does microsoft approve of their name on malware-sites? how to repo

TigR

      5th Oct 2008
I have tried to search for "kenwood manual walkie 240" through google and the
site-link:

pb-casual.com/ps/9/pages.php?p=14439

relays you to

http://your-windows-scanner.com/scan/

which claims to be safe and able to show you how your current security
settings are.

also with a load of popup-windows it tries to convince you (and not advanced
users will be convinced) to install the program to fix your settings and all
the so-called infected files it finds during the "scan".

the file it tries to install is called:

SystemAntivirus2008.exe

from http://upgrade-soft-ware-now.com

doesn't microsoft own a place where you simply can type in the site and
there will be an employe looking into it?

if not, it's hereby passed on to this community

Stu

      5th Oct 2008
When IE8 is released first quarter of next year (I think), the short answer
will be Yes - thru the browser itself where there is a Smart Screen Filter
option to check websites or report unsafe ones. As of now IE8 is at Beta2 so
I would not like to suggest using it on these newsgroups unless you are
confident of dealing with the pitfalls of beta software.

Stu

"TigR" wrote:

> I have tried to search for "kenwood manual walkie 240" through google and the
> site-link:
>
> pb-casual.com/ps/9/pages.php?p=14439
>
> relays you to
>
> http://your-windows-scanner.com/scan/
>
> which claims to be safe and able to show you how your current security
> settings are.
>
> also with a load of popup-windows it tries to convince you (and not advanced
> users will be convinced) to install the program to fix your settings and all
> the so-called infected files it finds during the "scan".
>
> the file it tries to install is called:
>
> SystemAntivirus2008.exe
>
> from http://upgrade-soft-ware-now.com
>
> doesn't microsoft own a place where you simply can type in the site and
> there will be an employe looking into it?
>
> if not, it's hereby passed on to this community

Engel

      5th Oct 2008

Talking about rogues

<http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2008/10/02/rogue-antivirus-a-closer-look-at-win32-antivirusxp.aspx>

Beware and goog luck
-=-

"TigR" wrote:

> I have tried to search for "kenwood manual walkie 240" through google and the
> site-link:
>
> pb-casual.com/ps/9/pages.php?p=14439
>
> relays you to
>
> http://your-windows-scanner.com/scan/
>
> which claims to be safe and able to show you how your current security
> settings are.
>
> also with a load of popup-windows it tries to convince you (and not advanced
> users will be convinced) to install the program to fix your settings and all
> the so-called infected files it finds during the "scan".
>
> the file it tries to install is called:
>
> SystemAntivirus2008.exe
>
> from http://upgrade-soft-ware-now.com
>
> doesn't microsoft own a place where you simply can type in the site and
> there will be an employe looking into it?
>
> if not, it's hereby passed on to this community

Stu

      9th Oct 2008
Nice job Dave. I`m a McAfee freek .. plus of course.. what else??
With IE8 its being a bit of a naughty boy ...

Stu