Download files won't save

=?Utf-8?B?VGVycnkgTA==?=

      27th Feb 2006
I could not find downloaded files that were saved from internet explorer 6.
When click on link to save file (run save) window would open, click on save
to my download directory, file would download, then window closed.
Could not find file anywhere on computer.
Had to uninstall windows defender to solve.

Any one else had this problem?

Bill Sanderson

      1st Mar 2006
A possible fix is now being looked at further--if you are interested in
trying it out, here are a couple of registry keys which you might verify the
existence of, and then delete.

If you wish to be safest, you can save copies of these keys before deletion,
but I'm assured they will regenerate with valid data, fixing the issue--this
has worked on my system.

1) Delete:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{9E477B43-8F85-11D0-B11F-00A0C90F2732}]

2) Delete:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Discardable\PostSetup\ComponentCategories\{56FFCC30-D398-11D0-B2AE-00A0C908FA49}

I'm trying to take pains to be sure that these long lines are not
broken--but I'd search and confirm carefully that you are finding the right
keys.

Let me know whether you cannot find either key--if you cannot find the first
one, you can go ahead and delete the second one, but the fix will be
temporary--boot or login duration--not sure. I'd like to hear about
that.--and I'd like to hear how this works in any case.

This fix is applicable to a trio of symptoms:

1) inablity to save downloaded files--they may appear on the desktop as the
download completes, but they disappear.

2) inability to save attachments from an email application to, say, the
desktop.

3) inability to do an expand all on a zip folder.

--

"BulletFoss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, It appears .zip files in partuicular cannot be downloaded through
> IE6.
> They seem to instantly "dissapear" once complete. You can use other
> browsers
> and managers to download the files, but any attempt to unzip the files
> will
> result in the error message "windows has blocked this file to protect your
> computer".
>
> With NON-ZIP files only; you can goto the file properties and click the
> unblock button which will allow you to access the file. However this
> feature
> is not available on ZIP files. I think windows sees this as a folder
> rather
> than a file.
>
> This is a HUGE problem that needs resovling quickly because 90% of files
> kept on the internet are zipped. In effect, Microsoft are shooting
> themselves
> in the foot with this one.
>
> "Yes we'll protect you from the internet, but you wont be able to download
> any sodding files!"
>
> I think the objective might be to stop people downloading altogether and
> this will prevent computer infections!!
>

> "Terry L" wrote:
>
>> I could not find downloaded files that were saved from internet explorer
>> 6.
>> When click on link to save file (run save) window would open, click on
>> save
>> to my download directory, file would download, then window closed.
>> Could not find file anywhere on computer.
>> Had to uninstall windows defender to solve.
>>
>> Any one else had this problem?

Simon Zerafa

      1st Mar 2006
Hi Bill,

If this helps any, my PC (XP Pro SP2) with an install of WD does not appear
to have the first of your listed registery entries, but it does have the
second one.

I am not experiencing any particular issues with WD and I have the latest
updates (released earlier today).

Is the "missing" first registry entry normal or should it actually be
present, if so what sort of data should it contain?

Kind Regards

Simon

Bill Sanderson

      1st Mar 2006
I don't know much about that first entry--it isn't clear whether it is
specific to my machine, for example. I did Google the guid with no result.

In rethinking that post--I'd urge folks to be sure to save a copy of that
first key if it exists. I know the second can be deleted safely, but I
think I don't know that about the first.

This is definitely still being looked at--but at least deleting that second
key will bring relief for the duration of a login or boot.

--

"Simon Zerafa" <(E-Mail Removed)*no-spam*.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Bill,
>
> If this helps any, my PC (XP Pro SP2) with an install of WD does not
> appear to have the first of your listed registery entries, but it does
> have the second one.
>
> I am not experiencing any particular issues with WD and I have the latest
> updates (released earlier today).
>
> Is the "missing" first registry entry normal or should it actually be
> present, if so what sort of data should it contain?
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Simon

=?Utf-8?B?bWFsaWNrag==?=

      1st Mar 2006
I have expericenced the same problem on the 2 machines that I have tested
this on. They were both the same XP Build on laptops. I installed this on a
desktop build here and it did not experience the same issue. I am lost on
this one.
I tried completly "disabling" the Defender service and then rebooting, but
this did not work either. I have checked every IE Setting possible with no
luck.

