How do you open the Document Recovery Task Pane?

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueQ==?=

      19th Feb 2006
I accidently closed the Document Recovery Task Pane in Microsoft Word, and
now I can't get it to come back up. What do I do now? There is no option that
I can find to reopen that particular task pane, and I found where the .asd
file was located but it wont let me open it. Ive tried any opening methods
they suggested and I still cant open it separately, get word to open it, or
get the document recovery task pane to open again. Please help...

=?Utf-8?B?Q29veg==?=

      20th Feb 2006
Hi Tony,

You can simulate a Word crash which will result in showing the Document
Recovery Task Pane the next time you start Word:

Start Word.
Open any dialog (choose for example File | Open...).
Type Ctrl-Alt-Del.
Choose Task Manager.
Choose (Document1 - )Microsoft Word and kill it. Windows and/or Word may
protest by means of further messages, but be merciless. End it.

Start Word again, and there is your Document Recovery Task Pane. It may be
wise to create a backup of the .asd file first, just in case. Better safe
than sorry, says the cliché.

Success,
Cooz
--
PS: If this is a satisfying answer to your question and you're logged in via
the Microsoft site, please click Yes to "Did this post answer the question?".

"Tony" wrote:

> I accidently closed the Document Recovery Task Pane in Microsoft Word, and
> now I can't get it to come back up. What do I do now? There is no option that
> I can find to reopen that particular task pane, and I found where the .asd
> file was located but it wont let me open it. Ive tried any opening methods
> they suggested and I still cant open it separately, get word to open it, or
> get the document recovery task pane to open again. Please help...

New Member

      15th Apr 2010
Hi

You can't bring up the window automatically. However if you go to:

"word options" on the "Office Button"
and click the
"save" button

You will see the directory where your temp files are stored. If you look at the files with the ".asd" extension, these will be your autorecoved documents.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Andrew

New Member

      26th Jun 2011
Excellent. It worked for me. Thanks!!!

New Member

      11th Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by =?Utf-8?B?Q29veg==?= View Post

"Tony" wrote:

> I accidently closed the Document Recovery Task Pane in Microsoft Word, and
> now I can't get it to come back up. What do I do now? There is no option that
> I can find to reopen that particular task pane, and I found where the .asd
> file was located but it wont let me open it. Ive tried any opening methods
> they suggested and I still cant open it separately, get word to open it, or
> get the document recovery task pane to open again. Please help...
Thanks dear; your sugession really helped

New Member

      23rd Mar 2012
wizzy2010: +1

New Member

      21st Jan 2014
Having discovered an easier way to resolve this I have registered on this site just to post it in the hope it helps others in the future.

Go to the folder that contains the file you over-wrote, right click on it and then select "Restore previous versions". You will then be presented with a window that shows all the previously saved versions of that file and can select any one of them to recover.

This works for all file formats in MS Office and there is no need to force an Office application to crash to do this

Hope this helps .