How do I shut off 'reveal codes' in Word?

=?Utf-8?B?ZmdldHVsaW8=?=

      31st Jan 2006
I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I don't know
how to shut it off. Can anyone help me

garfield-n-odie

      31st Jan 2006
If you see field codes such as {EMBED}, {HYPERLINK}, etc., then
press Alt+F9 to turn off display of field codes.

If you see non-printing characters such as paragraph marks, dots
between words, etc., then see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm .

fgetulio wrote:

> I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I don't know
> how to shut it off. Can anyone help me

=?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2w=?=

      31st Jan 2006
If you're referring to non-printing characters, click on the paragraph symbol
on your toolbar and it will turn them off or go to Tools | Options | View |
Formatting marks and deselect them.

"fgetulio" wrote:

> I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I don't know
> how to shut it off. Can anyone help me

gordo

      1st Feb 2006

"fgetulio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I don't
>know
> how to shut it off. Can anyone help me

There is no such thing as "Reveal Codes" in Word. There is a Task Pane
option to reveal formatting. Or perhaps, as stated in another reply, that
you mean Show/Hide, represented by the Pilcrow on the Standard Tool Bar.
This only displays non-printing characters used for some formatting tasks.

Gordo

Aaron

      21st May 2008
"Reveal Codes" is in WordPerfect, and is something Word should have. With
it, it is easy to control formatting and saves a huge amount of time and
effort.
Aaron

"gordo" wrote:

> "fgetulio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I don't
> >know
> > how to shut it off. Can anyone help me

> There is no such thing as "Reveal Codes" in Word. There is a Task Pane
> option to reveal formatting. Or perhaps, as stated in another reply, that
> you mean Show/Hide, represented by the Pilcrow on the Standard Tool Bar.
> This only displays non-printing characters used for some formatting tasks.
>
> Gordo

Graham Mayor

      22nd May 2008
Given that Word does not use 'codes' to format the document, but is style
based, revealing non-existent 'codes' might be difficult to achieve!

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Aaron wrote:
> "Reveal Codes" is in WordPerfect, and is something Word should have.
> With it, it is easy to control formatting and saves a huge amount of
> time and effort.
> Aaron
>

> "gordo" wrote:
>

>> "fgetulio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I
>>> don't know
>>> how to shut it off. Can anyone help me

>> There is no such thing as "Reveal Codes" in Word. There is a Task
>> Pane option to reveal formatting. Or perhaps, as stated in another
>> reply, that you mean Show/Hide, represented by the Pilcrow on the
>> Standard Tool Bar. This only displays non-printing characters used
>> for some formatting tasks.
>>
>> Gordo

radiodave

      29th Aug 2008
To turn off the display of field codes such as {xe "Index entry"},
{HYPERLINK}, etc.,

* In Word 2007, select the Microsoft Office Button > Word Options > Display
> Hidden Text and/or Show All Formatting Marks.

* In earlier versions of Word, select Tools > Options > View > Hidden Text
and/or All.

Note both have other check boxes for paragraph marks etc. as mentioned below.

Alt-F9 only toggles between text and field codes for field codes that are
normally dispalyed as text, like page numbers, linked graphics, and table of
contents. Alt-F9 doesn't display or hide hidden field codes like index
entries that don't have any text to display. It would be nice if there was a
keyboard shortcut to turn toggle those hidden entries.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      29th Aug 2008
Only XE and TC fields are formatted as Hidden. HYPERLINK is an ordinary
field code.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"radiodave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> To turn off the display of field codes such as {xe "Index entry"},
> {HYPERLINK}, etc.,
>
> * In Word 2007, select the Microsoft Office Button > Word Options >
> Display
>> Hidden Text and/or Show All Formatting Marks.

> * In earlier versions of Word, select Tools > Options > View > Hidden Text
> and/or All.
>
> Note both have other check boxes for paragraph marks etc. as mentioned
> below.
>
> Alt-F9 only toggles between text and field codes for field codes that are
> normally dispalyed as text, like page numbers, linked graphics, and table
> of
> contents. Alt-F9 doesn't display or hide hidden field codes like index
> entries that don't have any text to display. It would be nice if there was
> keyboard shortcut to turn toggle those hidden entries.

Graham Mayor

      30th Aug 2008
You can toggle hidden text with a macro attached to a keyboard shortcut

Sub ShowHidden()
With ActiveWindow.View
.ShowHiddenText = Not .ShowHiddenText
.ShowAll = False
End With
End Sub

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

radiodave wrote:
> To turn off the display of field codes such as {xe "Index entry"},
> {HYPERLINK}, etc.,
>
> * In Word 2007, select the Microsoft Office Button > Word Options >
> Display
>> Hidden Text and/or Show All Formatting Marks.

> * In earlier versions of Word, select Tools > Options > View > Hidden
> Text and/or All.
>
> Note both have other check boxes for paragraph marks etc. as
> mentioned below.
>
> Alt-F9 only toggles between text and field codes for field codes that
> are normally dispalyed as text, like page numbers, linked graphics,
> and table of contents. Alt-F9 doesn't display or hide hidden field
> codes like index entries that don't have any text to display. It
> would be nice if there was a keyboard shortcut to turn toggle those
> hidden entries.

JungleJaneBelize

      10th Apr 2009
Although the question is old, I will still answer it because it might help
someone else who is looking for it. There IS an option in Word 2007 to show
or hide field codes, which I think is what this asker is looking for. It can
be fixed by clicking on the Windows logo on the top left, then go to Word
options, the Advanced, then under "Show document content" remove the
checkmark from "Show field codes instead of their values".
Good luck!