Where does Outlook 2003 store Contacts information

=?Utf-8?B?U3RlcE9uZQ==?=

      9th Jun 2006
Hi,

Does anyone know where Outlook stores the user's Contacts information and
the name of the file? I thought it would be in:

C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

but if it is , I can't find it.

As an experiment I've renamed every file in the above folder on my own PC
with the .old extension, but when I open Outlook, my Contacts are still
there. A user's account has been removed from a PC and now when it's
probably too late, she would like her Outlook Contacts. I would like to try
an Undelete program, if I knew which file to try and recover.

Many thanks

=?Utf-8?B?TWl0dHU=?=

      9th Jun 2006
Hi,

Outlook stores all the data including contacts, calendar, emails into a file
with a .pst extension.
Usually, the location you had mentioned is exactly the folder where the data
would be located, unless it was manually moved to a different folder.
You could run a search for the pst file (making sure that we search the
hidden files and folders) and retreive the data.
Once you have it, copy the file onto the Desktop and try opening it in
Outlook by going under File> Open> Outlook DAtafile.

Thanks,

Mittu

"StepOne" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know where Outlook stores the user's Contacts information and
> the name of the file? I thought it would be in:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
>
> but if it is , I can't find it.
>
> As an experiment I've renamed every file in the above folder on my own PC
> with the .old extension, but when I open Outlook, my Contacts are still
> there. A user's account has been removed from a PC and now when it's
> probably too late, she would like her Outlook Contacts. I would like to try
> an Undelete program, if I knew which file to try and recover.
>
> Many thanks

=?Utf-8?B?U3RlcE9uZQ==?=

      9th Jun 2006
Hi Mittu,

Many thanks. As you suggested I did a search for files with the .pst
extension and discovered that on my computer (Win 2K, but win XP is the same)
I have this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

and
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook

and it's this second folder where the outlook.pst file is stored. I had
been looking in the first folder and didn't know about the second.

Thanks again.

"Mittu" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Outlook stores all the data including contacts, calendar, emails into a file
> with a .pst extension.
> Usually, the location you had mentioned is exactly the folder where the data
> would be located, unless it was manually moved to a different folder.
> You could run a search for the pst file (making sure that we search the
> hidden files and folders) and retreive the data.
> Once you have it, copy the file onto the Desktop and try opening it in
> Outlook by going under File> Open> Outlook DAtafile.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Mittu
>

> "StepOne" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know where Outlook stores the user's Contacts information and
> > the name of the file? I thought it would be in:
> >
> > C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
> >
> > but if it is , I can't find it.
> >
> > As an experiment I've renamed every file in the above folder on my own PC
> > with the .old extension, but when I open Outlook, my Contacts are still
> > there. A user's account has been removed from a PC and now when it's
> > probably too late, she would like her Outlook Contacts. I would like to try
> > an Undelete program, if I knew which file to try and recover.
> >
> > Many thanks

=?Utf-8?B?TWl0dHU=?=

      9th Jun 2006
Cheers