"Terry L" wrote:

> I could not find downloaded files that were saved from internet explorer 6.
> When click on link to save file (run save) window would open, click on save
> to my download directory, file would download, then window closed.
> Could not find file anywhere on computer.
> Had to uninstall windows defender to solve.
>
> Any one else had this problem?

=?Utf-8?B?bWFsaWNrag==?=

      1st Mar 2006
I am not downloading .zip files....
I also have the box "unchecked" that says "Close this dialog box when
download completes" and it still will not save any file...
The box also closes itself...

"BulletFoss" wrote:

> Yes, It appears .zip files in partuicular cannot be downloaded through IE6.
> They seem to instantly "dissapear" once complete. You can use other browsers
> and managers to download the files, but any attempt to unzip the files will
> result in the error message "windows has blocked this file to protect your
> computer".
>
> With NON-ZIP files only; you can goto the file properties and click the
> unblock button which will allow you to access the file. However this feature
> is not available on ZIP files. I think windows sees this as a folder rather
> than a file.
>
> This is a HUGE problem that needs resovling quickly because 90% of files
> kept on the internet are zipped. In effect, Microsoft are shooting themselves
> in the foot with this one.
>
> "Yes we'll protect you from the internet, but you wont be able to download
> any sodding files!"
>
> I think the objective might be to stop people downloading altogether and
> this will prevent computer infections!!
>

> "Terry L" wrote:
>
> > I could not find downloaded files that were saved from internet explorer 6.
> > When click on link to save file (run save) window would open, click on save
> > to my download directory, file would download, then window closed.
> > Could not find file anywhere on computer.
> > Had to uninstall windows defender to solve.
> >
> > Any one else had this problem?

Bill Sanderson

      1st Mar 2006
A possible fix is now being looked at further--if you are interested in
trying it out, here are a couple of registry keys which you might verify the
existence of, and then save copies of, then delete.

It isn't clear whether the first key listed exists on all systems--the
second should.

1) Save, as a .reg file, then delete:

[...]

"malickj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have expericenced the same problem on the 2 machines that I have tested
> this on. They were both the same XP Build on laptops. I installed this
> on a
> desktop build here and it did not experience the same issue. I am lost on
> this one.
> I tried completly "disabling" the Defender service and then rebooting, but
> this did not work either. I have checked every IE Setting possible with
> no
> luck.
>

> "Terry L" wrote:
>
>> I could not find downloaded files that were saved from internet explorer
>> 6.
>> When click on link to save file (run save) window would open, click on
>> save
>> to my download directory, file would download, then window closed.
>> Could not find file anywhere on computer.
>> Had to uninstall windows defender to solve.
>>
>> Any one else had this problem?

=?Utf-8?B?bWFsaWNrag==?=

      1st Mar 2006
Bill,

These keys do not exist on my machine.

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> A possible fix is now being looked at further--if you are interested in
> trying it out, here are a couple of registry keys which you might verify the
> existence of, and then save copies of, then delete.
>
> It isn't clear whether the first key listed exists on all systems--the
> second should.
>
> 1) Save, as a .reg file, then delete:
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{9E477B43-8F85-11D0-B11F-00A0C90F2732}]
>
> 2) Delete:
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Discardable\PostSetup\ComponentCategories\{56FFCC30-D398-11D0-B2AE-00A0C908FA49}
>
> I'm trying to take pains to be sure that these long lines are not
> broken--but I'd search and confirm carefully that you are finding the right
> keys.
>
> Let me know whether you cannot find either key--if you cannot find the first
> one, you can go ahead and delete the second one, but the fix will be
> temporary--boot or login duration--not sure. I'd like to hear about
> that.--and I'd like to hear how this works in any case.
>
> This fix is applicable to a trio of symptoms:
>
> 1) inablity to save downloaded files--they may appear on the desktop as the
> download completes, but they disappear.
>
> 2) inability to save attachments from an email application to, say, the
> desktop.
>
> 3) inability to do an expand all on a zip folder.
> --
>
> "malickj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have expericenced the same problem on the 2 machines that I have tested
> > this on. They were both the same XP Build on laptops. I installed this
> > on a
> > desktop build here and it did not experience the same issue. I am lost on
> > this one.
> > I tried completly "disabling" the Defender service and then rebooting, but
> > this did not work either. I have checked every IE Setting possible with
> > no
> > luck.
> >

> > "Terry L" wrote:
> >
> >> I could not find downloaded files that were saved from internet explorer
> >> 6.
> >> When click on link to save file (run save) window would open, click on
> >> save
> >> to my download directory, file would download, then window closed.
> >> Could not find file anywhere on computer.
> >> Had to uninstall windows defender to solve.
> >>
> >> Any one else had this problem?

