DOS app paints line at a time

Randy L

      16th Sep 2003
I have a client that has a laptop and desktop in a small peer-to-peer
network both running Windows 2000. He has a DOS app that works something
like ACT or GOLDMINE for tracking client contacts. It works fine on the
laptop. We recently copied the DOS folder to the desktop to update the
desktop. The laptop has a screen where the bottom half displays contact
records by date- PAGE DOWN to next group of records - END to go to the end
to add a new contact record. END jumps to the last record by painting a
screen of records at a time and takes about 3 seconds. The same scenario on
the desktop for the same set of records will paint a line at a time and
takes about a minute and a half to get to the end of records. The software
is identical (because he copied the folder) both machines are running W2K.
There is no parameter that we know of in the DOS app to control this
behavior. It would seem to be something different in the W2K setup on each
machine. The DOS vendor is not longer available for support. We have checked
the parameters of the desktop icon to make sure they match as well. Any
suggestions?

Mark Blain

      16th Sep 2003
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:10:58 GMT, "Randy L" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a client that has a laptop and desktop in a small peer-to-peer
>network both running Windows 2000. He has a DOS app that works something
>like ACT or GOLDMINE for tracking client contacts. It works fine on the
>laptop. We recently copied the DOS folder to the desktop to update the
>desktop. The laptop has a screen where the bottom half displays contact
>records by date- PAGE DOWN to next group of records - END to go to the end
>to add a new contact record. END jumps to the last record by painting a
>screen of records at a time and takes about 3 seconds. The same scenario on
>the desktop for the same set of records will paint a line at a time and
>takes about a minute and a half to get to the end of records. The software
>is identical (because he copied the folder) both machines are running W2K.
>There is no parameter that we know of in the DOS app to control this
>behavior. It would seem to be something different in the W2K setup on each
>machine. The DOS vendor is not longer available for support. We have checked
>the parameters of the desktop icon to make sure they match as well. Any
>suggestions?

Try this fix, courtesy of the "WordPerfect for DOS under Windows"
website (<http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/windows.html>): with the
application running, press <alt>-<enter> to switch it to full-screen
mode, and see if that speeds up the repaints. If not, try using a
generic Microsoft video driver rather than one provided by your video
card manufacturer.