Domain rights

David Levine

      12th Apr 2004
I am having problems with workstations. When a user
first logs on, they can access any server, but after a
while, the name/password screen comes up if they try to
use the same resources. Relogging will allow them to
once again connect. I am running Active Directory on
2000 server pro. The problem comes when connecting to
either a raid on an NT system or a 2000 server. Anyone
know why the connection may (time out)? The networked
LOB software works fine at all times as do the network
printing.

Thanks

Ace Fekay [MVP]

      12th Apr 2004
In news:1b7fa01c420cc$1ccfbc90$(E-Mail Removed),
David Levine <(E-Mail Removed)> posted their thoughts,
then I offered mine
> I am having problems with workstations. When a user
> first logs on, they can access any server, but after a
> while, the name/password screen comes up if they try to
> use the same resources. Relogging will allow them to
> once again connect. I am running Active Directory on
> 2000 server pro. The problem comes when connecting to
> either a raid on an NT system or a 2000 server. Anyone
> know why the connection may (time out)? The networked
> LOB software works fine at all times as do the network
> printing.
>
> Thanks

accidental double post?

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --
=================================

Herb Martin

      12th Apr 2004
"David Levine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1b7fa01c420cc$1ccfbc90$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am having problems with workstations. When a user
> first logs on, they can access any server, but after a
> while, the name/password screen comes up if they try to
> use the same resources.

What kind of resource? Fileshare?

> Relogging will allow them to
> once again connect. I am running Active Directory on
> 2000 server pro.

No, you are not.

You might be running it on Win2000 SERVER, or pro is
the Workstation product.

> The problem comes when connecting to
> either a raid on an NT system or a 2000 server.

Authentication has little to do with the hardware disk system.

> Anyone
> know why the connection may (time out)? The networked
> LOB software works fine at all times as do the network
> printing.

What LOB software?

--
Herb Martin

> Thanks

David Levine

      13th Apr 2004
Yes.. sorry.. Verizon is giving me problems today

>accidental double post?
>

>--
>Regards,
>Ace
>
>Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can

benefit.
>This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and

confers no
>rights.
>
>Ace Fekay, MCSE 2000, MCSE+I, MCSA, MCT, MVP
>Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
>
>HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime

commitment for a
>pig. --
>=================================
>

>.

      13th Apr 2004
yes.. filesharing - network storage space.

OK then.. windows 2000 server for the ADS and xp
professional multilanguage for the workstations

the authentication problem is that the domain login seems
to expire.. I dont understand why the name/password
screen would come up.. it comes up if I try to go into
another XP system too.

The LOB software is Microsoft Attain.. formerly Navision
Attain

wrote in message
>news:1b7fa01c420cc$1ccfbc90$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am having problems with workstations. When a user
>> first logs on, they can access any server, but after a
>> while, the name/password screen comes up if they try to
>> use the same resources.

>What kind of resource? Fileshare?
>

>> Relogging will allow them to
>> once again connect. I am running Active Directory on
>> 2000 server pro.

>No, you are not.
>
>You might be running it on Win2000 SERVER, or pro is
>the Workstation product.
>
>> The problem comes when connecting to
>> either a raid on an NT system or a 2000 server.

>Authentication has little to do with the hardware disk

system.

>> Anyone
>> know why the connection may (time out)? The networked
>> LOB software works fine at all times as do the network
>> printing.

>What LOB software?
>
>--
>Herb Martin
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>.

AlbertoDiogo

      13th Apr 2004
Hello Ace,

I had exactly the same behaviour with a Windows XP Pro as client on a Windows 2000 server network.
I had to uninstall and reinstall network card software using original drivers. By some strange reason without any configuration windows changed driver and machine was losing connection after a few minutes.

