Does Outlook Security impact Palm Desktop?

Donald Cole

      18th Jan 2004
I use Palm Pilot and sync to Outlook for everything except
my Expense records. I have tried to upgrade Palm to 4.1
and get the errors below. Tech support at Palm Pilot said
that it was my computer doing this. I recently downloaded
the Outlook security patches and notice that when I do a
hot sync, that I have to check a box to allow the hot sync
access to my contact list. I am wondering if this new
security is something that is keeping me from being able
to upgrade. Hope someone can help out

Detailed Description: Trying to upgrade to 4.1 and get the
following
message: "The feature you are trying to use is on a
network resource
that is unavailable. Click OK to try again or enter an
alternate path to
a folder containing the installation package "Palm
Desktop.msi" in the
box below.

I clicked Browse and found the folder with the file and
clicked on that
one only to get the following message:

The file C:\Download\Palm Desktop Setup Files\Palm
Desktop.msi is not a
valid installation package for the product Palm Desktop.
Try to find the
installation package "Palm Desktop.msi" in a folder from
which you can
install Palm Desktop.

When that didn't work several times I cancelled and got
the following
message:

Error 1714. The older version of Palm Desktop cannot be
removed. Contact
your technical support group.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

      19th Jan 2004
Two different problems, really - the reason you're being prompted is because
your older version of the Palm Hotsync software can't deal properly with the
Outlook security updates. So in that sence, Palm support is correct.
However, if you aren't able to upgrade your Palm Desktop software, that's a
Palm software problem entirely and has nothing to do with Outlook.

I'd try downloading the full Palm Desktop 4.1 (or whatever the latest
version is) again and try it again....it shouldn't require that you
uninstall first.