Driver Problem with Via Tech. Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver

=?Utf-8?B?TmF0ZQ==?=

      9th Jun 2004
I hope somebody else has had this problem. I recently had problems with my Soundblaster Audigy 2 Sound Card, so I was forced to use the integrated sound on my motherboard. Now, its a 5.1 Surround Sound directx 9.0a chip, the Via VT8233A. I first used the supplied driver CD from my motherboard(Epox 8k3A+), but the driver on that CD was very old. I went to Via Arena and downloaded the latest driver, the Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver, that was suppose to be Windows XP Compatible, but now I'm not sure. The original driver from the motherboard CD would cause my computer to crash regularly. Now this new Driver is better, not as many crashs, but I still do get some. These crashs never happen when I'm using the computer, only when the computer has sat, unused for an extended time. Anybody has any suggestions that would be great. Thanks.

Rich Barry

      10th Jun 2004
Nate, I have the same Motherboard. Go here and download the Realtec
Driver and see if that works
better. http://www.epox.com/USA/downloads.asp

"Nate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I hope somebody else has had this problem. I recently had problems with my

Soundblaster Audigy 2 Sound Card, so I was forced to use the integrated
sound on my motherboard. Now, its a 5.1 Surround Sound directx 9.0a chip,
the Via VT8233A. I first used the supplied driver CD from my
motherboard(Epox 8k3A+), but the driver on that CD was very old. I went to
Via Arena and downloaded the latest driver, the Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo
Driver, that was suppose to be Windows XP Compatible, but now I'm not sure.
The original driver from the motherboard CD would cause my computer to crash
regularly. Now this new Driver is better, not as many crashs, but I still do
get some. These crashs never happen when I'm using the computer, only when
the computer has sat, unused for an extended time. Anybody has any
suggestions that would be great. Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?TmF0ZQ==?=

      10th Jun 2004
I went to Epox and tried to download that driver, I clicked on the download link and it said the page was no longer available, I then tried to right-click on a, sav the target as and it said, "cannot download from epox". They must have taken that driver off the website. I will keep looking and trying to find this driver.

Nate, try here. http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/ac97.html

"Nate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I hope somebody else has had this problem. I recently had problems with my

Soundblaster Audigy 2 Sound Card, so I was forced to use the integrated
sound on my motherboard. Now, its a 5.1 Surround Sound directx 9.0a chip,
the Via VT8233A. I first used the supplied driver CD from my
motherboard(Epox 8k3A+), but the driver on that CD was very old. I went to
Via Arena and downloaded the latest driver, the Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo
Driver, that was suppose to be Windows XP Compatible, but now I'm not sure.
The original driver from the motherboard CD would cause my computer to crash
regularly. Now this new Driver is better, not as many crashs, but I still do
get some. These crashs never happen when I'm using the computer, only when
the computer has sat, unused for an extended time. Anybody has any
suggestions that would be great. Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?TmF0ZQ==?=

      10th Jun 2004
Thanks for the link to get that driver. After I downloaded it, I still don't get to use the main program called Soundman.exe. I see it in the Windows folder, but when I try to open it, it starts running, but the program doesn't come up. The only way I know its running is when I open the task manager I can see it there in the list of processes. That program is what lets you control the input and output controls of the sound. If you have any ideas, that would be appreciated. Thanks again.

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Nate, try here. http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/ac97.html
>
> "Nate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I hope somebody else has had this problem. I recently had problems with my

> Soundblaster Audigy 2 Sound Card, so I was forced to use the integrated
> sound on my motherboard. Now, its a 5.1 Surround Sound directx 9.0a chip,
> the Via VT8233A. I first used the supplied driver CD from my
> motherboard(Epox 8k3A+), but the driver on that CD was very old. I went to
> Via Arena and downloaded the latest driver, the Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo
> Driver, that was suppose to be Windows XP Compatible, but now I'm not sure.
> The original driver from the motherboard CD would cause my computer to crash
> regularly. Now this new Driver is better, not as many crashs, but I still do
> get some. These crashs never happen when I'm using the computer, only when
> the computer has sat, unused for an extended time. Anybody has any
> suggestions that would be great. Thanks.

Rich Barry

      11th Jun 2004
Nate, the only thing I could think of is to go to C:\Windows\System32
Folder. Scroll down and look for
SndVol32.exe. Rt click on it and select Send to Desktop as shortcut.