Dots running across table. Help!

Toody

      22nd Feb 2010
I've created a table with one row and one column, but later I added a second
row. When I added text to the second row, suddenly the last row moved to
the next page, even though Print Preview showed that there was enough room
for the row and text. When I tried to move that row back to its original
position, I notice black dots on either side of the table, which act like a
page break. I can't get the row and text back to its original page. What do I
do?

What's going on? Is there a way to get rid of the dotted lines so that I can
place the last row with the rest of the rows on the same page?

Any help will be appreciated.

I have Word 2003.

Jay Freedman

      22nd Feb 2010

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 19:29:01 -0800, Toody
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've created a table with one row and one column, but later I added a second
>row. When I added text to the second row, suddenly the last row moved to
>the next page, even though Print Preview showed that there was enough room
>for the row and text. When I tried to move that row back to its original
>position, I notice black dots on either side of the table, which act like a
>page break. I can't get the row and text back to its original page. What do I
>do?
>
>What's going on? Is there a way to get rid of the dotted lines so that I can
>place the last row with the rest of the rows on the same page?
>
>Any help will be appreciated.
>
>I have Word 2003.

Maybe the paragraph in the second row is formatted with "Page Break
Before".

Click in that paragraph and go to the Format > Paragraph dialog. Click
the Line & Page Breaks tab of that dialog. If "Page Break Before" is
checked, uncheck it.

If that's the cause, I can't tell you how it happened -- that setting
is very hard to apply by mistake.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      22nd Feb 2010
But the setting is inherited when you press Tab to create a new row--and may
well have been applied to the preceding rows (especially the heading row).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Jay Freedman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 19:29:01 -0800, Toody
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I've created a table with one row and one column, but later I added a
>>second
>>row. When I added text to the second row, suddenly the last row moved to
>>the next page, even though Print Preview showed that there was enough room
>>for the row and text. When I tried to move that row back to its original
>>position, I notice black dots on either side of the table, which act like
>>page break. I can't get the row and text back to its original page. What
>>do I
>>do?
>>
>>What's going on? Is there a way to get rid of the dotted lines so that I
>>can
>>place the last row with the rest of the rows on the same page?
>>
>>Any help will be appreciated.
>>
>>I have Word 2003.

> Maybe the paragraph in the second row is formatted with "Page Break
> Before".
>
> Click in that paragraph and go to the Format > Paragraph dialog. Click
> the Line & Page Breaks tab of that dialog. If "Page Break Before" is
> checked, uncheck it.
>
> If that's the cause, I can't tell you how it happened -- that setting
> is very hard to apply by mistake.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
> so all may benefit.

Peter T. Daniels

      22nd Feb 2010
A small black square on either side of a paragraph (or table row), as
opposed to a row of small dots across the screen, indicates that one
of the attributes that causes paragraphs to stick to what follows is
invoked: either "Keep Lines Together" or "Keep With Next" (or both).
Both of these are controlled in the Format > Paragraph dialog (second
tab).

(I don't think they appear when the table attribute about not breaking
a row across pages is turned on.)

On Feb 21, 10:29*pm, Toody <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've created a table with one row and one column, but later I added a second
> row. *When I added *text to the second row, suddenly the last row moved to
> the next page, even though Print Preview showed that there was enough room
> for the row and text. When I tried to move that row back to its original
> position, I notice black dots on either side of the table, which act likea
> page break. I can't get the row and text back to its original page. What do I
> do?
>
> What's going on? Is there a way to get rid of the dotted lines so that I can
> place the last row with the rest of the rows on the same page?
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> I have Word 2003.

Jay Freedman

      22nd Feb 2010
I agree that the setting was probably inherited from the previous row
-- but how did that one get it? I don't know of any way to get that
accidentally, as there is no default shortcut or simple place to click
by mistake, nor is there any built-in style that has Page Break
Before.

