PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

"Document not saved" when target is network share

 
 
John Lawler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      15th Apr 2010
Hi, I've done a couple of hours of research and experimentation on this
problem so far and have gotten mostly no where.

I have a client who just installed Office 2007 (on Windows XP SP3) in an
environment where we're running an NT 4 Server as the Domain controller and
file server (yes I know, it's hopelessly outdated and unsupported, but
please, if that's all the input you have, stop reading now).

It seems that everyone who's had this problem in Office 2007+ is having it
on Vista and that it might be related to Offline Files (we've disable that,
and it does no good), etc. I don't think those scenarios apply to us.

The network location we're trying to save to is one of the shares on the NT
4 server we've always used for most shared files and which has never been a
problem (including through Office 2003). I gather that some extra security
attributes are possibly required now w/ 2007+ that I'm guessing may not be
properly set on my NT 4 shares. I've already verified that they're enabled
for Full Control, and then even set them up with Special Access and granted
all permissions except Take Ownership.

Does anyone have any insight into what may've changed with Office 2007 and
perhaps have a vague memory of how these security settings are directly (or
at all) compatible with NT 4 (as in, pehaps NT 4 does not support the
permission types that are now required, and thus Office 2007 thinks the
permissions are denied)?

That's my best guess. I'd greatly appreciate any insight you may have.

For the record, we have loose plans for moving off NT 4 server within the
next 1-2 years, but frankly, this has been one of the first hard problems
we've really had with the server software (at least I think that's what it
is), but if I can't solve this now, my customer may have to revert to his
previous version of Office until we do that.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ian Maffett
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      15th Apr 2010
Might have been a recent update? I have the exact same problem (I know, how many others will we find on NT4?) Stranger yet, however, is the fact that I have 2 XP Pro SP3 boxes with O-2007 Basic where one works just fine... That's got me pulling my hair out - have tried everything I can think of from the MSKB-291204 [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291204]
to removing Office, cleaning registry of it and reinstalling with no avail. Right now, I am about to do a system restore to the previous checkpoint followed by removing SP3 as a more drastic measure. Not that I want to...
I'll update
-Ian




John Lawler wrote:

"Document not saved" when target is network share
15-Apr-10

Hi, I have done a couple of hours of research and experimentation on thi
problem so far and have gotten mostly no where

I have a client who just installed Office 2007 (on Windows XP SP3) in a
environment where we are running an NT 4 Server as the Domain controller an
file server (yes I know, it is hopelessly outdated and unsupported, bu
please, if that is all the input you have, stop reading now)

It seems that everyone who is had this problem in Office 2007+ is having i
on Vista and that it might be related to Offline Files (we have disable that
and it does no good), etc. I do not think those scenarios apply to us

The network location we are trying to save to is one of the shares on the N
4 server we have always used for most shared files and which has never been
problem (including through Office 2003). I gather that some extra securit
attributes are possibly required now w/ 2007+ that I am guessing may not b
properly set on my NT 4 shares. I have already verified that they are enable
for Full Control, and then even set them up with Special Access and grante
all permissions except Take Ownership

Does anyone have any insight into what may've changed with Office 2007 an
perhaps have a vague memory of how these security settings are directly (o
at all) compatible with NT 4 (as in, pehaps NT 4 does not support th
permission types that are now required, and thus Office 2007 thinks th
permissions are denied)

That's my best guess. I'd greatly appreciate any insight you may have

For the record, we have loose plans for moving off NT 4 server within th
next 1-2 years, but frankly, this has been one of the first hard problem
we have really had with the server software (at least I think that is what i
is), but if I cannot solve this now, my customer may have to revert to hi
previous version of Office until we do that.

Previous Posts In This Thread:


Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
Build a Cross-Browser ASP.NET CSS-Only Menu UserControl
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...owser-asp.aspx
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ian Maffett
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      15th Apr 2010
Definitely an MS update from today (automagic updates) - after a shutdown, the other one is acting the same way. Time to get off of NT4... at least here, anyway.

Updates specified are 4/13 - http://www.microsoft.com/security/up...ns/201004.aspx




Ian Maffett wrote:

Same here...
15-Apr-10

Might have been a recent update? I have the exact same problem (I know, how many others will we find on NT4?) Stranger yet, however, is the fact that I have 2 XP Pro SP3 boxes with O-2007 Basic where one works just fine... That's got me pulling my hair out - have tried everything I can think of from the MSKB-291204 [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291204]
to removing Office, cleaning registry of it and reinstalling with no avail. Right now, I am about to do a system restore to the previous checkpoint followed by removing SP3 as a more drastic measure. Not that I want to...
I'll update
-Ian

Previous Posts In This Thread:


Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
WPF GridView Sample To Insert, Update, and Delete Records
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ple-to-in.aspx
 
Reply With Quote
 
97prelude Weber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      16th Apr 2010
We have the same thing happening, and after trying MANY KB articles, etc, we have no solution.

