How do I use a logical IF statement with TEXT in EXCEL

=?Utf-8?B?U2NobmlkUm9DSw==?=

      1st Jun 2006
I am working in Excel. I am trying to place a numerical value in a cell if
another cell has the text HPU.

For example: Cell D4 has the text string "75hp Diesel HPU", I want $40.00
to be placed in Cell B2. This is based on the Cell D4 having the text "HPU".

Do I use compare, IF, IS or what. Excel Help did not help me too much. Who
knows maybe this can not be done.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyY2Vsbw==?=

      1st Jun 2006
on B2

=if(isnum(search("hpu",d4)),40,0)

hope it helps
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"SchnidRoCK" escreveu:

> I am working in Excel. I am trying to place a numerical value in a cell if
> another cell has the text HPU.
>
> For example: Cell D4 has the text string "75hp Diesel HPU", I want $40.00
> to be placed in Cell B2. This is based on the Cell D4 having the text "HPU".
>
> Do I use compare, IF, IS or what. Excel Help did not help me too much. Who
> knows maybe this can not be done.

=?Utf-8?B?U2NobmlkUm9DSw==?=

      1st Jun 2006
Thank you Marcelo - but what appears in B2 is #NAME?. So I do not think it
worked. I copied and pasted the function from your response, so I know that
I got the function right.

"Marcelo" wrote:

> on B2
>
> =if(isnum(search("hpu",d4)),40,0)
>
> hope it helps
> regards from Brazil
> Marcelo
>
> "SchnidRoCK" escreveu:
>
> > I am working in Excel. I am trying to place a numerical value in a cell if
> > another cell has the text HPU.
> >
> > For example: Cell D4 has the text string "75hp Diesel HPU", I want $40.00
> > to be placed in Cell B2. This is based on the Cell D4 having the text "HPU".
> >
> > Do I use compare, IF, IS or what. Excel Help did not help me too much. Who
> > knows maybe this can not be done.

Bernie Deitrick

      1st Jun 2006
SchnidRoCK,

There is no worksheet function "isnum"

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("hpu",D4)),40,0)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"SchnidRoCK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you Marcelo - but what appears in B2 is #NAME?. So I do not think it
> worked. I copied and pasted the function from your response, so I know that
> I got the function right.
>
> "Marcelo" wrote:
>
>> on B2
>>
>> =if(isnum(search("hpu",d4)),40,0)
>>
>> hope it helps
>> regards from Brazil
>> Marcelo
>>
>> "SchnidRoCK" escreveu:
>>
>> > I am working in Excel. I am trying to place a numerical value in a cell if
>> > another cell has the text HPU.
>> >
>> > For example: Cell D4 has the text string "75hp Diesel HPU", I want $40.00
>> > to be placed in Cell B2. This is based on the Cell D4 having the text "HPU".
>> >
>> > Do I use compare, IF, IS or what. Excel Help did not help me too much. Who
>> > knows maybe this can not be done.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyY2Vsbw==?=

      1st Jun 2006
sorry the mistake, ;-) my excel is in brazilian Portuguese...

regards

"Bernie Deitrick" escreveu:

> SchnidRoCK,
>
> There is no worksheet function "isnum"
>
> =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("hpu",D4)),40,0)
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>

> "SchnidRoCK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thank you Marcelo - but what appears in B2 is #NAME?. So I do not think it
> > worked. I copied and pasted the function from your response, so I know that
> > I got the function right.
> >
> > "Marcelo" wrote:
> >
> >> on B2
> >>
> >> =if(isnum(search("hpu",d4)),40,0)
> >>
> >> hope it helps
> >> regards from Brazil
> >> Marcelo

=?Utf-8?B?U2NobmlkUm9DSw==?=

      2nd Jun 2006
That fixed my problem thank you so much......

"Marcelo" wrote:

> sorry the mistake, ;-) my excel is in brazilian Portuguese...
>
> regards
>
> "Bernie Deitrick" escreveu:
>
> > SchnidRoCK,
> >
> > There is no worksheet function "isnum"
> >
> > =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("hpu",D4)),40,0)
> >
> > HTH,
> > Bernie
> > MS Excel MVP
> >

> > "SchnidRoCK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Thank you Marcelo - but what appears in B2 is #NAME?. So I do not think it
> > > worked. I copied and pasted the function from your response, so I know that
> > > I got the function right.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyY2Vsbw==?=

      2nd Jun 2006
you are welcome, thanks for the feedback