Bill Sanderson

      1st Mar 2006
Thanks. I don't know what to make of this--I expected it, I think, for the
first key--but the second one should be there.

There's another thread with Mike Treit participating looking at this in a
different group--I'll see if I can get him to look in here, too.

--

"malickj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bill,
>
> These keys do not exist on my machine.
>

> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> A possible fix is now being looked at further--if you are interested in
>> trying it out, here are a couple of registry keys which you might verify
>> the
>> existence of, and then save copies of, then delete.
>>
>> It isn't clear whether the first key listed exists on all systems--the
>> second should.
>>
>> 1) Save, as a .reg file, then delete:
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{9E477B43-8F85-11D0-B11F-00A0C90F2732}]
>>
>> 2) Delete:
>>
>> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Discardable\PostSetup\ComponentCategories\{56FFCC30-D398-11D0-B2AE-00A0C908FA49}
>>
>> I'm trying to take pains to be sure that these long lines are not
>> broken--but I'd search and confirm carefully that you are finding the
>> right
>> keys.
>>
>> Let me know whether you cannot find either key--if you cannot find the
>> first
>> one, you can go ahead and delete the second one, but the fix will be
>> temporary--boot or login duration--not sure. I'd like to hear about
>> that.--and I'd like to hear how this works in any case.
>>
>> This fix is applicable to a trio of symptoms:
>>
>> 1) inablity to save downloaded files--they may appear on the desktop as
>> the
>> download completes, but they disappear.
>>
>> 2) inability to save attachments from an email application to, say, the
>> desktop.
>>
>> 3) inability to do an expand all on a zip folder.
>> --
>>
>> "malickj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have expericenced the same problem on the 2 machines that I have
>> >tested
>> > this on. They were both the same XP Build on laptops. I installed
>> > this
>> > on a
>> > desktop build here and it did not experience the same issue. I am lost
>> > on
>> > this one.
>> > I tried completly "disabling" the Defender service and then rebooting,
>> > but
>> > this did not work either. I have checked every IE Setting possible
>> > with
>> > no
>> > luck.

Bill Sanderson

      1st Mar 2006
OK--I've got a full-scale final recipe for this one, but it isn't just
chicken soup, I'm afraid:

1) start, run,

regsvr32 "c:\program files\windows defender\mpoav.dll"

enter

Adjust the drive letter if needed for your system.

This should yield a success message. If it does not, check for typos (yours
or mine!) and check that mpoav.dll exists in \program files\windows
defender.

2) (this is the hard part)
- Search for other IOfficeAntivirus products to repair

o Launch regedit, and search for this GUID:
{56FFCC30-D398-11D0-B2AE-00A0C908FA49}

Clsid's implementing this GUID are IOfficeAntivirus Providers

o For each key found like this:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{%GUID%}\Implemented
Categories\{56FFCC30-D398-11D0-B2AE-00A0C908FA49}]

Either delete the key if the product is no longer installed, or
re-register the COM object associated with it.

When I did this search in my own registry, I found the GUID in several
places, but only two keys of the form specified above--when the search
stopped on those, I backed up a couple of lines to where I could see what
product was associted with the entry--in each case it was Windows Defender.
Mind you--my machine has been "cured" already!

Here's an example.

Search stops on a key with the above GUID value, which is a subkey of
"Implemented Categories."

Above that are urlmon, shdocvw, hots, and another GUID. Backing up to that
GUID I was able to see that it was associated with Windows Defender.

So--I did not need to deal with that final step of re-registering the COM
object. Frankly--I don't know how to do that at this point--so if you are
up for it--do a little careful exploring of the registry and let's see what
you find?