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:27:50 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>But the setting is inherited when you press Tab to create a new row--and may
>well have been applied to the preceding rows (especially the heading row).
>
>--
>Suzanne S. Barnhill
>Microsoft MVP (Word)
>Words into Type
>Fairhope, Alabama USA
>http://word.mvps.org
>
>"Jay Freedman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 19:29:01 -0800, Toody
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I've created a table with one row and one column, but later I added a
>>>second
>>>row. When I added text to the second row, suddenly the last row moved to
>>>the next page, even though Print Preview showed that there was enough room
>>>for the row and text. When I tried to move that row back to its original
>>>position, I notice black dots on either side of the table, which act like
>>>page break. I can't get the row and text back to its original page. What
>>>do I
>>>do?
>>>
>>>What's going on? Is there a way to get rid of the dotted lines so that I
>>>can
>>>place the last row with the rest of the rows on the same page?
>>>
>>>Any help will be appreciated.
>>>
>>>I have Word 2003.

>> Maybe the paragraph in the second row is formatted with "Page Break
>> Before".
>>
>> Click in that paragraph and go to the Format > Paragraph dialog. Click
>> the Line & Page Breaks tab of that dialog. If "Page Break Before" is
>> checked, uncheck it.
>>
>> If that's the cause, I can't tell you how it happened -- that setting
>> is very hard to apply by mistake.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Jay Freedman
>> Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
>> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
>> so all may benefit.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      22nd Feb 2010
In this case, I agree, since the OP claims to have created the table. Often
one encounters this issue in editing/revising the work of others, however.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"Jay Freedman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I agree that the setting was probably inherited from the previous row
> -- but how did that one get it? I don't know of any way to get that
> accidentally, as there is no default shortcut or simple place to click
> by mistake, nor is there any built-in style that has Page Break
> Before.
>
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:27:50 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>But the setting is inherited when you press Tab to create a new row--and
>>may
>>well have been applied to the preceding rows (especially the heading row).
>>
>>--
>>Suzanne S. Barnhill
>>Microsoft MVP (Word)
>>Words into Type
>>Fairhope, Alabama USA
>>http://word.mvps.org
>>
>>"Jay Freedman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Maybe the paragraph in the second row is formatted with "Page Break
>>> Before".
>>>
>>> Click in that paragraph and go to the Format > Paragraph dialog. Click
>>> the Line & Page Breaks tab of that dialog. If "Page Break Before" is
>>> checked, uncheck it.
>>>
>>> If that's the cause, I can't tell you how it happened -- that setting
>>> is very hard to apply by mistake.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Jay Freedman
>>> Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
>>> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
>>> newsgroup
>>> so all may benefit.

Peter T. Daniels

      22nd Feb 2010
Page Break doesn't fit the symptom of "black dots on either side of
the table."

On Feb 22, 9:28*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In this case, I agree, since the OP claims to have created the table. Often
> one encounters this issue in editing/revising the work of others, however..
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org
>
> "Jay Freedman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> >I agree that the setting was probably inherited from the previous row
> > -- but how did that one get it? I don't know of any way to get that
> > accidentally, as there is no default shortcut or simple place to click
> > by mistake, nor is there any built-in style that has Page Break
> > Before.

> > On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:27:50 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>But the setting is inherited when you press Tab to create a new row--and
> >>may
> >>well have been applied to the preceding rows (especially the heading row).

> >>--
> >>Suzanne S. Barnhill
> >>Microsoft MVP (Word)
> >>Words into Type
> >>Fairhope, Alabama USA
> >>http://word.mvps.org

> >>"Jay Freedman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      22nd Feb 2010
It does if the table is viewed in Normal/Draft view. There is a dotted line
stretching left and right of the table.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Peter T. Daniels" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Page Break doesn't fit the symptom of "black dots on either side of
the table."

On Feb 22, 9:28 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In this case, I agree, since the OP claims to have created the table.
> Often
> one encounters this issue in editing/revising the work of others, however.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org
>
> "Jay Freedman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> >I agree that the setting was probably inherited from the previous row
> > -- but how did that one get it? I don't know of any way to get that
> > accidentally, as there is no default shortcut or simple place to click
> > by mistake, nor is there any built-in style that has Page Break
> > Before.

