What does subscript out of range mean?

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lIFJhbW9z?=

      21st Mar 2006
When I'm importing an Excel spreadsheet into an Access DB the import wizard
gives me a dialog box stating that the subscript is out of range. I am
importing the table to be used in a report that has already been created.
I've tried importing the spreadsheet to a new DB and get the same error. I'm
working with Office 2003.

=?Utf-8?B?Qk1DIEVzdGltYXRvcg==?=

      22nd Mar 2006
I was having same problem trying to import from Excel. I posted a request
for help but did not get any responses. In the meantime, I deleted all empty
columns and rows (they were empty cells I deleted, but the worksheet
previously had content in cells out to last column of the worksheet). I then
had no problem importing the worksheet into Access. I think that once cells
in the worksheet have content or have formatting applied to them, even if
later deleted, Excel (or Access) looks at those cells as part of the import.
Deleting the empty columns and/or rows restores them to a "pristine"
condition (I'm guessing). You might also try copying the active cells to a
new worksheet. Hope this helps.

"Joe Ramos" wrote:

> When I'm importing an Excel spreadsheet into an Access DB the import wizard
> gives me a dialog box stating that the subscript is out of range. I am
> importing the table to be used in a report that has already been created.
> I've tried importing the spreadsheet to a new DB and get the same error. I'm
> working with Office 2003.

New Member

      18th Feb 2009
Hi there

My database contained an Auto Number field in the first column. I had to remove the columns from the Excel spreadsheet completely after which the import worked fine.

The Excel spreadsheet is not allowed to contain any references to the associated Auto Number column in the DB.

Francis of Harvey

      8th May 2009

"Joe Ramos" wrote:

> When I'm importing an Excel spreadsheet into an Access DB the import wizard
> gives me a dialog box stating that the subscript is out of range. I am
> importing the table to be used in a report that has already been created.
> I've tried importing the spreadsheet to a new DB and get the same error. I'm
> working with Office 2003.

Francis of Harvey

      8th May 2009
I also had this message when importing from Excel into an Access DB and later
solved the problem. The trouble was that there was more than one type of data
in one of the columns of the Excel spreadsheet. There were both text fields
and date fields in the same Excel column and Access would not accept this.
When I removed the date fields, the Excel data was imported as normal. Try to
check your spreadsheet to make sure that the data type in each column matches
with the data type format in the Access DB columns and I think that this will
solve your problem. Hope this helps you.

"Joe Ramos" wrote:

> When I'm importing an Excel spreadsheet into an Access DB the import wizard
> gives me a dialog box stating that the subscript is out of range. I am
> importing the table to be used in a report that has already been created.
> I've tried importing the spreadsheet to a new DB and get the same error. I'm
> working with Office 2003.

Francis of Harvey

      28th May 2009
In addition to making sure that the data types in the Excel sheet columns
correspond to the data types in the Access table, you may want to make sure
that the Ecel sheet has no hidden columns or rows. I encountered a persistent
problem with one Excel sheet that gave a ""subcript out of range" message.
The only way this sheet would import was for me to highlight all columns and
then select the command to "unhide columns" in the format menu. Although I
had no hidden columns, this command itself was sufficient for the Excel sheet
to adjust itself and allow it to be imported into Access. It seems that
Access is very sensitive to certain formatting situations in Excel that
prevent Excel tables from being imported. Whatever the reason, this action
finally allowed the import to take place. Hope this info helps you.

"Joe Ramos" wrote:

> When I'm importing an Excel spreadsheet into an Access DB the import wizard
> gives me a dialog box stating that the subscript is out of range. I am
> importing the table to be used in a report that has already been created.
> I've tried importing the spreadsheet to a new DB and get the same error. I'm
> working with Office 2003.

Helen

      2nd Jun 2009
having spent half a working day on this and doing all the usual things re
data types, named ranges etc etc, the only way round it I can find it to
import the spreadsheet into a new table rather than appending it to an
existing one, and then taking the existing data from the Access table to the
newly created one. A real pain but at least it worked. Only trouble is - if
you have existing queries, reports etc they may have to be re-done.

"Francis of Harvey" wrote:

> In addition to making sure that the data types in the Excel sheet columns
> correspond to the data types in the Access table, you may want to make sure
> that the Ecel sheet has no hidden columns or rows. I encountered a persistent
> problem with one Excel sheet that gave a ""subcript out of range" message.
> The only way this sheet would import was for me to highlight all columns and
> then select the command to "unhide columns" in the format menu. Although I
> had no hidden columns, this command itself was sufficient for the Excel sheet
> to adjust itself and allow it to be imported into Access. It seems that
> Access is very sensitive to certain formatting situations in Excel that
> prevent Excel tables from being imported. Whatever the reason, this action
> finally allowed the import to take place. Hope this info helps you.
>
> "Joe Ramos" wrote:
>
> > When I'm importing an Excel spreadsheet into an Access DB the import wizard
> > gives me a dialog box stating that the subscript is out of range. I am
> > importing the table to be used in a report that has already been created.
> > I've tried importing the spreadsheet to a new DB and get the same error. I'm
> > working with Office 2003.

sponge.worthy

      10th Aug 2009
Like others here I spent hours looking for a way to get around this error.
When I figured it out, i felt like kicking myself. You know how when you
start Access there is that "Security Warning - certain content blah blah
disabled" message is there below the ribbon? Just click options and select
"allow this content". The data came in after that! I couldn't believe it -
Access was denying access to Access...

I know this is too late for you Joe, but hopefully it will help others in
the future.

Cheers,
-sw

"Joe Ramos" wrote:

> When I'm importing an Excel spreadsheet into an Access DB the import wizard
> gives me a dialog box stating that the subscript is out of range. I am
> importing the table to be used in a report that has already been created.
> I've tried importing the spreadsheet to a new DB and get the same error. I'm
> working with Office 2003.

i.need.help

      20th Aug 2009
Hallelujah! I had tried all of the other helpful hints but nothing worked
until your suggestion. BRILLIANT! Thanks so much!