How do I take ownership of a file when there is no Security Tab?

Michael W. Ryder

      30th Jun 2009
I am trying to recover data on a laptop drive where the laptop died. I
can read the disk but cannot get into the folders where the information
is that I need. I followed the procedures on Microsoft's site for
taking ownership of a directory but they don't work on some directories.
After I right click on the directory and select Sharing and Security
there is no Security tab. On other directories that tab is there.
What do I need to do to get access to the "blocked" directories?

Touch Base

      13th Jul 2009

"Michael W. Ryder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:V0v2m.410774$(E-Mail Removed)...
I am trying to recover data on a laptop drive where the laptop died. I
can read the disk but cannot get into the folders where the information
is that I need. I followed the procedures on Microsoft's site for
taking ownership of a directory but they don't work on some directories.
After I right click on the directory and select Sharing and Security
there is no Security tab. On other directories that tab is there.
What do I need to do to get access to the "blocked" directories?

Does this help you?

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/0...-professional/
So to see and unhide the Security tab, just use the following steps:

1.. Launch Windows Explorer or My Computer.
2.. Click on the Tools at the menu bar, then click on Folder Options.
3.. Click on View tab.
4.. In the Advanced Settings section at the bottom of the list, uncheck
and unselect (clear the tick) on the "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)"
check box.
5.. Click OK.
Security tab is available only to Administrator or users with administrative
rights. So make sure you login as one. And security can only be set in an
NTFS partition. If you're still having problem to reveal or display the
Security tab on files or folder properties, check out the following registry
hack and set the value to 0 or simply delete the key:

Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key: Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Name: Nosecuritytab
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1

If you're using a Windows XP Professional system that is installed in a
Workgroup, the Security tab is also hidden by default because in Windows XP
Home Edition

and Windows XP Professional, guests are forced to log on to a workgroup.
Follow the instruction and information on Microsoft Knowledge Base where you
need to set the value for ForceGuest registry key.

--
Regards,
Touch Base

"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy
to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know
how to use my telephone." (Bjarne Stroustrup, computer scientist and creator
of the C++ programming language.)

TaurArian

      14th Jul 2009
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

NOTE: You must be logged on to the computer using an account that has
administrative privileges. If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, in
order to have access to the Security tab, you must first start in Safe Mode
and log on with an account that has Administrative rights.

Touch Base wrote:
:: "Michael W. Ryder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
:: news:V0v2m.410774$(E-Mail Removed)...
:: I am trying to recover data on a laptop drive where the laptop died.
:: I
:: can read the disk but cannot get into the folders where the
:: information
:: is that I need. I followed the procedures on Microsoft's site for
:: taking ownership of a directory but they don't work on some
:: directories. After I right click on the directory and select
:: Sharing and Security
:: there is no Security tab. On other directories that tab is there.
:: What do I need to do to get access to the "blocked" directories?
::
::
:: Does this help you?
::
[...]