How do I prevent deletion or changing of a record in Access 2007?

Aldric

      30th Jun 2008
I want to be able to "lock" a record once it has been created, I am using
auto-number as the data type, that will show that the record has been
deleted, but not the details, but want to try and prevent editing and
deletion.
Thanks in advance
Aldric

Allen Browne

      30th Jun 2008
If all records are entered through forms (not directly on the
tables/queries), you could set the forms' AllowEdits and AllowDeletions to
No, leaving AllowAdditions as Yes to permit new records.

Another option might be to track edits and deletions instead of blocking
them. Details in:
Audit Trail - Log changes at the record level
at:
http://allenbrowne.com/AppAudit.html

In A2003 or earlier, it is possible to set up Access security to give users
permisson to append and read, but not modify or delete. This solution is
best reserved for special cases, especially now the new A2007 format does
not support it.

"Aldric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to be able to "lock" a record once it has been created, I am using
> auto-number as the data type, that will show that the record has been
> deleted, but not the details, but want to try and prevent editing and
> deletion.
> Thanks in advance
> Aldric

Aldric

      1st Jul 2008
Thanks Allen - very helpful - your site is now on my bookmarks!