Does Excel have a less than or equal to symbol?

Ciar?n

      30th Sep 2004
Is there any way in excel to type the less than or equal symbol into a
cell?
I'm not actually creating a formula here, I am look to type the less
than or equal to symbol as text.

Regards,
Ciarán

Alex

      30th Sep 2004
Ciaran

I am not quite sure what the problem is here. Excel
uses '<=' for 'less than or equal to' and '>='
for 'greater than or equal to'.

Now, I am using Excel 2003. I can type in <= and it
remains in the cell as text. All seems fine.

Maybe you ought to check that the cell you are using is
formatted as 'General' or 'Text'.

Your request seems odd and I think I have misunderstood.
Do reply if I have not got it right and I shall endeavour
to assist you.

Wait a minute...

Try <Insert> <Symbol...> and in the drop down box select
<Mathematical Operators>. Here you will find the less
than or equal to symbol. Is that what you need?

And finally, if you precede your input into a cell with
a ' then the input is treated as text. Maybe try that
also.

Alex

Debra Dalgleish

      30th Sep 2004
The Symbol font has those characters.

To enter 'less than or equal to':
Hold the Alt key, and on the number keypad, type: 0163

To enter 'greater than or equal to':
Hold the Alt key, and on the number keypad, type: 0179

Format the cell with Symbol font, or select the character in the cell,
and format them with Symbol font.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

New Member

      21st Jan 2013
Hold "Alt" and then press "243" for less than or equal to, or press "242" for greater than or equal to.

Alt + 242 : ≥
Alt + 243 : ≤

This way you do not need to switch between fonts (assuming you are not ordinarily using the Symbols font to input data into cells).

Hope that helps!