downloading attachments

Jim Irwin

      2nd May 2004
I've lately been getting an advisoru that "OE has
determined that the attachment is potentially dangerous"
and is not allowing me to open, mostly text attachments.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this?

TIA for any help

Jim

Rob Schneider

      2nd May 2004
It's your configuration and under your control.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

rms

Jim Irwin wrote:
> I've lately been getting an advisoru that "OE has
> determined that the attachment is potentially dangerous"
> and is not allowing me to open, mostly text attachments.
>
> Any ideas on how to get rid of this?
>
> TIA for any help
>
> Jim

Jim Macklin

      2nd May 2004
Tools/Options>security tab, 4th box.

"Jim Irwin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:736401c43084$bff1d5d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
| I've lately been getting an advisoru that "OE has
| determined that the attachment is potentially dangerous"
| and is not allowing me to open, mostly text attachments.
|
| Any ideas on how to get rid of this?
|
| TIA for any help
|
| Jim

Jason Tsang

      2nd May 2004
If you are sure the attachement is safe...

Goto Tools, Options
Then goto the Security tab
Uncheck "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could
potentially be a virus"

Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in OE After You Install SP1

Microsoft implemented this change to prevent users from inadvertedly
executing viruses and other bad code within unexpected attachments. It is
ALWAYS a bad to open an unexpected attachment. Verify the sender sent the
attachment before opening.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Jim Irwin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:736401c43084$bff1d5d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've lately been getting an advisoru that "OE has
> determined that the attachment is potentially dangerous"
> and is not allowing me to open, mostly text attachments.
>
> Any ideas on how to get rid of this?
>
> TIA for any help
>
> Jim

Bruce Chambers

      3rd May 2004
Greetings --

Outlook Express' default security settings are simply trying to
protect you. OE has no way of telling whether an attachment actually
contains a virus or not, so it temporarily blocks any of those file
types that could potentially contain a virus. In Outlook Express,
Tools > Options > Security, uncheck the "Do not allow attachments to
be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" option, assuming
you trust the source, of course. The wiser course of action, however,
would be to modify your list of unsafe files, as outlined in the KB
articles below:

Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in OE After You Install SP1

Information About the Unsafe File List in Internet Explorer 6

OLEXP Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

"Jim Irwin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:736401c43084$bff1d5d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've lately been getting an advisoru that "OE has
> determined that the attachment is potentially dangerous"
> and is not allowing me to open, mostly text attachments.
>
> Any ideas on how to get rid of this?
>
> TIA for any help
>
> Jim

Plato

      3rd May 2004

http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop10.htm#1

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Alex Nichol

      3rd May 2004
Jim Irwin wrote:

>I've lately been getting an advisoru that "OE has
>determined that the attachment is potentially dangerous"
>and is not allowing me to open, mostly text attachments.

There is a setting in OE - Tools - Options - Security page for 'do not
allow attachments to be saved or opened that might contain a virus'.
Since SP1 that has been on by default. Open and save ought really to
have separate settings: but no

Bournemouth, U.K. (E-Mail Removed) (remove the D8 bit)