How does one remove lines?

Steve Hayes

      1st Nov 2006
I wanted to separate pieces of text in word 97 with three dashes ---

Instead it drew a line right across the page, and now I can't delete it.

How do I get rid of this line?

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw

Ed

      1st Nov 2006
Hi, Steve. You might want to try these:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm

Ed

"Steve Hayes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I wanted to separate pieces of text in word 97 with three dashes ---
>
> Instead it drew a line right across the page, and now I can't delete it.
>
> How do I get rid of this line?
>

> --
> Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
> http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw
> E-mail - see web page, or parse: shayes at dunelm full stop org full stop
> uk

Steve Hayes

      2nd Nov 2006
On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 14:35:28 -0700, "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi, Steve. You might want to try these:
>
>http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm
>
>http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm

Thanks for that.

Problem is, that when I select the text and remove the "Borders and shading"
it simply moves that format back to the preceding paragraph.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw

Ed

      2nd Nov 2006
> Problem is, that when I select the text and remove the "Borders and
> shading"
> it simply moves that format back to the preceding paragraph.

Did you select several paragraphs, including ones before your problem
paragraph, and use the Ctrl+Q trick explained in
>>http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm ??

You might also have an issue covered in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm

HTH
Ed

"Steve Hayes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 14:35:28 -0700, "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi, Steve. You might want to try these:
>>
>>http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm
>>
>>http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm

> Thanks for that.
>
> Problem is, that when I select the text and remove the "Borders and
> shading"
> it simply moves that format back to the preceding paragraph.
>

> --
> Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
> http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw
> E-mail - see web page, or parse: shayes at dunelm full stop org full stop
> uk

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      2nd Nov 2006
If you had read the article carefully, you would have read:

Note: If you've pressed Enter several times trying to get rid of the line,
you will merely have applied the border formatting to all the paragraphs you
added, as well as to the original one. This won't be obvious, because when
several consecutive paragraphs have the same "border below" formatting
applied to them, the border only appears below the last of them. So If you
then remove the Border formatting from the paragraph that has the line below
it, the line will move up one paragraph. The trick is to select all the
affected paragraphs and either press Ctrl+Q or choose No Border.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)