PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

"Do you want to replace the existing Normal?"

 
 
Larry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Apr 2004
One of the strangest messages in Word 97 is a message I've gotten
without warning from time to time, "Do you want to replace the existing
Normal?" That's all the message says. It doesn't say why Normal ought
to be replaced or what it's going to be replaced with, or what will
happen if I don't replace it. I'm simply saving Normal, or closing
Word, and I get this message. And the funny thing is, even though the
message seems to be giving me a choice, it's giving me no choice at all.
If I say no, I'm shown a save as dialog box. If I then save as some
other name, I'm still not able to save the existing Normal, because I
get the same message again. So finally I have no choice but to replace
the existing Normal. Though, once again, what I'm replacing it with,
and how what I'm doing is different from what I do when I simply save
changes in Normal, I haven't the foggiest.

I assume that more recent versions of Word do not have these mysterious
and ominous error messages.

Larry


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Annie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Apr 2004
I'm trying to changing the default format which comes up
in word 2000. I must have saved a letter as the normal
template and now that letter keeps coming up. All I want
is a blank page. Any ideas on how to get rid of the
normal.dot template?


>-----Original Message-----
>One of the strangest messages in Word 97 is a message

I've gotten
>without warning from time to time, "Do you want to

replace the existing
>Normal?" That's all the message says. It doesn't say

why Normal ought
>to be replaced or what it's going to be replaced with,

or what will
>happen if I don't replace it. I'm simply saving Normal,

or closing
>Word, and I get this message. And the funny thing is,

even though the
>message seems to be giving me a choice, it's giving me

no choice at all.
>If I say no, I'm shown a save as dialog box. If I then

save as some
>other name, I'm still not able to save the existing

Normal, because I
>get the same message again. So finally I have no choice

but to replace
>the existing Normal. Though, once again, what I'm

replacing it with,
>and how what I'm doing is different from what I do when

I simply save
>changes in Normal, I haven't the foggiest.
>
>I assume that more recent versions of Word do not have

these mysterious
>and ominous error messages.
>
>Larry
>
>
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Apr 2004
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Annie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:126801c42646$fced1aa0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to changing the default format which comes up
> in word 2000. I must have saved a letter as the normal
> template and now that letter keeps coming up. All I want
> is a blank page. Any ideas on how to get rid of the
> normal.dot template?
>
>
> >-----Original Message-----
> >One of the strangest messages in Word 97 is a message

> I've gotten
> >without warning from time to time, "Do you want to

> replace the existing
> >Normal?" That's all the message says. It doesn't say

> why Normal ought
> >to be replaced or what it's going to be replaced with,

> or what will
> >happen if I don't replace it. I'm simply saving Normal,

> or closing
> >Word, and I get this message. And the funny thing is,

> even though the
> >message seems to be giving me a choice, it's giving me

> no choice at all.
> >If I say no, I'm shown a save as dialog box. If I then

> save as some
> >other name, I'm still not able to save the existing

> Normal, because I
> >get the same message again. So finally I have no choice

> but to replace
> >the existing Normal. Though, once again, what I'm

> replacing it with,
> >and how what I'm doing is different from what I do when

> I simply save
> >changes in Normal, I haven't the foggiest.
> >
> >I assume that more recent versions of Word do not have

> these mysterious
> >and ominous error messages.
> >
> >Larry
> >
> >
> >.
> >


 
Reply With Quote
 
Word Heretic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      20th Apr 2004
G'day "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)>,

It can be caused by a few things, the best bet is to set your options
to Not prompting for saving normal.dot. Then it just quietly does it
in the background.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic
Want a hyperlinked index? S/W R&D? See WordHeretic.com

steve from wordheretic.com (Email replies require payment)


Larry reckoned:

>One of the strangest messages in Word 97 is a message I've gotten
>without warning from time to time, "Do you want to replace the existing
>Normal?" That's all the message says. It doesn't say why Normal ought
>to be replaced or what it's going to be replaced with, or what will
>happen if I don't replace it. I'm simply saving Normal, or closing
>Word, and I get this message. And the funny thing is, even though the
>message seems to be giving me a choice, it's giving me no choice at all.
>If I say no, I'm shown a save as dialog box. If I then save as some
>other name, I'm still not able to save the existing Normal, because I
>get the same message again. So finally I have no choice but to replace
>the existing Normal. Though, once again, what I'm replacing it with,
>and how what I'm doing is different from what I do when I simply save
>changes in Normal, I haven't the foggiest.
>
>I assume that more recent versions of Word do not have these mysterious
>and ominous error messages.
>
>Larry
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      20th Apr 2004
To clarify my first post, when this happened, the setting for "prompt to
save Normal template" was already turned off.

