintenance to change the drive letter back to D:.
>
> Any thoughts on this one? Motherboard failure?

"Incorrect function" error message when you access the CD-ROM drive, the
DVD-ROM drive, or the CD-RW drive

How to troubleshoot issues that occur when you write data to a CD-R or
CD-RW Optical Disc in Windows XP

Gerry Cornell

      5th Feb 2005
Chris

Anything here which helps?
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324129

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> XP no longer can read any of my peripheral drives ( A:, CD-ROM, DVD,
> Jump
> Drives, Card Reader) They are listed when I go to My Computer. When
> accessed I get: "Drive is not Accessible. Incorrect Function" .
> When I go
> to Cotrol Panel, System, Device Manager there are NO yellow circles.
> I click
> on the categories and all drives are listed by make/model and the
> message
> says they are functioning properly. Had an earlier issue of having my
> second
> hard drive magically redesignated from D: to G: Don't have a clue how
> that
> happened. I used Computer Maintenance to change the drive letter back
> to D:.
>
> Any thoughts on this one? Motherboard failure?

Bob Eyster

      5th Feb 2005
Try removing the devices from the device manager and reboot your computer.
On reboot the devices will be reinstalled.

try the above if all else fails.

Bob Eyster