How do I synchronise mail folders from BT Yahoo mail -> Outlook

confusedbymail@discussions.microsoft.com

      15th Aug 2008
I have been accessing my email by logging in to BT Yahoo mail on the BT
server, and now wish to use Outlook 2007. I have installed the software and
synchronised with the BT Yahoo mail, but only the inbox come across to
Outlook.
Can anyone tell me how to get my other mails folders (of which there are
about 20) over into my Outlook please?

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      15th Aug 2008
POP3 only supports the Inbox - you'll need to move everything to the inbox.
If you have IMAP access, you'll have access to all folders.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been accessing my email by logging in to BT Yahoo mail on the BT
> server, and now wish to use Outlook 2007. I have installed the software
> and
> synchronised with the BT Yahoo mail, but only the inbox come across to
> Outlook.
> Can anyone tell me how to get my other mails folders (of which there are
> about 20) over into my Outlook please?

N. Miller

      16th Aug 2008
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:08:16 -0700,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have been accessing my email by logging in to BT Yahoo mail on the BT
> server, and now wish to use Outlook 2007. I have installed the software and
> synchronised with the BT Yahoo mail, but only the inbox come across to
> Outlook.
> Can anyone tell me how to get my other mails folders (of which there are
> about 20) over into my Outlook please?

Yahoo! Mail servers only offer POP3 access. There is no synchronization of
Yahoo! Mail folders. You may be able to do it with something like YPOPS!:

http://ypopsemail.com/

I've never tried it, myself. I just download the Inbox contents of my "at&t
Yahoo! HSI" mailbox (using 'pop.att.yahoo.com:995', w/SSL), and filter from
there. I am reasonably certain that BT Yahoo! is little different from AT&T
Yahoo! in that regard.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      16th Aug 2008
Ypops is POP3 access - no other folders can be synced with it. I don't know
of any similar IMAP gateway that can bring down all the folders.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"N. Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsccvi28i15zq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:08:16 -0700,
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I have been accessing my email by logging in to BT Yahoo mail on the BT
>> server, and now wish to use Outlook 2007. I have installed the software
>> and
>> synchronised with the BT Yahoo mail, but only the inbox come across to
>> Outlook.
>> Can anyone tell me how to get my other mails folders (of which there are
>> about 20) over into my Outlook please?

> Yahoo! Mail servers only offer POP3 access. There is no synchronization of
> Yahoo! Mail folders. You may be able to do it with something like YPOPS!:
>
> http://ypopsemail.com/
>
> I've never tried it, myself. I just download the Inbox contents of my
> "at&t
> Yahoo! HSI" mailbox (using 'pop.att.yahoo.com:995', w/SSL), and filter
> from
> there. I am reasonably certain that BT Yahoo! is little different from
> AT&T
> Yahoo! in that regard.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Oh Lord, why have you come
> ~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

N. Miller

      17th Aug 2008
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:38:24 -0400, Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:

> Ypops is POP3 access - no other folders can be synced with it. I don't know
> of any similar IMAP gateway that can bring down all the folders.

YPOPS! uses HTTP to connect with the Yahoo! Mail server, as I recall. Been a
while since I worked with it. I seem to recall that it can be configured to
pull the contents of all of the folders; but it would consolidate all the
email into the POP3 client Inbox.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      17th Aug 2008
It consolidates into the Inbox because it's a proxy server and creates a
POP3 connection into Outlook.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

news:1q6445h70q98y$(E-Mail Removed)...

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:46:07 -0400, Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:

> It consolidates into the Inbox because it's a proxy server and creates a
> POP3 connection into Outlook.

Exactly. The YPOPS! Internet facing interface is HTTP, and capable of
reading all of the Yahoo! Mail folders, but the local interface is POP3, so
only the client Inbox is delivered to.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

fernpa

      13th Nov 2008
Don't know if you've managed to sort your problem but I wanted to do the same
and have a partial workround.

In BTYahoo mail (switch to Classic version if you're not already in it) go
to 'Options' then 'Archive Messages'. Archive to your PC. All folders are
copied into a zip file. Unzip the archive to a folder.

In Windows Mail (don't know if this works with Outlook Express) create new
folders to match those in your archived folders. (I made a BTYahoo directory
and the new folders as subdirectories (including Inbox and Sent folders)).

Drag and drop the .eml files from the folders in the archive into the
corresponding folders in Windows Mail.

In Windows Mail go to 'File' then 'Export...Messages'.

(I think you may need Outlook open before proceeding much further.)

Select 'Microsoft Exchange'

Then choose to 'Select Folders' and select all the folders you wish to send
to Outlook.

Click OK and 'fingers crossed' all the folders should appear in Outlook. It
worked for me anyway.

I know that only the original Outlook inbox will sync with the server but at
least you have a copy of all your folders on your PC.

Hope this helps.

Phil.