is dotnet framework 4 compatiable with 3.5 app?

GS

      15th May 2010
I currently uses 3.5 sp1 with vst 2008, no plan to go to 2010 for at least
half a year.

However, someone wanted a dump of the crash visual studio 2008 standard and
I was not able to get the info they wanted. They suggest if I have dotnet 4
installed I can use another tool to make easier to get the dump they want

Should I install .net 4 or that will give me a lot of trouble?

Arne Vajh°j

      15th May 2010
On 15-05-2010 01:39, GS wrote:
> I currently uses 3.5 sp1 with vst 2008, no plan to go to 2010 for at least
> half a year.
>
> However, someone wanted a dump of the crash visual studio 2008 standard and
> I was not able to get the info they wanted. They suggest if I have dotnet 4
> installed I can use another tool to make easier to get the dump they want
>
> Should I install .net 4 or that will give me a lot of trouble?

3.5 and 4.0 can coexist.

It obviously require a bit of attention to ensure that
stuff that must be build on 3.5 indeed get build on 3.5
and not 4.0

Arne

GS

      15th May 2010
thx

so visual studio 2008 would then default to build with 4.0 then?

"Arne Vajh°j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4beea696$0$285$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 15-05-2010 01:39, GS wrote:
> > I currently uses 3.5 sp1 with vst 2008, no plan to go to 2010 for at

least
> > half a year.
> >
> > However, someone wanted a dump of the crash visual studio 2008 standard

and
> > I was not able to get the info they wanted. They suggest if I have

dotnet 4
> > installed I can use another tool to make easier to get the dump they

want

> > Should I install .net 4 or that will give me a lot of trouble?

> 3.5 and 4.0 can coexist.
>
> It obviously require a bit of attention to ensure that
> stuff that must be build on 3.5 indeed get build on 3.5
> and not 4.0
>
> Arne

Yves Dhondt

      15th May 2010
No. Visual Studio 2008 will not build with anything higher than 3.5.

Microsoft has always forced people to upgrade Visual Studio with every major
release of the framework.

Yves

"GS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> thx
>
> so visual studio 2008 would then default to build with 4.0 then?
>
> "Arne Vajh°j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4beea696$0$285$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 15-05-2010 01:39, GS wrote:
>> > I currently uses 3.5 sp1 with vst 2008, no plan to go to 2010 for at

> least
>> > half a year.
>> >
>> > However, someone wanted a dump of the crash visual studio 2008 standard

> and
>> > I was not able to get the info they wanted. They suggest if I have

> dotnet 4
>> > installed I can use another tool to make easier to get the dump they

> want
>> >
>> > Should I install .net 4 or that will give me a lot of trouble?

>> 3.5 and 4.0 can coexist.
>>
>> It obviously require a bit of attention to ensure that
>> stuff that must be build on 3.5 indeed get build on 3.5
>> and not 4.0
>>
>> Arne

Arne Vajh°j

      15th May 2010
On 15-05-2010 10:46, GS wrote:
> "Arne Vajh°j"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4beea696$0$285$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 15-05-2010 01:39, GS wrote:
>>> I currently uses 3.5 sp1 with vst 2008, no plan to go to 2010 for at

> least
>>> half a year.
>>>
>>> However, someone wanted a dump of the crash visual studio 2008 standard

> and
>>> I was not able to get the info they wanted. They suggest if I have

> dotnet 4
>>> installed I can use another tool to make easier to get the dump they

> want
>>>
>>> Should I install .net 4 or that will give me a lot of trouble?

>> 3.5 and 4.0 can coexist.
>>
>> It obviously require a bit of attention to ensure that
>> stuff that must be build on 3.5 indeed get build on 3.5
>> and not 4.0

> so visual studio 2008 would then default to build with 4.0 then?

No.

But you will have a 4.0 compiler, libraries and runtime on the
system.

And if you install 4.0 with VS 2010 then you will have a VS
that default build with 4.0.

Don't startup VS 2010 if installed, don't do any msbuild or
nant command line builds without checking what version is
being used.

Avoid third party stuff that relies on 4.0, because now
it will run on your development box, but not on the 3.5
systems you test and run production on.

Arne