How do I reinstall Windows Defender?

James

      17th May 2008
Engel,
You had mentioned:
"You might try this. Go to the main Windows Update window and click on
> "Installed Updates" (on the left-hand side of the window, at the bottom), and
> then remove "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB931099)" (only).

The problem I am having is that when I try to remove "Update for Microsoft
Windows (KB931099)", it will not allow me to delete. Any suggestions as to
how to delete this?

Thanks, James

"Engel" wrote:

> Hi Aquayogi,
>
> 0x800700C1 -2147024703 ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT is not a valid Win32 application
>
> That error usually indicates the file is corrupt.
> - -- --
>
> I notice you been try diferent solutions,
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US
>
> You might try this. Go to the main Windows Update window and click on
> "Installed Updates" (on the left-hand side of the window, at the bottom), and
> then remove "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB931099)" (only).
>
> Reboot. Reboot again. Go back to Windows Update, and re-install the same
> update, by clicking on the Check for Updates button.
>
> This should essentially re-install Windows Defender on Vista.
>
> --
> Also, you can get direct help from Microsoft for issues with virus
> infections or issues related to security patches.
>
> I'd recommend calling 1-866-pcsafety if you are in the U.S. or Canada.
>
> Elsewhere, call your local Microsoft subsidiary, or the number for paid
> support in your locale--and ask for the free help with virus or
> security-patch related issues.
>
> This help extends to spyware removal as well.
>
> If you /clearly/ state that a specific update or virus has caused problems
> and don't ask any other questions, you /should/ receive No Charge support for
> the issue.
>
> Good luck
> -
>

> wrote:
>
> > Recently, while downloading a definition update, something happened which
> > made Windows Defender corrupt. The update failed, and now Defender won't run,
> > giving me a failed to initialize error. How do I reinstall Defender into
> > Vista? I tried to download it again but it said I have Vista and it's already
> > on my system. I run Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

Bill Sanderson

      19th May 2008
James - I am able to remove and reinstall that update on my system without
obvious issues.

What problem are you trying to resolve by uninstalling this update?

Is the version of Vista you are working with an upgrade from Windows XP?

> Engel,
> You had mentioned:
> "You might try this. Go to the main Windows Update window and click on
>> "Installed Updates" (on the left-hand side of the window, at the bottom),
>> and
>> then remove "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB931099)" (only).

> The problem I am having is that when I try to remove "Update for Microsoft
> Windows (KB931099)", it will not allow me to delete. Any suggestions as
> how to delete this?
>
> Thanks, James
>

> "Engel" wrote:
>
>> Hi Aquayogi,
>>
>> 0x800700C1 -2147024703 ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT is not a valid Win32
>> application
>>
>> That error usually indicates the file is corrupt.
>> - -- --
>>
>> I notice you been try diferent solutions,
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US
>>
>> You might try this. Go to the main Windows Update window and click on
>> "Installed Updates" (on the left-hand side of the window, at the bottom),
>> and
>> then remove "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB931099)" (only).
>>
>> Reboot. Reboot again. Go back to Windows Update, and re-install the same
>> update, by clicking on the Check for Updates button.
>>
>> This should essentially re-install Windows Defender on Vista.
>>
>> --
>> Also, you can get direct help from Microsoft for issues with virus
>> infections or issues related to security patches.
>>
>> I'd recommend calling 1-866-pcsafety if you are in the U.S. or Canada.
>>
>> Elsewhere, call your local Microsoft subsidiary, or the number for paid
>> support in your locale--and ask for the free help with virus or
>> security-patch related issues.
>>
>> This help extends to spyware removal as well.
>>
>> If you /clearly/ state that a specific update or virus has caused
>> problems
>> and don't ask any other questions, you /should/ receive No Charge support
>> for
>> the issue.
>>
>> Good luck
>> -
>>

>> wrote:
>>
>> > Recently, while downloading a definition update, something happened
>> > which
>> > made Windows Defender corrupt. The update failed, and now Defender
>> > won't run,
>> > giving me a failed to initialize error. How do I reinstall Defender
>> > into
>> > Vista? I tried to download it again but it said I have Vista and it's
>> > already
>> > on my system. I run Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

nitin chakote

      11th Jun 2008

"Aquayogi" wrote:

> Recently, while downloading a definition update, something happened which
> made Windows Defender corrupt. The update failed, and now Defender won't run,
> giving me a failed to initialize error. How do I reinstall Defender into
> Vista? I tried to download it again but it said I have Vista and it's already
> on my system. I run Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

nitin chakote

      11th Jun 2008
right from the installation on dell ispiron 530 ,windows defender is not
working propely.can i reinstall windows defender?

