How do you insert a text form field box in your header or footer?

=?Utf-8?B?bGF1cmVu?=

      4th Apr 2007
I am trying to insert a text form field box (gray box) in the footer, but I
don't know if this can be done. Can it?

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      5th Apr 2007
If you're referring to a text form field in a protected form, this would be
pointless since the header and footer are inaccesible in protected forms.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"lauren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am trying to insert a text form field box (gray box) in the footer, but

> don't know if this can be done. Can it?

CyberTaz

      5th Apr 2007
Although, oddly enough, you can exclude the H/F from being protected. Even
with access allowed, however, the Forms toolbar is [pretty much] dead when
in the H/F... But you can insert a Frame. Curious.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/4/07 7:03 PM, in article (E-Mail Removed),
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If you're referring to a text form field in a protected form, this would be
> pointless since the header and footer are inaccesible in protected forms.

Jay Freedman

      5th Apr 2007
Hi Bob,

I think that's a historical accident. In early versions of Word, the
frame was _the_ way to have floating text, and the Frame command was
on the Insert menu. Somewhere around Word 95 or 97, the text box was
introduced and MS thought it should now be _the_ way to have floating
text. For backward compatibility they couldn't remove frames from the
program, but they banished it to the gulag of the Forms toolbar (even
though it has little to do with forms).

The frame command has to be active in the H/F because up through Word
2003 the Insert > Page Number command uses a frame to position the
page number (the cause of the buglet in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...lyIndented.htm).
Finally Word 2007 no longer uses frames for page numbers, but they're
still useful for some things -- if not (particularly) for forms. :-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:52:52 -0400, CyberTaz
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Although, oddly enough, you can exclude the H/F from being protected. Even
>with access allowed, however, the Forms toolbar is [pretty much] dead when
>in the H/F... But you can insert a Frame. Curious.
>
>Regards |:>)
>Bob Jones
>[MVP] Office:Mac
>

>On 4/4/07 7:03 PM, in article (E-Mail Removed),
>"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> If you're referring to a text form field in a protected form, this would be
>> pointless since the header and footer are inaccesible in protected forms.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      5th Apr 2007
Frames *are* useful for forms if you're trying to place text form fields in
specific positions to print on preprinted forms. And of course frames have
to be used rather than text boxes because, if I'm not mistaken, you can't
put form fields in text boxes.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)