How do you import your email addresses into Outlook 2010

joyoooo

      4th May 2010
i am using the beta version of Outlook 2010 and can't figure out how to get
my email addresses into it.

neo

      4th May 2010
Select the File tab and then Open on the left. This should bring you to
"Import" on the right. Haven't tried it yet, but you might want to be in
the Contact folder to see if the Wizard defaults to whatever folder is being
display before trying the options described.

"joyoooo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i am using the beta version of Outlook 2010 and can't figure out how to get
> my email addresses into it.

Ben M. Schorr, MVP

      4th May 2010
What are you trying to import them from?

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP
Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon

"joyoooo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i am using the beta version of Outlook 2010 and can't figure out how to
> get
> my email addresses into it.

tophawk

      7th May 2010
Hope it is OK to jump in here?
I have popped over fro
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...7-e037c5bf75cd
(tophawk)
If I have a clean install of O2010, can I simply import all my contacts &
mail in to the newly created (by O2010) .pst file?
I have for ten years just pointed any new installation to my long existing
..pst
If I am in the wrong place could you direct me
Thanks

"Ben M. Schorr, MVP" wrote:

> What are you trying to import them from?
>
> --
> -Ben-
> Ben M. Schorr, MVP
> Roland Schorr & Tower
> http://www.rolandschorr.com
> http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm
> Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
> http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon
>
> "joyoooo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > i am using the beta version of Outlook 2010 and can't figure out how to
> > get
> > my email addresses into it.

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

      7th May 2010
"tophawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have popped over from
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...7-e037c5bf75cd
> (tophawk)
> If I have a clean install of O2010, can I simply import all my contacts &
> mail in to the newly created (by O2010) .pst file?
> I have for ten years just pointed any new installation to my long existing
> .pst

As Ben asked, why are you trying to import? Use the Mail applet in COntrol
Panel, open that PST, make it your delivery location instead of the empty
PST, and then remove the empty PST. Start Outlook and it will be just like
whatever your prior version was.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

tophawk

      8th May 2010
@Brian Tillman
The answer to your question is that, like many thousands of us worldwide, I
am trying to eradicate my problems in O 2010 (reference
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...7-e037c5bf75cd)
I really don't want (need) to import as I have simply used an EXISTING .pst
since the mid 1990s - and always pointed to that one on any rebuild.
To save you reading that thread - the solution seems to be: use O 2010 for
my primary POP accounts (including POP Hotmail) and a second (Thunderbird)
client for the balance of imap accounts etc). This has been running smoothly
since O 2010 RTM
Thanks for the response

"Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> "tophawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > I have popped over from
> > http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...7-e037c5bf75cd
> > (tophawk)
> > If I have a clean install of O2010, can I simply import all my contacts &
> > mail in to the newly created (by O2010) .pst file?
> > I have for ten years just pointed any new installation to my long existing
> > .pst

> As Ben asked, why are you trying to import? Use the Mail applet in COntrol
> Panel, open that PST, make it your delivery location instead of the empty
> PST, and then remove the empty PST. Start Outlook and it will be just like
> whatever your prior version was.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
> .

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

      8th May 2010
"tophawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> The answer to your question is that, like many thousands of us worldwide, I
> am trying to eradicate my problems in O 2010 (reference
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...7-e037c5bf75cd)

That's quite a thread. I've got multiple POP, IMAP, and Hotmail accounts
(using Outlook Connector 14) in Outlook 2010 and 2007 and they've worked well.
While I think you should be able to have all your accounts in Outlook, if you
find it's more reliable to use Thunderbird for IMAP, then that's what you
should use. While I think Outlook 2010 is MUCH better at IMAP than earlier
versions, Outlook has historically been a poorer IMAP client than some others.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

tophawk

      10th May 2010
Brian
I picked up on your point re enhanced support now for IMAP and have this
morning (local now 1240h) been running Outlook with my POP accounts alongside
IMAP accounts (gmail.com) and I agree with you; O 2010 does handle them well.
I can see no benefit in running up Connector for the Hotmail accounts as they
are all behaving well under POP. This configuration certainly solves the
problems noted in the thread. I suspect the culprit all along was Connector.
Thanks for your input
Peter