What does this mean ?

Ezechiele

      28th Nov 2008
Due to AMD AM2+ CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is only supported by 1 dimm per
channel.

I need to buy 8Gb DDR2 1066 memory for my Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H (rev.
1.0) motherboard. WIll I be able to use 8Gb of memory or more ?

--
Register here: http://www.000webhost.com/92681.html

*** 1500 MB of disk space
*** 100 GB of data transfer
*** PHP and MySQL support with no restrictions
*** cPanel control panel
*** Website Builder

jaster

      28th Nov 2008
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 18:18:49 +0000, Ezechiele thoughfully wrote:

> Due to AMD AM2+ CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is only supported by 1 dimm
> per channel.
>
> I need to buy 8Gb DDR2 1066 memory for my Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H
> (rev. 1.0) motherboard. WIll I be able to use 8Gb of memory or more ?

I think it means you can only use 2-4GB DDR2 modules 1 each slot.

Unless you're running a Windows 64bit OS version, IIRC only 3GB of
memory will be used. All 8GB will be used if you're running Linux.

Ezechiele

      28th Nov 2008

> I think it means you can only use 2-4GB DDR2 modules 1 each slot.

Well, I had doubts for I never have seen two modules inserted in each slot

> Unless you're running a Windows 64bit OS version, IIRC only 3GB of
> memory will be used. All 8GB will be used if you're running Linux.

And what if I would like to use 16 Gb do DDR 2 memory ?

--
Register here: http://www.000webhost.com/92681.html

*** 1500 MB of disk space
*** 100 GB of data transfer
*** PHP and MySQL support with no restrictions
*** cPanel control panel
*** Website Builder

Paul

      28th Nov 2008
Ezechiele wrote:

>> I think it means you can only use 2-4GB DDR2 modules 1 each slot.

> Well, I had doubts for I never have seen two modules inserted in each slot
>

>> Unless you're running a Windows 64bit OS version, IIRC only 3GB of
>> memory will be used. All 8GB will be used if you're running Linux.

> And what if I would like to use 16 Gb do DDR 2 memory ?

You can run two sticks of RAM at the DDR2-1066 speed.

You can run four sticks of RAM at the DDR2-800 speed.

These are statements related to the drive capability of
the processor. It can only run the DDR2-1066 case, when
the bus is lightly loaded. Once four sticks are installed,
then the clock rate to the memory must be reduced.

If you purchase a DDR2-1066 stick of memory, you can
run it at a lower speed, like DDR2-800. So there is
room to carry out experiments.

And this page has the memory limits of a number of
Windows OSes.

Paul

Ezechiele

      29th Nov 2008

> And this page has the memory limits of a number of Windows OSes.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx
>
> Paul

I have forgotten to write I use Linux only, and Windows in a virtual
machine, es. VirtualBox

fra