Both machines are XP SP3, Office 2007. Both machines auto-updated at 3pm on 4/14, and yesterday after the overnight reboot, the trouble began.

Microsoft, this one needs some attention quickly! Saving locally and then copying back to the network share is ridiculous!



Ian Maffett wrote:

Update
15-Apr-10

Definitely an MS update from today (automagic updates) - after a shutdown, the other one is acting the same way. Time to get off of NT4... at least here, anyway.

Updates specified are 4/13 - http://www.microsoft.com/security/up...ns/201004.aspx

Previous Posts In This Thread:


Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
IIS 7.0 Extensionless UrlRewriting (Short urls)
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...nless-url.aspx
 
Reply With Quote
 
M Chadders
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Apr 2010
Had the self same issue. NT4 Fileserver, Excel 2007, XP SP2 Client. Couldn't save from Excel or word for that matter. Roled back the updates from the 14 April:

Security Updates
KB975561
KB979683
KB978338
KB978601
KB979309
KB977816
KB980232

Office Updates
KB981715

Onenote Update
KB980729

IE8 Update
KB981332

Publisher Update
KB980470

And bingo can now save from Excel. Not ideal by any means and certainly not a long term plan, but to get back up and running it worked for me.

Best of luck.




97prelude Weber wrote:

Same here
16-Apr-10

We have the same thing happening, and after trying MANY KB articles, etc, we have no solution.

Both machines are XP SP3, Office 2007. Both machines auto-updated at 3pm on 4/14, and yesterday after the overnight reboot, the trouble began.

Microsoft, this one needs some attention quickly! Saving locally and then copying back to the network share is ridiculous!

Previous Posts In This Thread:


Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
BizTalk: Writing and using a custom referenced functoid.
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-and-usin.aspx
 
Reply With Quote
 
M Chadders
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Apr 2010
Had the self same issue. NT4 Fileserver, Excel 2007, XP SP2 Client. Couldn't save from Excel or word for that matter. Roled back the updates from the 14 April:

Security Updates
KB975561
KB979683
KB978338
KB978601
KB979309
KB977816
KB980232

Office Updates
KB981715

Onenote Update
KB980729

IE8 Update
KB981332

Publisher Update
KB980470

And bingo can now save from Excel. Not ideal by any means and certainly not a long term plan, but to get back up and running it worked for me.

Best of luck.



97prelude Weber wrote:

Same here
16-Apr-10

We have the same thing happening, and after trying MANY KB articles, etc, we have no solution.

Both machines are XP SP3, Office 2007. Both machines auto-updated at 3pm on 4/14, and yesterday after the overnight reboot, the trouble began.

Microsoft, this one needs some attention quickly! Saving locally and then copying back to the network share is ridiculous!

Previous Posts In This Thread:


Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
Get Silverlight 4 Installed: Tips and Tricks
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...4-install.aspx
 
Reply With Quote
 
M Chadders
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Apr 2010
Had the self same issue. NT4 Fileserver, Excel 2007, XP SP2 Client. Couldn't save from Excel or word for that matter. Roled back the updates from the 14 April:

Security Updates
KB975561
KB979683
KB978338
KB978601
KB979309
KB977816
KB980232

Office Updates
KB981715

Onenote Update
KB980729

IE8 Update
KB981332

Publisher Update
KB980470

And bingo can now save from Excel. Not ideal by any means and certainly not a long term plan, but to get back up and running it worked for me.

Best of luck.




97prelude Weber wrote:

Same here
16-Apr-10

We have the same thing happening, and after trying MANY KB articles, etc, we have no solution.

Both machines are XP SP3, Office 2007. Both machines auto-updated at 3pm on 4/14, and yesterday after the overnight reboot, the trouble began.

Microsoft, this one needs some attention quickly! Saving locally and then copying back to the network share is ridiculous!

Previous Posts In This Thread:


Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
WPF Report Engine, Part 2
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ne-part-2.aspx
 
Reply With Quote
 
M Chadders
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Apr 2010
Sorry



M Chadders wrote:

You're right. It's the Auto Updates.
18-Apr-10

Had the self same issue. NT4 Fileserver, Excel 2007, XP SP2 Client. Couldn't save from Excel or word for that matter. Roled back the updates from the 14 April:

Security Updates
KB975561
KB979683
KB978338
KB978601
KB979309
KB977816
KB980232

Office Updates
KB981715

Onenote Update
KB980729

IE8 Update
KB981332

Publisher Update
KB980470

And bingo can now save from Excel. Not ideal by any means and certainly not a long term plan, but to get back up and running it worked for me.

