how do you force a new line in a formula in Excel?

JeffRI

      24th Mar 2008
I'm trying to use the CONCATENATE function but I also want to force a
'return' in the function/formula as if entering data into a cell and using
ALT+ENTER to force a new line. Can this be done?

Tom Hutchins

      24th Mar 2008
You can use CHAR(10) in your Concatenate function, like this:
=CONCATENATE("First line",CHAR(10),"Second line")

You also need to format the cell to allow text wrapping, or the linefeed
character will appear as a little square box.

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"JeffRI" wrote:

> I'm trying to use the CONCATENATE function but I also want to force a
> 'return' in the function/formula as if entering data into a cell and using
> ALT+ENTER to force a new line. Can this be done?

JeffRI

      24th Mar 2008
This was awesome!! Thx for the info! That's exactly what I was looking for.

"Tom Hutchins" wrote:

> You can use CHAR(10) in your Concatenate function, like this:
> =CONCATENATE("First line",CHAR(10),"Second line")
>
> You also need to format the cell to allow text wrapping, or the linefeed
> character will appear as a little square box.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Hutch
>
> "JeffRI" wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to use the CONCATENATE function but I also want to force a
> > 'return' in the function/formula as if entering data into a cell and using
> > ALT+ENTER to force a new line. Can this be done?

Tyro

      24th Mar 2008
You can also use ="Line1" & CHAR(10) & "Line2"
CONCATENATE is such a long way of saying &.
You must format the cell to wrap text.

Tyro

"JeffRI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to use the CONCATENATE function but I also want to force a
> 'return' in the function/formula as if entering data into a cell and using
> ALT+ENTER to force a new line. Can this be done?

New Member

      2nd Oct 2012
If you need to do this on Mac, there is a silly way to achieve it. Basically, you need to put an actual newline inside quotes. Like so:
=A1 & "
" & B2

To put a newline in there, press Ctrl-Alt-Enter