Alberto

Ace Fekay [MVP] wrote:

> In news:1b7fa01c420cc$1ccfbc90$(E-Mail Removed),
> David Levine <(E-Mail Removed)> posted their thoughts,
> then I offered mine
>
>>I am having problems with workstations. When a user
>>first logs on, they can access any server, but after a
>>while, the name/password screen comes up if they try to
>>use the same resources. Relogging will allow them to
>>once again connect. I am running Active Directory on
>>2000 server pro. The problem comes when connecting to
>>either a raid on an NT system or a 2000 server. Anyone
>>know why the connection may (time out)? The networked
>>LOB software works fine at all times as do the network
>>printing.
>>
>>Thanks

> accidental double post?

Ace Fekay [MVP]

      13th Apr 2004
In news:1bcdb01c420e4$c3dc17f0$(E-Mail Removed),
(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>
posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
> yes.. filesharing - network storage space.
>

> OK then.. windows 2000 server for the ADS and xp
> professional multilanguage for the workstations
>
> the authentication problem is that the domain login seems
> to expire.. I dont understand why the name/password
> screen would come up.. it comes up if I try to go into
> another XP system too.
>
> The LOB software is Microsoft Attain.. formerly Navision
> Attain

David, we'll need more specific configuration information at this time. Can
we see an ipconfig /all from the client and from your domain controller
please? Can you also state for us your AD DNS domain name?

What sort of errors are in the Event viewer (any machine)? Please post the
Event ID #s please.

As for the LOB s/w, it wouldn't really matter what software you're running,
since assuming that authentication to it's resources are thru AD, then we
need to look away from it, unless you;re saying the data you are trying to
access is through Attain itself?

You also said something in the other thread about the name changing on the
start menu ?

Does this happen to all your clients or one specific machine?

Please post that info above so we can eliminate some of the obvious
possibilities.

Thanks

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --
=================================

Herb Martin

      13th Apr 2004
My systems lose connections but generally reconnect and
never require 're-authentication' during a single logon.

That's the normal case.

Have you searched the MS knowledge base?

It sounds like a weird GPO setting or the machines are
losing the connections to the DCs -- are you DCs all
available?

I don't think it's your DCs but what the heck, have you
run DCDiag on EACH DC?

--
Herb Martin
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1bcdb01c420e4$c3dc17f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> yes.. filesharing - network storage space.
>

> OK then.. windows 2000 server for the ADS and xp
> professional multilanguage for the workstations
>
> the authentication problem is that the domain login seems
> to expire.. I dont understand why the name/password
> screen would come up.. it comes up if I try to go into
> another XP system too.
>
> The LOB software is Microsoft Attain.. formerly Navision
> Attain

Sonny

      13th Apr 2004
could it be something as simple as dhcp lease renewing, returning a nack?

"Herb Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My systems lose connections but generally reconnect and
> never require 're-authentication' during a single logon.
>
> That's the normal case.
>
> Have you searched the MS knowledge base?
>
> It sounds like a weird GPO setting or the machines are
> losing the connections to the DCs -- are you DCs all
> available?
>
> I don't think it's your DCs but what the heck, have you
> run DCDiag on EACH DC?
>
> --
> Herb Martin
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1bcdb01c420e4$c3dc17f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > yes.. filesharing - network storage space.
> >

> > OK then.. windows 2000 server for the ADS and xp
> > professional multilanguage for the workstations
> >
> > the authentication problem is that the domain login seems
> > to expire.. I dont understand why the name/password
> > screen would come up.. it comes up if I try to go into
> > another XP system too.
> >
> > The LOB software is Microsoft Attain.. formerly Navision
> > Attain

Herb Martin

      13th Apr 2004
"Sonny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> could it be something as simple as deco lease renewing, returning a nack?

Ok, to fill this in:

Multiple DHCP servers WITHOUT overlapping scopes (and exclusions)
One nacks the others renewal (fairly short lease periods
which correspond [2x perhaps] to his symptoms)
Client re-binds and gets a new address...
This causes DCs to require re-authentication of client MACHINE????
This causes DCs to require re-authentication of client USER????

Is that what you have in mind?

I don't know if that happens but it would not shock me.

--
Herb Martin