Best of luck.

Previous Posts In This Thread:


Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
WPF Reflection Effect
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...on-effect.aspx
 
Reply With Quote
 
Darrin Jarboe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Apr 2010
I am having the exact same problem. Is the only solution right now to unistall these security updates, and turn off Automatic updates? Is there a way to fake the computer to think that the perticular security update causing the problem is installed so that Automatic Updates can remain on?



John Lawler wrote:

"Document not saved" when target is network share
15-Apr-10

Hi, I have done a couple of hours of research and experimentation on thi
problem so far and have gotten mostly no where

I have a client who just installed Office 2007 (on Windows XP SP3) in a
environment where we are running an NT 4 Server as the Domain controller an
file server (yes I know, it is hopelessly outdated and unsupported, bu
please, if that is all the input you have, stop reading now)

It seems that everyone who is had this problem in Office 2007+ is having i
on Vista and that it might be related to Offline Files (we have disable that
and it does no good), etc. I do not think those scenarios apply to us

The network location we are trying to save to is one of the shares on the N
4 server we have always used for most shared files and which has never been
problem (including through Office 2003). I gather that some extra securit
attributes are possibly required now w/ 2007+ that I am guessing may not b
properly set on my NT 4 shares. I have already verified that they are enable
for Full Control, and then even set them up with Special Access and grante
all permissions except Take Ownership

Does anyone have any insight into what may've changed with Office 2007 an
perhaps have a vague memory of how these security settings are directly (o
at all) compatible with NT 4 (as in, pehaps NT 4 does not support th
permission types that are now required, and thus Office 2007 thinks th
permissions are denied)

That's my best guess. I'd greatly appreciate any insight you may have

For the record, we have loose plans for moving off NT 4 server within th
next 1-2 years, but frankly, this has been one of the first hard problem
we have really had with the server software (at least I think that is what i
is), but if I cannot solve this now, my customer may have to revert to hi
previous version of Office until we do that.

Previous Posts In This Thread:


Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
C# And The Little Iterator That Could
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...e-iterato.aspx
 
Reply With Quote
 
Darrin Jarboe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Apr 2010
I am having the exact same problem. Is the only solution right now to unistall these security updates, and turn off Automatic updates? Is there a way to fake the computer to think that the perticular security update causing the problem is installed so that Automatic Updates can remain on?



John Lawler wrote:

"Document not saved" when target is network share
15-Apr-10

Hi, I have done a couple of hours of research and experimentation on thi
problem so far and have gotten mostly no where

I have a client who just installed Office 2007 (on Windows XP SP3) in a
environment where we are running an NT 4 Server as the Domain controller an
file server (yes I know, it is hopelessly outdated and unsupported, bu
please, if that is all the input you have, stop reading now)

It seems that everyone who is had this problem in Office 2007+ is having i
on Vista and that it might be related to Offline Files (we have disable that
and it does no good), etc. I do not think those scenarios apply to us

The network location we are trying to save to is one of the shares on the N
4 server we have always used for most shared files and which has never been
problem (including through Office 2003). I gather that some extra securit
attributes are possibly required now w/ 2007+ that I am guessing may not b
properly set on my NT 4 shares. I have already verified that they are enable
for Full Control, and then even set them up with Special Access and grante
all permissions except Take Ownership

Does anyone have any insight into what may've changed with Office 2007 an
perhaps have a vague memory of how these security settings are directly (o
at all) compatible with NT 4 (as in, pehaps NT 4 does not support th
permission types that are now required, and thus Office 2007 thinks th
permissions are denied)

That's my best guess. I'd greatly appreciate any insight you may have

For the record, we have loose plans for moving off NT 4 server within th
next 1-2 years, but frankly, this has been one of the first hard problem
we have really had with the server software (at least I think that is what i
is), but if I cannot solve this now, my customer may have to revert to hi
previous version of Office until we do that.

Previous Posts In This Thread:


Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
WPF Reflection Effect
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...on-effect.aspx
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ranges:Target in Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gTWNDYXJ0bmV5?= Microsoft Excel Programming 3 15th Apr 2005 01:51 PM
How find if target is object in Worksheet_Change (ByVal Target As.. ?) Gunnar Johansson Microsoft Excel Programming 3 1st Jul 2004 09:25 PM
unable to select Save Target As... and Print Target in IE6 Vedant Lath Windows XP Internet Explorer 1 6th Jun 2004 03:25 PM
target="blank" - target="self"? Tim L. Windows XP Internet Explorer 1 5th Feb 2004 08:28 PM
"Save Target as" and "Print Target" does not work Tania Windows XP Internet Explorer 2 15th Oct 2003 07:42 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:30 AM.