Domain name problem ?

jakein2008

      22nd Jul 2008
When I install window server 2000, it need a domain name, for this domain
name ,do I need to register this domain name in hosting company or just any
name will work?

Thanks.

Sudharson AN

      22nd Jul 2008
Hi,

If this machine is a stand alone machine, then any name would do. If this
machine is going to be a part of a domain, you need to enter the FQDN (Fully
Qualified Domain Name) along with the right credentials that have permissions
to join this machine to the domain.

Hope this helps!!!

Regards
Sudharson AN

"jakein2008" wrote:

> When I install window server 2000, it need a domain name, for this domain
> name ,do I need to register this domain name in hosting company or just any
> name will work?
>
> Thanks.

Meinolf Weber

      22nd Jul 2008
Hello jakein2008,

You can use the name you like. But make sure that it always looks like company.loc
and not only company. If you make it only company without the the .loc or
..org or .whatever, you can become unwanted problems. These so named sinlge
label domain names should be avoided. It is also good practise to choose
only 3 characters at the end.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> When I install window server 2000, it need a domain name, for this
> domain name ,do I need to register this domain name in hosting company
> or just any name will work?
>
> Thanks.

jakein2008

      23rd Jul 2008
Hi, thank you for your answer.

Do i need to register my domain in the hosting company for me to use active
directory and send email from that domain?

Thanks.

"Meinolf Weber" wrote:

> Hello jakein2008,
>
> You can use the name you like. But make sure that it always looks like company.loc
> and not only company. If you make it only company without the the .loc or
> ..org or .whatever, you can become unwanted problems. These so named sinlge
> label domain names should be avoided. It is also good practise to choose
> only 3 characters at the end.
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>
> > When I install window server 2000, it need a domain name, for this
> > domain name ,do I need to register this domain name in hosting company
> > or just any name will work?
> >
> > Thanks.

Meinolf Weber

      23rd Jul 2008
Hello jakein2008,

Your public internet domain name has to be registered and your ISP has to
make the settings that mail can arrive at your mailserver. Your internal
domain name from AD is not needed.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Hi, thank you for your answer.
>
> Do i need to register my domain in the hosting company for me to use
> active directory and send email from that domain?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Meinolf Weber" wrote:
>
>> Hello jakein2008,
>>
>> You can use the name you like. But make sure that it always looks
>> like company.loc and not only company. If you make it only company
>> without the the .loc or ..org or .whatever, you can become unwanted
>> problems. These so named sinlge label domain names should be avoided.
>> It is also good practise to choose only 3 characters at the end.
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Meinolf Weber
>> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
>> confers
>> no rights.
>> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
>> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>>> When I install window server 2000, it need a domain name, for this
>>> domain name ,do I need to register this domain name in hosting
>>> company or just any name will work?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

jakein2008

      23rd Jul 2008
If I use internal domain name , can I send email from this domain name?

Thanks.

"Meinolf Weber" wrote:

> Hello jakein2008,
>
> Your public internet domain name has to be registered and your ISP has to
> make the settings that mail can arrive at your mailserver. Your internal
> domain name from AD is not needed.
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>
> > Hi, thank you for your answer.
> >
> > Do i need to register my domain in the hosting company for me to use
> > active directory and send email from that domain?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Meinolf Weber" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello jakein2008,
> >>
> >> You can use the name you like. But make sure that it always looks
> >> like company.loc and not only company. If you make it only company
> >> without the the .loc or ..org or .whatever, you can become unwanted
> >> problems. These so named sinlge label domain names should be avoided.
> >> It is also good practise to choose only 3 characters at the end.
> >>
> >> Best regards
> >>
> >> Meinolf Weber
> >> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> >> confers
> >> no rights.
> >> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> >> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm

Meinolf Weber

      24th Jul 2008
Hello jakein2008,

This is all based on the DNS settings inside your domain and also on the
settings configured at your provider site, to route email to your mailserver.
I would suggest to post to the DNS NG to get the correct infos about configuration
of DNS for mail sending and receiving about your provider.

microsoft.public.win2000.dns
microsoft.public.windows.server.dns

Best regards

Meinolf Weber