When dragging a window the movement is NOT smooth

=?Utf-8?B?RGViaQ==?=

      2nd Jul 2007
I'm not sure if this is where I need to ask this and I apologize if it is not
right.

I had a virus on my computer and could not get rid of it so I had to
reformat the hard drive. I used my Windows Prof disk to do this and after it
was finished installing, I noticed that when I click on a dialog box Title
Bar and drag it across the screen, the movement is not smooth at all like it
was, it is now very "jumpy" like it is trying to catch up. Does anyone know
if there is a default setting that needs to be changed to correct this
problem? I can't use my computer this way, it is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

=?Utf-8?B?RGViaQ==?=

      2nd Jul 2007
I neglected to say that I used my Windows XP Professional Disk to reformat my
hard drive.

"Debi" wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is where I need to ask this and I apologize if it is not
> right.
>
> I had a virus on my computer and could not get rid of it so I had to
> reformat the hard drive. I used my Windows Prof disk to do this and after it
> was finished installing, I noticed that when I click on a dialog box Title
> Bar and drag it across the screen, the movement is not smooth at all like it
> was, it is now very "jumpy" like it is trying to catch up. Does anyone know
> if there is a default setting that needs to be changed to correct this
> problem? I can't use my computer this way, it is driving me nuts.

V Green

      2nd Jul 2007
Since you wiped the slate clean, and started over,
you have lost whatever video card driver you had.

The reinstall probably installed a "generic" unoptimized
video driver with low performance.

You need to find out what kind of video hardware you have
and download a better driver for it from the manufacturer's website.

"Debi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not sure if this is where I need to ask this and I apologize if it is not
> right.
>
> I had a virus on my computer and could not get rid of it so I had to
> reformat the hard drive. I used my Windows Prof disk to do this and after it
> was finished installing, I noticed that when I click on a dialog box Title
> Bar and drag it across the screen, the movement is not smooth at all like it
> was, it is now very "jumpy" like it is trying to catch up. Does anyone know
> if there is a default setting that needs to be changed to correct this
> problem? I can't use my computer this way, it is driving me nuts.

Nightowl

      2nd Jul 2007
Debi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote on Sun, 1 Jul 2007:

>I had a virus on my computer and could not get rid of it so I had to
>reformat the hard drive. I used my Windows Prof disk to do this and after it
>was finished installing, I noticed that when I click on a dialog box Title
>Bar and drag it across the screen, the movement is not smooth at all like it
>was, it is now very "jumpy" like it is trying to catch up. Does anyone know
>if there is a default setting that needs to be changed to correct this
>problem? I can't use my computer this way, it is driving me nuts.

Hi Debi

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but you could try right-clicking
on My Computer and choosing Properties, then Advanced, then under
Performance, choose Settings. On the Visual Effects tab, if "Show window
contents when dragging" is checked, uncheck it, click Apply and OK. Does
that make any difference?

--
Nightowl

Rock

      2nd Jul 2007
"Debi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> I'm not sure if this is where I need to ask this and I apologize if it is
> not
> right.
>
> I had a virus on my computer and could not get rid of it so I had to
> reformat the hard drive. I used my Windows Prof disk to do this and after
> it
> was finished installing, I noticed that when I click on a dialog box Title
> Bar and drag it across the screen, the movement is not smooth at all like
> it
> was, it is now very "jumpy" like it is trying to catch up. Does anyone
> know
> if there is a default setting that needs to be changed to correct this
> problem? I can't use my computer this way, it is driving me nuts.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Have you reinstalled all the drivers: Motherboard chipset, video card,
mouse, sound card, etc?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Patrick Keenan

      2nd Jul 2007
"Debi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not sure if this is where I need to ask this and I apologize if it is
> not
> right.
>
> I had a virus on my computer and could not get rid of it so I had to
> reformat the hard drive. I used my Windows Prof disk to do this and after
> it
> was finished installing, I noticed that when I click on a dialog box Title
> Bar and drag it across the screen, the movement is not smooth at all like
> it
> was, it is now very "jumpy" like it is trying to catch up. Does anyone
> know
> if there is a default setting that needs to be changed to correct this
> problem? I can't use my computer this way, it is driving me nuts.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

After you formatted and reinstalled XP, did you also reinstall the
motherboard drivers and the video drivers, in that sequence?

Your description suggests that this was not done.

HTH
-pk