how do i type isotopes in Word 2007?

H Newsholme

      16th Nov 2008
Please could someone tell me how to type isotopes in Word 2007
many thanks

JoAnn Paules

      16th Nov 2008
Use superscrpt numbers or visit: http://www.albuquerquebaseball.com/

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"H Newsholme" <H (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please could someone tell me how to type isotopes in Word 2007
> many thanks

Jay Freedman

      16th Nov 2008
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 09:46:04 -0800, H Newsholme <H
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Please could someone tell me how to type isotopes in Word 2007
>many thanks

There are several ways.

Probably the easiest is to use the new equation editor. Press Alt+= to open an
editor box -- this can be in a new paragraph or inside regular text -- and also
to display the Equation Tools ribbon. In the Structures group on the ribbon,
click Script and choose the picture that has boxes for superscript and subscript
to the left of the main box. Type the atomic mass in the superscript
placeholder, the atomic number in the subscript, and the element symbol in the
main box. Because the editor assumes the main box is a math variable, you have
to select it and press Ctrl+I to turn off the italics.

The one drawback of the new editor is that it can only use one font, Cambria
Math. That may change in the future.

Another way is to use the EQ field with the \a switch, which is mean for making
arrays. Press Ctrl+F9 to insert field braces. Inside the braces, type

eq \a \ar (A,N)

but replace A with the atomic mass and N with the atomic number. Format the
whole thing in a smaller font size -- for example, 8 pt to go with 12 pt regular
text. Press F9 to update the field. Then type the element symbol to the right of
the numbers.

A third way, similar to the first, is to use the same Microsoft Equation 3.0
that was available in previous versions. Click Insert > Object > Create New >
Microsoft Equation 3.0. (If that choice isn't in the list, you'll have to go
through the Office installer, choose "Add or Remove Features", and choose
Equation Editor under Office Tools.) On the editor's toolbar, click the
superscript/subscript group and choose the layout with superscript and subscript
to the left of the main box. To remove the italics on the element symbol, click
the Style menu and choose Text.

After using any of these methods, it would be a good idea to select the whole
thing and make an AutoCorrect entry of it so you can quickly use it again.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

H Newsholme

      16th Nov 2008
many thanks for your help
H Newsholme

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

> Use superscrpt numbers or visit: http://www.albuquerquebaseball.com/
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>

> "H Newsholme" <H (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Please could someone tell me how to type isotopes in Word 2007
> > many thanks

H Newsholme

      16th Nov 2008
Many thanks for your help. I will try the methods explained.
best wishes
Heather Newsholme

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 09:46:04 -0800, H Newsholme <H
> (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Please could someone tell me how to type isotopes in Word 2007
> >many thanks

> There are several ways.
>
> Probably the easiest is to use the new equation editor. Press Alt+= to open an
> editor box -- this can be in a new paragraph or inside regular text -- and also
> to display the Equation Tools ribbon. In the Structures group on the ribbon,
> click Script and choose the picture that has boxes for superscript and subscript
> to the left of the main box. Type the atomic mass in the superscript
> placeholder, the atomic number in the subscript, and the element symbol in the
> main box. Because the editor assumes the main box is a math variable, you have
> to select it and press Ctrl+I to turn off the italics.
>
> The one drawback of the new editor is that it can only use one font, Cambria
> Math. That may change in the future.
>
> Another way is to use the EQ field with the \a switch, which is mean for making
> arrays. Press Ctrl+F9 to insert field braces. Inside the braces, type
>
> eq \a \ar (A,N)
>
> but replace A with the atomic mass and N with the atomic number. Format the
> whole thing in a smaller font size -- for example, 8 pt to go with 12 pt regular
> text. Press F9 to update the field. Then type the element symbol to the right of
> the numbers.
>
> A third way, similar to the first, is to use the same Microsoft Equation 3.0
> that was available in previous versions. Click Insert > Object > Create New >
> Microsoft Equation 3.0. (If that choice isn't in the list, you'll have to go
> through the Office installer, choose "Add or Remove Features", and choose
> Equation Editor under Office Tools.) On the editor's toolbar, click the
> superscript/subscript group and choose the layout with superscript and subscript
> to the left of the main box. To remove the italics on the element symbol, click
> the Style menu and choose Text.
>
> After using any of these methods, it would be a good idea to select the whole
> thing and make an AutoCorrect entry of it so you can quickly use it again.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit.

New Member

      7th Apr 2012
Left subscript, superscript, isotopes, chemistry, word 2007
This question was hard to me for a while. But as always for hard questions easy anwsers.
So I use equation editor for this (pressing LeftALT and = together), then in formula bar write "(^233_98)U" without quotes then press space and watch