"Aquayogi" wrote:

> Recently, while downloading a definition update, something happened which
> made Windows Defender corrupt. The update failed, and now Defender won't run,
> giving me a failed to initialize error. How do I reinstall Defender into
> Vista? I tried to download it again but it said I have Vista and it's already
> on my system. I run Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

Bill Sanderson

      21st Jun 2008
What version of windows? If this is Windows Vista, the answer is no.

However, define "not working properly?"

If you have installed Windows Live OneCare, or Microsoft Forefront Client
Security, these applications include the functionality of Windows Defender
and will disable the Windows Defender User Interface.

"nitin chakote" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> right from the installation on dell ispiron 530 ,windows defender is not
> working propely.can i reinstall windows defender?
>
> "Aquayogi" wrote:
>
>> Recently, while downloading a definition update, something happened which
>> made Windows Defender corrupt. The update failed, and now Defender won't
>> run,
>> giving me a failed to initialize error. How do I reinstall Defender into
>> Vista? I tried to download it again but it said I have Vista and it's
>> already
>> on my system. I run Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

Cor

      30th Sep 2008
Hi,

I uninstalled update KB931099 but when I try to reintsall it it says "update
does not apply to your system". So, still no Windows Defender, not even the
folder in Program Files and One Care keeps giving me an unprotected warning.

Any solution short of reinstalling Vista again?

Thks

Regards

Cor

Bill Sanderson

      1st Oct 2008
I would do a repair install of Vista.

I have to say, though, that I'm not dead certain how to do this, unless
perchance you have not yet installed Service Pack 1.

The usual route is to start Windows, insert the Vista DVD, and tell it to
upgrade.

However, my experience with a system I have with a beta SP1 on it is that I
got "sorry, no can do--installed OS is newer than the DVD--can't upgrade!"
(or words to that effect.)

In which case you'd need to remove SP1, then run the upgrade, then go back
to WU and put back SP1 and any ancillary updates that are missing.

OneCare comes with live support--have you tried running the errors that it
gives past that support?

"Cor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I uninstalled update KB931099 but when I try to reintsall it it says
> "update
> does not apply to your system". So, still no Windows Defender, not even
> the
> folder in Program Files and One Care keeps giving me an unprotected
> warning.
>
> Any solution short of reinstalling Vista again?
>
> Thks
>
> Regards
>
> Cor

jimmyo

      11th Jan 2009

"Aquayogi" wrote:

> Recently, while downloading a definition update, something happened which
> made Windows Defender corrupt. The update failed, and now Defender won't run,
> giving me a failed to initialize error. How do I reinstall Defender into
> Vista? I tried to download it again but it said I have Vista and it's already
> on my system. I run Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

odat

      18th Feb 2010

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello Aquayogi,
>
> Try this first
>
> 32-bit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?Link...14&clcid=0x409
>

> http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal
>

> Let us know how it works ºut
> - -- ---
>
> FATHER
> The worst misfortune that can happen to an ordinary man is to have an
> extraordinary father.
>

> Ǝиçεl
>

> "Aquayogi" wrote:
>
> > Recently, while downloading a definition update, something happened which
> > made Windows Defender corrupt. The update failed, and now Defender won't run,
> > giving me a failed to initialize error. How do I reinstall Defender into
> > Vista? I tried to download it again but it said I have Vista and it's already
> > on my system. I run Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

Can you give me a link for the 64 bit vista os?
Thanks
Karen

New Member

      27th Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquayogi View Post
Recently, while downloading a definition update, something happened which
made Windows Defender corrupt. The update failed, and now Defender won't run,
giving me a failed to initialize error. How do I reinstall Defender into
Vista? I tried to download it again but it said I have Vista and it's already
on my system. I run Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.
Hi, You cannot find a Installation package for Windows Defender. You can revoke it easily.