Larry


 
Reply With Quote
 
Beth Melton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Apr 2004
Now Steve, do you also remove the batteries from your smoke detector
because it goes off every time you burn something on the stove? ;-)

I don't recommend anyone turn off the prompt to save Normal.dot. If
you encounter it each time you exit Word then the likely cause is a
virus or add-in. If it is an add-in then it can exhibit virus-like
qualities such as over-population of menu items, file bloat, and
corruption.

I firmly believe one of the main reasons we see so many cases of
Normal.dot corruption is due to add-ins. If the add-in creator didn't
know enough to prevent the prompt to save Normal.dot, then I wouldn't
trust them to know enough to prevent file corruption or trust the
modifications the add-in is making.

Any add-in that modifies the Normal.dot IMHO shouldn't be used.

--
Please post all follow-up questions to the newsgroup. Requests for
assistance by email can not be acknowledged.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
TechTrax eZine: http://mousetrax.com/techtrax/
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/


"Word Heretic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> G'day "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> It can be caused by a few things, the best bet is to set your

options
> to Not prompting for saving normal.dot. Then it just quietly does it
> in the background.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Beth Melton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Apr 2004
Hi Larry,

Do you have the SR-1 and SR-2 patches installed? If you recently
reinstalled Word then you would also need to reinstall the patches.
Even if you didn't reinstall I've found a few occasions in which Word
97 stopped recognizing the patches.

IIRC one of the patches corrected an issue similar to what you
describe. It has something to do with starting two sessions of Word. I
do remember it was odd because I encountered it myself and I didn't
think I was starting more than one Word session.

--
Please post all follow-up questions to the newsgroup. Requests for
assistance by email can not be acknowledged.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
TechTrax eZine: http://mousetrax.com/techtrax/
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/


"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> One of the strangest messages in Word 97 is a message I've gotten
> without warning from time to time, "Do you want to replace the

existing
> Normal?" That's all the message says. It doesn't say why Normal

ought
> to be replaced or what it's going to be replaced with, or what will
> happen if I don't replace it. I'm simply saving Normal, or closing
> Word, and I get this message. And the funny thing is, even though

the
> message seems to be giving me a choice, it's giving me no choice at

all.
> If I say no, I'm shown a save as dialog box. If I then save as some
> other name, I'm still not able to save the existing Normal, because

I
> get the same message again. So finally I have no choice but to

replace
> the existing Normal. Though, once again, what I'm replacing it

with,
> and how what I'm doing is different from what I do when I simply

save
> changes in Normal, I haven't the foggiest.
>
> I assume that more recent versions of Word do not have these

mysterious
> and ominous error messages.
>
> Larry
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Charles Kenyon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Apr 2004
Hi Steve,

With Beth, I disagree, although I'm not sure that "Do you want to replace
the existing Normal?" is the prompt that can be turned off. Here's my rant:

I just checked on Word 97 and the message I get from that prompt is:
"Changes have been made that affect the global template..."

The message "Changes have been made that affect the global template -
normal. Do you wish to save those changes?" is an important warning. It
means that changes have been made, whether you intended to make changes or
not. You can also get it when your template has been altered by a poorly
written Add-In program or by a malicious virus.

The reason for the message being shown repeatedly is almost always a poorly
written Add-In. The Norton AV Office Plug-In seems to be the most frequent
offender recently, but that can change as some other poorly written program
comes on the market.

