How do you combine multiple csv files into one file?

Brian Wenner

      1st Jul 2003
Hello,

I have six comma delimited files with a csv extensions on my desktop. I want
to combine the six files into one file and load them into Excel. Right now I
am loading all six into one session of excel then I copying the contents of
one book and paste into the first book, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste,
etc... I figure there has to be a better way. So my question is:

How do you combine multiple csv files into one file with Excel?

Brian

---

Microsoft

      1st Jul 2003
As I recall, arent the CSV files just text with Comma Seperators? If that is
the case open them in notepad and paste them together!
MArcos

"Brian Wenner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have six comma delimited files with a csv extensions on my desktop. I

want
> to combine the six files into one file and load them into Excel. Right now

> am loading all six into one session of excel then I copying the contents

of
> one book and paste into the first book, copy paste, copy paste, copy

paste,
> etc... I figure there has to be a better way. So my question is:
>
> How do you combine multiple csv files into one file with Excel?
>

> Brian
>

> ---

New Member

      4th Jan 2007
Actually, that won't solve Brian's problem. There is a program that costs 20 bucks that will do it for you but...I don't think so.... All you need to do is open your DOS prompt i.e

Start>Run>type "cmd"

Then make sure all your csv files are in the same folder. I caled my folder help and put it in the C: folder.

Type CD C:help (hit enter)

You should see some verification that you are in this folder.

Type copy *.csv name.csv

Note there is a space between the word copy and the * and a space between.csv and name. Also note that you can change name to anything you want. This will copy all csv files an combine them in a file called name.csv. It copies them in such a manner that it is identical to copying and pasting multiple csvs in excell on the vertical axis 1 to infinity (Not a to vv). It's pretty sweet.

Brian 2

New Member

      4th Jan 2007
I meant to say type cd c:\help...that will do it

New Member

      17th May 2007
Thanks a lot dude, you are the man!

New Member

      22nd May 2007
How about instead, you go to the command window. (Press "Window Key" and "R", then type command and enter.

Type copy c:\*.csv c:\File.csv and press enter

This will combine all of the csv files that are in your root c:\ directory into one file called File.csv.

You can change the file names and paths as necessary.

Paul

New Member

      22nd May 2007
Sorry guys. I see someone already gave that suggestion.

later

New Member

      7th Aug 2009
i have a similiar problem and the command works as long as all the .csv files are in the same folder.
i was wondering if there is a variation of this that tells it to look in subfolders for the .csv file?

ie:
C:\temp\folder1\file1.csv
and
C:\temp\folder2\file2.csv
and
C:\temp\folder3\file3.csv

is there someway to combine it all into 1 csv file?
(copy and pasting the .csv files into one folder can be hard when you have a lot of folders,

thanks in advance!

New Member

      3rd Dec 2009
There is a neat program that will handle the merge of multiple csv files to one master file. Bulk File Merger will do the trick. We just banged through 240 files in a matter of seconds. The program also merges xls, doc, pdf and txt files...

New Member

      20th Dec 2009
Hi

I tried to use the command mentioned by drwecki vbmenu_register("postmenu_9254273", true); to combile multiple CSV files to one csv.
i facing following issue.

1. Header are repeating while merging into one file.

Please help to resolve the same.

Thanks and regards
Suresh