Does Group Policy interact with AD sites and services

JamesKirkuss@googlemail.com

      8th May 2007
Hi All,

I will be creating a new S&S container with a new subnet for a new
site in AD, I am wondering do I need to create a new OU for this or
can I use an existing OU in AD to deploy Group Polcy and application
deployment.

My situation is I am moving users to a new office but would like to do
this with the least admin overhead as possible so would like to use
the OU the users are in and just create a new S7S container. The
existing servers in the old office will be moved along with the users
so I may get away with just reconfiguring the existing S&S container
which would be great.

Any tips on moving sites and OU would be welcome.

Regards,

James.

Kurt

      9th May 2007
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I will be creating a new S&S container with a new subnet for a new
> site in AD, I am wondering do I need to create a new OU for this or
> can I use an existing OU in AD to deploy Group Polcy and application
> deployment.
>
> My situation is I am moving users to a new office but would like to do
> this with the least admin overhead as possible so would like to use
> the OU the users are in and just create a new S7S container. The
> existing servers in the old office will be moved along with the users
> so I may get away with just reconfiguring the existing S&S container
> which would be great.
>
> Any tips on moving sites and OU would be welcome.
>
> Regards,
>
> James.

If everything is moving, why do you need to reconfigure anything? Can't
you just use the same subnet as before? If you leave everything the
same, the only thing you'll need to change is the IP address of the WAN
link to the new site (which should be completely transparent to Windows).

....kurt

JamesKirkuss@googlemail.com

      9th May 2007
Hi,

Our WAn team are using a new subnet for the new site so will have to
create a new connection in sites and services, they are doing this so
we can test the new subnet whilst the old 1 is in use, then over a
weekend we will move servers, users, etc to new subnet and diable the
old.

Can I still use the old OU which is in place in the old subnet? and
just add the new PC's to the old OU and keep our login scripts,
application deployment group policies in the old container.

Thanks.