what does it mean: converged network services?

ILiya

      8th Jun 2005
Hello,
Would anyone please explain the meaning of these technical terms to me
explicitely (for translation purposes, not quite sure if i'm correct to
address them here but still maybe someone will help me):

1. converged packet infrastructure
2. converged network services
3. Service Separation Architecture
4. Switch Fabric

Thank you in advance!

Neteng

      8th Jun 2005
Sounds like you've been talking to a Marketing/Sales person!

1. converged packet infrastructure - Never heard this one before, but it
sounds like #2 so look there please
2. converged network services - Here they combine voice, data, and video
across a single infrastructure (routers and switches)
3. Service Separation Architecture - Another new one, but it sounds like the
opposite of #2
4. Switch Fabric - The backplane of a switch. As data flows from one port to
another it crosses the switch fabric.

"ILiya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> Would anyone please explain the meaning of these technical terms to me
> explicitely (for translation purposes, not quite sure if i'm correct to
> address them here but still maybe someone will help me):
>
> 1. converged packet infrastructure
> 2. converged network services
> 3. Service Separation Architecture
> 4. Switch Fabric
>
> Thank you in advance!

ILiya

      8th Jun 2005
Thank you. I've beel lucky to find the source of the article i'been working
on (sometimes people can make it very hard to do business):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...8022da42.shtml

"Neteng" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#vnz8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sounds like you've been talking to a Marketing/Sales person!
>
> 1. converged packet infrastructure - Never heard this one before, but it
> sounds like #2 so look there please
> 2. converged network services - Here they combine voice, data, and video
> across a single infrastructure (routers and switches)
> 3. Service Separation Architecture - Another new one, but it sounds like

the
> opposite of #2
> 4. Switch Fabric - The backplane of a switch. As data flows from one port

> another it crosses the switch fabric.
>

> "ILiya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> > Would anyone please explain the meaning of these technical terms to me
> > explicitely (for translation purposes, not quite sure if i'm correct to
> > address them here but still maybe someone will help me):
> >
> > 1. converged packet infrastructure
> > 2. converged network services
> > 3. Service Separation Architecture
> > 4. Switch Fabric
> >
> > Thank you in advance!

New Member

      15th Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILiya View Post
Hello,
Would anyone please explain the meaning of these technical terms to me
explicitely (for translation purposes, not quite sure if i'm correct to
address them here but still maybe someone will help me):

1. converged packet infrastructure
2. converged network services
3. Service Separation Architecture
4. Switch Fabric

Thank you in advance!
Convergence is a movement in technology to combine resources and applications onto one level platform for interoperability and optimization. It not only encompasses migrating streaming applications such as voice and video onto one IP based infrastructure, but movements in network technologies to streamline system management and reduce hardware to maximize efficiency.

New Member

      16th May 2011
thanks for the informative discussion