How do I subtract one column from another?

=?Utf-8?B?amV3ZWxz?=

      1st Oct 2007
I am trying to subtract columns in excel to get a third column with totals
automatically without having to subtract each row individually.

please help!!!

George Gee

      1st Oct 2007
Assuming data in columns A & B.
In cell C1 type: =A1-B1

With cell C1 selected double-click on the fill handle, lower right of cell.

George Gee

"jewels" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to subtract columns in excel to get a third column with totals
> automatically without having to subtract each row individually.
>
> please help!!!

Gord Dibben

      1st Oct 2007
Numbers in column A

Numbers in column B

In C1 enter =A1-B1

Double-click on the fill handle of C1 to copy down.

OR maybe you need..........

In C1 enter =SUM(A:A)-SUM(B:B) which will not need copying down.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 12:58:00 -0700, jewels <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I am trying to subtract columns in excel to get a third column with totals
>automatically without having to subtract each row individually.
>
>please help!!!

=?Utf-8?B?ZHBpemFycm90?=

      1st Oct 2007
if the first column is A and the Second B it will be in coulumn C this
get the formula active by typing =A1-B1 in Cell C1 enter select C1 and grab
the right
low courner of the cell C1, you should get a solid black cross, left click
and hold and drag down, this causes a relative copy of the formula. for mor
info and examples go to help files type relative copying.
--
Their is always a solution to any problem.

"jewels" wrote:

> I am trying to subtract columns in excel to get a third column with totals
> automatically without having to subtract each row individually.
>
> please help!!!

Rodrigo Ferreira

      1st Oct 2007
jewels wrote:

> I am trying to subtract columns in excel to get a third column with
> totals automatically without having to subtract each row
> individually.
>
> please help!!!

Try this:
=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A200)-(B1:B200))

The result is (A1-B1)+(A2-B2)+(A3-B3)+.....+(A200-B200)

--
Rodrigo Ferreira
Regards from Brazil