Other offenders include the MS Works Suite Add-In, EZ-Photo, Scansoft, Adobe
Acrobat, and Microsoft's MetaData remover. These all install Add-Ins that
mess with your normal.dot when they shouldn't do so and don't need to do so.
Some of these are .dot files, others are installed. See <URL:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CheckIfAddinsInstalled.htm> for
instructions on seeing what Add-Ins you have. (Having Add-Ins is not a bad
thing. I run Word with 15 Add-Ins, most of which I wrote myself.)

Note to Beth: When I am broiling in the oven and the smoke detector goes
off, I take out the batteries from the smoke detector. It helps keep me
sane. (I think.) I put them back in, though, when I'm done cooking. I do
keep the prompt to save normal.dot option checked, though. (I may have a
higher tolerance for irritation, though, than Steve does.)
--

Charles Kenyon

Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:
<URL: http://addbalance.com/word/index.htm>

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)
<URL: http://addbalance.com/usersguide/index.htm>

See also the MVP FAQ: <URL: http://www.mvps.org/word/> which is awesome!
--------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Word Heretic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> G'day "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> It can be caused by a few things, the best bet is to set your options
> to Not prompting for saving normal.dot. Then it just quietly does it
> in the background.
>
> Steve Hudson - Word Heretic
> Want a hyperlinked index? S/W R&D? See WordHeretic.com
>
> steve from wordheretic.com (Email replies require payment)
>
>
> Larry reckoned:
>
> >One of the strangest messages in Word 97 is a message I've gotten
> >without warning from time to time, "Do you want to replace the existing
> >Normal?" That's all the message says. It doesn't say why Normal ought
> >to be replaced or what it's going to be replaced with, or what will
> >happen if I don't replace it. I'm simply saving Normal, or closing
> >Word, and I get this message. And the funny thing is, even though the
> >message seems to be giving me a choice, it's giving me no choice at all.
> >If I say no, I'm shown a save as dialog box. If I then save as some
> >other name, I'm still not able to save the existing Normal, because I
> >get the same message again. So finally I have no choice but to replace
> >the existing Normal. Though, once again, what I'm replacing it with,
> >and how what I'm doing is different from what I do when I simply save
> >changes in Normal, I haven't the foggiest.
> >
> >I assume that more recent versions of Word do not have these mysterious
> >and ominous error messages.
> >
> >Larry
> >

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Apr 2004
Hi Beth,

My Word 97 came with SR-1, I later installed SR-2 and I haven't
re-installed Word in ages. However, I gather you're suggesting that I
re-install the SR-2 patch. I guess in order to do that I'd have to
un-install and re-install Word?

And, yes, I do occasionally have two instances of Word briefly opened at
the same time. I generally do this when I need to see what Word is like
in its pristine state, so I run a shortcut which runs "Winword /a".

Also, in response to Charles, this is not the familiar message that says
""Changes have been made that affect the global template..." This
message simply said: "Do you want to replace the existing Normal?"
I've had this message appear just a handful of times in the five years
I've had Word 97.

Larry



 
Reply With Quote
 
Beth Melton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Apr 2004
Okay, you got me there. <g>

When I had a smoke detector I'd ~temporarily~ take the batteries out
too. My thought was more along the lines of, 'taking them out for
good'.

I guess I need to rephrase that line for future use. ;-)

~Beth Melton

"Charles Kenyon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:ejPb%(E-Mail Removed)...

> Note to Beth: When I am broiling in the oven and the smoke detector

goes
> off, I take out the batteries from the smoke detector. It helps keep

me
> sane. (I think.) I put them back in, though, when I'm done cooking.

I do
> keep the prompt to save normal.dot option checked, though. (I may

have a
> higher tolerance for irritation, though, than Steve does.)



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replace methode, Replace Function, Stringbuilder replace, Regex Replace, Split Cor Microsoft VB .NET 4 1st Mar 2004 03:50 PM
the file already exists - do you want to replace the existing file? Paul James Microsoft Excel Programming 4 12th Dec 2003 03:50 AM
Do You want to replace the existing Normal? zxcvar Microsoft Word New Users 1 31st Oct 2003 05:20 AM
Do You want to replace the existing Normal? zxcvar Microsoft Word New Users 0 31st Oct 2003 03:09 AM
"Do you want to replace the existing Normal?" Larry Microsoft Word Document Management 0 3rd Jul 2003 01:02 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:34 AM.