What does "overflow" message mean in Microsoft Access??

=?Utf-8?B?T2ZmaWNlIFVzZXI=?=

      30th Sep 2004
I continuously get an overflow message in access when i am trying to download
a report in my database. Does this mean that the database has too much
information in it? What can be down to fix this problem?

Ken Snell [MVP]

      30th Sep 2004
Most likely it means that the size of a numeric value that is being imported
into a table is *too large* or *too small* for the field type. For example,
a field that is set for Integer can handle values between -32,768 and
32,767. If you try to put the number 1,000,0000 into this field, the
"overflow" message error will occur.

--

Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"Office User" <Office (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I continuously get an overflow message in access when i am trying to

download
> a report in my database. Does this mean that the database has too much
> information in it? What can be down to fix this problem?

Allen Browne

      30th Sep 2004
An "overflow" occurs when a field is not big enough to accept the data.

When you perform an import, Access looks at the first few rows of each
column, and tries to determine whether it is Text, Date, Number, etc. If
later columns prove to have wildly different values, its original decision
about the type and size required may prove inadequate - particularly for
Number fields.

There are several workarounds, depending on where the data is coming from.
If you are importing a Text file, you can click the Advanced button once you
are in the Import Wizard, and you can define the data types of the fields
you want to use. You can then save this Import Specification, and tell
Access to use it again next time you perform a TransferText.

If you are importing from Excel, see:
"Numeric Field Overflow" error message occurs when you query a table
that is linked to Excel spreadsheet
at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...77&Product=acc
or
Import, export, and link data between Access and Excel
at:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/as...px?Product=acc

The overflow is very easy to demonstrate:
1. Open the Immediate window by pressing Ctrl+G.

2. Enter:
? 200 * 200

You receive an overflow, because Access treats these numbers as type
Integer. When you multiply them, the result is bigger than 32767 (the
largest integer), and so the integer type overflows. You can avoid this
problem by forcing Access to treat at least one of the numbers as a Long
Integer:
? CLng(200) * 200

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.

"Office User" <Office (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I continuously get an overflow message in access when i am trying to
>download
> a report in my database. Does this mean that the database has too much
> information in it? What can be down to fix this problem?

Anne

      4th Oct 2004
I got the overflow message, when my query resulted in #error because of
division by a null value.
Anne