How do you overide screensave setting in GP?

=?Utf-8?B?YWJlbnpha2k=?=

      24th Oct 2007
I need some way to override the group policy screensaver setting for a single
computer. Whenever this computer in left unattended for sometime during
presentations, the screesaver causes it to lock up and the only recourse is
to reboot. Is there anyway to override just the screensaver setting? Thanks!

Ben

Ace Fekay [MVP]

      25th Oct 2007
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
abenzaki <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> I need some way to override the group policy screensaver setting for
> a single computer. Whenever this computer in left unattended for
> sometime during presentations, the screesaver causes it to lock up
> and the only recourse is to reboot. Is there anyway to override just
> the screensaver setting? Thanks!
>
> Ben

Not sure, it depends on how YOU have designed your GPOs.
If in an OU with a GPO affecting the OU, I would move it to another OU that
the policy is not affecting.

If the policy is at the domain leve meaning you set it in the Default Domain
Group Policyl, I would re-think your design strategy and put it in it's own
GPO and only apply it to either users or computers. If at the domain level
you are affecting everything including DCs and servers. You can also create
a WMI filter for that one computer to block the WHOLE GPO, but if the screen
saver setting is set at the domain level, you do not want to do that or you
will negate the whole GPO.

So it depends. For accurate assistance please elaborate on your design.

Thanks,

--
Regards,
Ace

confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT,
MVP Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Try using Outlook Express or any other newsreader, configure a news
account, and point it to news.microsoft.com. Anonymous access. It's
easy and it's free:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates or a bowl of cherries or
peaches... Life is more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today
may burn your butt tomorrow." - Garfield

=?Utf-8?B?YWJlbnpha2k=?=

      25th Oct 2007
Thanks, Ace, for your response. To answer your question, the policy is at the
domain level and applies to all users in the domain. This is how it was set
when I took over. I have also questioned this strategy.

Thanks,
Ben

"Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> abenzaki <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> > I need some way to override the group policy screensaver setting for
> > a single computer. Whenever this computer in left unattended for
> > sometime during presentations, the screesaver causes it to lock up
> > and the only recourse is to reboot. Is there anyway to override just
> > the screensaver setting? Thanks!
> >
> > Ben

> Not sure, it depends on how YOU have designed your GPOs.
> If in an OU with a GPO affecting the OU, I would move it to another OU that
> the policy is not affecting.
>
> If the policy is at the domain leve meaning you set it in the Default Domain
> Group Policyl, I would re-think your design strategy and put it in it's own
> GPO and only apply it to either users or computers. If at the domain level
> you are affecting everything including DCs and servers. You can also create
> a WMI filter for that one computer to block the WHOLE GPO, but if the screen
> saver setting is set at the domain level, you do not want to do that or you
> will negate the whole GPO.
>
> So it depends. For accurate assistance please elaborate on your design.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ace
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> confers no rights.
>
> Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT,
> MVP Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> Microsoft Certified Trainer
>
> Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
>
> Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
> Try using Outlook Express or any other newsreader, configure a news
> account, and point it to news.microsoft.com. Anonymous access. It's
> easy and it's free:
>
> How to Configure OEx for Internet News
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164
>
> "Life isn't like a box of chocolates or a bowl of cherries or
> peaches... Life is more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today
> may burn your butt tomorrow." - Garfield

Ace Fekay [MVP]

      26th Oct 2007
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
abenzaki <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Thanks, Ace, for your response. To answer your question, the policy
> is at the domain level and applies to all users in the domain. This
> is how it was set when I took over. I have also questioned this
> strategy.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

I see. The best bet sounds like redesigning it so you have more control over
it.

Ace