> > On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:27:50 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>But the setting is inherited when you press Tab to create a new row--and
> >>may
> >>well have been applied to the preceding rows (especially the heading
> >>row).

> >>--
> >>Suzanne S. Barnhill
> >>Microsoft MVP (Word)
> >>Words into Type
> >>Fairhope, Alabama USA
> >>http://word.mvps.org

> >>"Jay Freedman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

S Godwin

      25th Mar 2010
The dots happen because a T2 style was used in teh first column of the table which has a "Keep With Next Format" in it. Highlight the column and make it normal.

Toody wrote:

Dots running across table. Help!
21-Feb-10

I have created a table with one row and one column, but later I added a second
row. When I added text to the second row, suddenly the last row moved to
the next page, even though Print Preview showed that there was enough room
for the row and text. When I tried to move that row back to its original
position, I notice black dots on either side of the table, which act like a
page break. I cannot get the row and text back to its original page. What do I
do?

What's going on? Is there a way to get rid of the dotted lines so that I can
place the last row with the rest of the rows on the same page?

Any help will be appreciated.

I have Word 2003.

On Sunday, February 21, 2010 10:29 PM
Toody wrote:

Dots running across table. Help!
I have created a table with one row and one column, but later I added a second
row. When I added text to the second row, suddenly the last row moved to
the next page, even though Print Preview showed that there was enough room
for the row and text. When I tried to move that row back to its original
position, I notice black dots on either side of the table, which act like a
page break. I cannot get the row and text back to its original page. What do I
do?

What's going on? Is there a way to get rid of the dotted lines so that I can
place the last row with the rest of the rows on the same page?

Any help will be appreciated.

I have Word 2003.

On Sunday, February 21, 2010 10:45 PM
Jay Freedman wrote:

Maybe the paragraph in the second row is formatted with "Page BreakBefore".
Maybe the paragraph in the second row is formatted with "Page Break
Before".

Click in that paragraph and go to the Format > Paragraph dialog. Click
the Line & Page Breaks tab of that dialog. If "Page Break Before" is
checked, uncheck it.

If that is the cause, I cannot tell you how it happened -- that setting
is very hard to apply by mistake.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sunday, February 21, 2010 11:27 PM
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

But the setting is inherited when you press Tab to create a new row--and
But the setting is inherited when you press Tab to create a new row--and may
well have been applied to the preceding rows (especially the heading row).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

On Monday, February 22, 2010 12:54 AM
Peter T. Daniels wrote:

A small black square on either side of a paragraph (or table row), asopposed
A small black square on either side of a paragraph (or table row), as
opposed to a row of small dots across the screen, indicates that one
of the attributes that causes paragraphs to stick to what follows is
invoked: either "Keep Lines Together" or "Keep With Next" (or both).
Both of these are controlled in the Format > Paragraph dialog (second
tab).

(I do not think they appear when the table attribute about not breaking
a row across pages is turned on.)

ond
ed to
do I
can

On Monday, February 22, 2010 8:08 AM
Jay Freedman wrote:

I agree that the setting was probably inherited from the previous row-- but
I agree that the setting was probably inherited from the previous row
-- but how did that one get it? I do not know of any way to get that
accidentally, as there is no default shortcut or simple place to click
by mistake, nor is there any built-in style that has Page Break
Before.

On Monday, February 22, 2010 9:28 AM
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

In this case, I agree, since the OP claims to have created the table.
In this case, I agree, since the OP claims to have created the table. Often
one encounters this issue in editing/revising the work of others, however.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

On Monday, February 22, 2010 9:48 AM
Peter T. Daniels wrote:

Page Break does not fit the symptom of "black dots on either side ofthe table.
Page Break does not fit the symptom of "black dots on either side of
the table."

en
w).
moved
nal
hat
t I

On Monday, February 22, 2010 11:10 AM
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

It does if the table is viewed in Normal/Draft view.
It does if the table is viewed in Normal/Draft view. There is a dotted line
stretching left and right of the table.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

Page Break does not fit the symptom of "black dots on either side of
the table."

BizTalk Custom Pipeline for Splitting Messages
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ipeline-f.aspx