How does one blur out faces

Trevor L.

      25th Apr 2007

Many times one sees images where faces have been blurred, presumably to
protect person's privacy.

I have tried a few ways to do this but I can't seem to get the same effect.

All I can do is use the erase tool in Paint but it looks messy

Does any one have any ideas how it is done?
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.

John Inzer

      25th Apr 2007
Trevor L. wrote:
> Many times one sees images where faces have been blurred, presumably
> to protect person's privacy.
>
> I have tried a few ways to do this but I can't seem to get the same
> effect.
> All I can do is use the erase tool in Paint but it looks messy
>
> Does any one have any ideas how it is done?

==================================
In an advanced digital image editing program...
you can select a portion of an image...a face
for example...and blur it as much as you wish.

You could try the trial version of MS Digital Image
Suite if you like:

Microsoft Digital Image
Starter Edition 2006
http://tinyurl.com/8x6ea
(this offer is no longer being
promoted but I'm relatively sure
you can still download it and
run it for 60 days)

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Trevor L.

      25th Apr 2007
John Inzer wrote:
> Trevor L. wrote:
>> Many times one sees images where faces have been blurred, presumably
>> to protect person's privacy.
>>
>> I have tried a few ways to do this but I can't seem to get the same
>> effect.
>> All I can do is use the erase tool in Paint but it looks messy
>>
>> Does any one have any ideas how it is done?

> ==================================
> In an advanced digital image editing program...
> you can select a portion of an image...a face
> for example...and blur it as much as you wish.
>
> You could try the trial version of MS Digital Image
> Suite if you like:
>
> Microsoft Digital Image
> Starter Edition 2006
> http://tinyurl.com/8x6ea
> (this offer is no longer being
> promoted but I'm relatively sure
> you can still download it and
> run it for 60 days)
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> MS Picture It! -
> Digital Image MVP

O.K. I might try that for the trial period.

I see you are a Picture It! MVP. I don't suppose there is any way Picture
It! will do it, or any free MS software

I also have Adobe Photoshop Elements and ACDSee and possibly some Canon and
HP software (if they came with the scanner and printer - I haven't checked
any of this stuff lately)

Also IrfanView, of course
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.

John Inzer

      25th Apr 2007
Trevor L. wrote:
> O.K. I might try that for the trial period.
>
> I see you are a Picture It! MVP. I don't suppose there is any way
> Picture It! will do it, or any free MS software

=======================
Picture It! should work for you.
Which version do you have?
Some of the express versions
may not have the necessary tools.
===========================
> I also have Adobe Photoshop Elements and ACDSee and possibly some
> Canon and HP software (if they came with the scanner and printer - I
> haven't checked any of this stuff lately)
>
> Also IrfanView, of course

===========================
Any program that allows layers should
work for your project.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Tom from WI

      25th Apr 2007
You can blur a rectangle in your picture using Irfanview. Use the crop tool
to select a rectangle in your picture that you want to blur. Then choose
Image, then Effects, then Effects Browser, then Radial Blur. By sliding the
slider to the right, your selected rectangle will blur. I haven't figured
out how to select shapes in Irfanview other than rectangles.

Tom

"Trevor L." <Trevor_L.@Canberra> wrote in message
news:%23XkXX$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Many times one sees images where faces have been blurred, presumably to
> protect person's privacy.
>
> I have tried a few ways to do this but I can't seem to get the same
> effect.
>
> All I can do is use the erase tool in Paint but it looks messy
>
> Does any one have any ideas how it is done?
> --
> Cheers,
> Trevor L.

John Inzer

      25th Apr 2007
Tom from WI wrote:
> You can blur a rectangle in your picture using Irfanview. Use the
> crop tool to select a rectangle in your picture that you want to
> blur. Then choose Image, then Effects, then Effects Browser, then
> Radial Blur. By sliding the slider to the right, your selected
> rectangle will blur. I haven't figured out how to select shapes in
> Irfanview other than rectangles.
> Tom

====================
Excellent tip Tom...

Thanks.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Trevor L.

      4th May 2007
John Inzer wrote:
> =======================
> Picture It! should work for you.
> Which version do you have?
> Some of the express versions
> may not have the necessary tools.
> ===========================

Sorry for the delay but this was for my wife and she has just found the
Picture It! tool.

She tried Transparancy and it worked well
--
Cheers,
Trevor Lawrence

Trevor L. wrote:
> John Inzer wrote:
>> =======================
>> Picture It! should work for you.
>> Which version do you have?
>> Some of the express versions
>> may not have the necessary tools.
>> ===========================

> Sorry for the delay but this was for my wife and she has just found
> the Picture It! tool.
>
> She tried Transparancy and it worked well

==========================
Excellent!

Thanks for the update.

--