PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

how do I recover old outlook email files after OS reinstall?

 
 
Grumblypeg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10th Oct 2008
My computer crashed for no known reason. Blue screen of death. After lots of
trouble shooting, took it into a computer shop and they tried everything and
in the end the only solution was to do the disk recovery which wipes the
harddrive, and reinstall Vista and all other Office software.

But I need my old email files. I did back all data files and copy them back
onto the drive, but do not know where to look for old email messages - there
are thousands of important ones. Can you help?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Doug D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10th Oct 2008
In Windows (2000, XP and Vista) there are hidden folders that hold the
Outlook data. In Vista the folder would be c:\Users\(User
name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook . That's where your Outlook.pst file
would have been stored. Chances are that you did not back up the entire
folder from the C:\ drive but just the "visible" folders that are represented
in the (User Name) folder on the desktop, in which case you have lost your
emails.

If you in fact backed up the entire c:\Users\(User name) folder from the
hard drive, then your mail is there, just hidden.

"Grumblypeg" wrote:

> My computer crashed for no known reason. Blue screen of death. After lots of
> trouble shooting, took it into a computer shop and they tried everything and
> in the end the only solution was to do the disk recovery which wipes the
> harddrive, and reinstall Vista and all other Office software.
>
> But I need my old email files. I did back all data files and copy them back
> onto the drive, but do not know where to look for old email messages - there
> are thousands of important ones. Can you help?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10th Oct 2008
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375


After furious head scratching, Grumblypeg asked:

| My computer crashed for no known reason. Blue screen of death. After
| lots of trouble shooting, took it into a computer shop and they tried
| everything and in the end the only solution was to do the disk
| recovery which wipes the harddrive, and reinstall Vista and all other
| Office software.
|
| But I need my old email files. I did back all data files and copy
| them back onto the drive, but do not know where to look for old email
| messages - there are thousands of important ones. Can you help?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Foldes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11th Oct 2008
Grumblypeg

If you made a back copy of your pst files and put that back on your Hard Drive in a different location and then you had formatted the drive as per you posting.

Afaik they are gone. You needed to have those back ups on an outside media like a CD not on the Hard Drive

--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"Grumblypeg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My computer crashed for no known reason. Blue screen of death. After lots of
> trouble shooting, took it into a computer shop and they tried everything and
> in the end the only solution was to do the disk recovery which wipes the
> harddrive, and reinstall Vista and all other Office software.
>
> But I need my old email files. I did back all data files and copy them back
> onto the drive, but do not know where to look for old email messages - there
> are thousands of important ones. Can you help?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      13th Oct 2008
"Grumblypeg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> My computer crashed for no known reason. Blue screen of death. After lots
> of
> trouble shooting, took it into a computer shop and they tried everything
> and
> in the end the only solution was to do the disk recovery which wipes the
> harddrive, and reinstall Vista and all other Office software.


If the disk drive was "wiped", as you say, then NOTHING you had on that disk
is available any longer.

> But I need my old email files. I did back all data files and copy them
> back
> onto the drive, but do not know where to look for old email messages -
> there
> are thousands of important ones. Can you help?


How did you back them up and how did you you restore them? What did you
back up before wiping the drive? The most likely place for your mail files
was %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Outlook. If you didn't save the files there,
chances are excellent you've lost them permanently.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to recover outlook old "Inbox" files after restoring XP =?Utf-8?B?TUFSSw==?= Microsoft Outlook Installation 2 23rd Jun 2009 05:39 PM
windows mail recover after sys recover =?Utf-8?B?ZmxpbnRzbw==?= Windows Vista Mail 1 17th Sep 2007 01:24 AM
recover items from recover deleted items file after expiration =?Utf-8?B?TWF1cmVlbk1j?= Microsoft Outlook Discussion 2 7th Mar 2007 03:59 PM
Upgrade after computer failure, need to recover old files =?Utf-8?B?UHJvaG1RdWVlbg==?= Windows XP Help 6 12th Sep 2005 01:25 AM
WON'T PERFORM RECOVER AFTER INSTALLING RECOVER DISKS Warren Windows XP Performance 1 6th Dec 2003 07:04 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:16 PM.