how do I put a macron (-) over letters of the alphabet?

=?Utf-8?B?Q292YWRhaXJpYQ==?=

      16th Oct 2006
Not all the letters of the alphabet in the "Insert symbol" function are
available with macrons (-) over them... is there a method of inserting a
macron over any letter of the alphabet in a similar manner in which one
would, say, type CTRL + ATL +' to insert an acute accent over "e"?

Joe McGuire

      16th Oct 2006
Try Ctrl+Shift+~, then press the letter. There is a great MVP paper on this
at
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...tSpecChars.htm.

See KB Article 269750 for other details, including references to the Visual
Keyboard. Note that this may be for Word 2000 but it works in later
versions as well.

"Covadairia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not all the letters of the alphabet in the "Insert symbol" function are
> available with macrons (-) over them... is there a method of inserting a
> macron over any letter of the alphabet in a similar manner in which one
> would, say, type CTRL + ATL +' to insert an acute accent over "e"?

garfield-n-odie [MVP]

      16th Oct 2006
See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm .

Covadairia wrote:

> Not all the letters of the alphabet in the "Insert symbol" function are
> available with macrons (-) over them... is there a method of inserting a
> macron over any letter of the alphabet in a similar manner in which one
> would, say, type CTRL + ATL +' to insert an acute accent over "e"?

Opinicus

      16th Oct 2006
"Joe McGuire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Try Ctrl+Shift+~, then press the letter.

Actually that gives you a squiggle over the letter, not a macron.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      16th Oct 2006
The "squiggle" is called a tilde.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Opinicus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Joe McGuire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
> > Try Ctrl+Shift+~, then press the letter.

> Actually that gives you a squiggle over the letter, not a macron.
>
> --
> Bob
> http://www.kanyak.com

del

      16th May 2009

"Joe McGuire" wrote:

> Try Ctrl+Shift+~, then press the letter.

But this gives you a CAPITAL letter N with the tilde, not a small n. A
capitol n with tilde is rarely needed. I used to be able to do this function
quickly, but Microsoft in its continuing quest for making it more difficult
to do (or find instructions for) simple things, seems to have changed the
method. Especially regarding 2007. To have to go searching for an article
explaining how to do such simple things as this is ludicrous. The
instructions under Special Characters is very bundlesome and non-direct.

There is a great MVP paper on this
> at
> http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...tSpecChars.htm.
>
> See KB Article 269750 for other details, including references to the Visual
> Keyboard. Note that this may be for Word 2000 but it works in later
> versions as well.
>

> "Covadairia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Not all the letters of the alphabet in the "Insert symbol" function are
> > available with macrons (-) over them... is there a method of inserting a
> > macron over any letter of the alphabet in a similar manner in which one
> > would, say, type CTRL + ATL +' to insert an acute accent over "e"?

grammatim

      16th May 2009
On May 15, 8:22*pm, del <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Joe McGuire" wrote:
> > Try Ctrl+Shift+~, then press the letter. *

> But this gives you a CAPITAL letter N with the tilde, not a small n. *

Only if you are still holding the shift key when you type the n.

> capitol n with tilde is rarely needed. *I used to be able to do this function
> quickly, but Microsoft in its continuing quest for making it more difficult
> to do (or find instructions for) simple things, seems to have changed the
> method. Especially regarding 2007. *To have to go searching for an article
> explaining how to do such simple things as this is ludicrous. * The
> instructions under Special Characters is very bundlesome and non-direct.

The typing of the basic accented letters has not changed one bit
between W2003 and W2007.