how do I place postal barcode on envelopes / labels in Word 2007

Walter C. Daniels

      15th Feb 2008
I cannot find the option in printing envelopes in Word 2007. This was
available in Office XP and Word 2000. Why not in Word 2007?

Jay Freedman

      15th Feb 2008
Walter C. Daniels wrote:
> I cannot find the option in printing envelopes in Word 2007. This was
> available in Office XP and Word 2000. Why not in Word 2007?

Why? Because of this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897290 "The POSTNET
bar code that Word generates no longer qualifies for USPS bulk mailing
discounts".

It's still possible to insert a PostNet barcode, it's just not integrated
with the Envelopes dialog any more. You can use the Insert > Quick Parts >
Field dialog to insert a Barcode field. There are two ways to set up the
field:

- If you insert a bookmark that includes the zip code (and possibly the
whole address), you can select the bookmark in the dialog and Word will
create the proper field.

- If you don't want to bother with a bookmark, click the Field Codes button
in the dialog and insert the \u switch and the zip code, like

BARCODE \u 12345

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman