How do Permanently remove items from system tray

=?Utf-8?B?SGFydHNWaWRlbw==?=

      15th Feb 2006
How do I permanently remove items from my system tray without uninstalling
the programs. I want to keep the programs but I don't want them in my tray.
I tried "always hide" but it just hides the icon behind the < . Two icons
that I want to remove are "Trend Micro - Venus Fly Trap" which is always
disabled because I didn't buy the program after the trial expired, and
"Safely Remove Hardware."

Thanks in advance for your help . . .

Denise

Iceman

      15th Feb 2006
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:47:29 -0800, HartsVideo wrote in message
<news:(E-Mail Removed)>:

> How do I permanently remove items from my system tray without uninstalling
> the programs. I want to keep the programs but I don't want them in my tray.
> I tried "always hide" but it just hides the icon behind the < . Two icons
> that I want to remove are "Trend Micro - Venus Fly Trap" which is always
> disabled because I didn't buy the program after the trial expired, and
> "Safely Remove Hardware."
>
> Thanks in advance for your help . . .
>
> Denise

Start > Run > Msconfig > Startup > Uncheck the programs you don't want.
Then restart the computer.

=?Utf-8?B?QW5keSBX?=

      15th Feb 2006
If you right click on the Trend icon it may like other programs give you a
menu with options to not display the tray icon, as for the safely remove
hardware icon, I think you can only hide that because its referring to a
device most probably plugged into USB.

Andy W

"HartsVideo" wrote:

> How do I permanently remove items from my system tray without uninstalling
> the programs. I want to keep the programs but I don't want them in my tray.
> I tried "always hide" but it just hides the icon behind the < . Two icons
> that I want to remove are "Trend Micro - Venus Fly Trap" which is always
> disabled because I didn't buy the program after the trial expired, and
> "Safely Remove Hardware."
>
> Thanks in advance for your help . . .
>
> Denise

=?Utf-8?B?SGFydHNWaWRlbw==?=

      15th Feb 2006
I was able to remove TrendMicro - Venus Fly Trap by going into MSConfig >
StartUp Menu tab and unchecking the box. Thanks I appreciate it.

I discovered that the other icon "Safely Remove Hardware" is for 3 Maxtor
One Touch II external hard drives that I have. Do you think that if I remove
this icon from my system tray, that my external hard drives would stop
functioning and I would have to reinstall the programs for them?

Denise

"HartsVideo" wrote:

> How do I permanently remove items from my system tray without uninstalling
> the programs. I want to keep the programs but I don't want them in my tray.
> I tried "always hide" but it just hides the icon behind the < . Two icons
> that I want to remove are "Trend Micro - Venus Fly Trap" which is always
> disabled because I didn't buy the program after the trial expired, and
> "Safely Remove Hardware."
>
> Thanks in advance for your help . . .
>
> Denise

=?Utf-8?B?SGFydHNWaWRlbw==?=

      16th Feb 2006
There is no longer a need to give me a response to my last post. I installed
Avast! and my computer froze up every time I start it for the past 2 hrs. I
couldn't get into Safe Mode by tapping the F5 or F8 buttons. I couldn't get
into Control Panel > Uninstall Programs fast enough before Avast! kicked in
and froze my pc. I couldn't get into msconfig fast enough either. The
msconfig box has a check box to Restore Computer to a Previous Date but it
wouldn't work. I finally noticed a check box for Safe Mode on the msconfig
box and rebooted into Safe Mode and uninstalled Avast!. My pc now operates
but the icon to Safely Uninstall Hardware is not longer in my system tray but
neither are the icons for my anti-virus/malware/adware/spyware icons, so I'm
not sure that they're running in the background as they always did. I
checked the boxes on the Start-Up tab in MSconfig for Yahoo, Spybot, MS
Anti-Spyware and Spyware Blaster but, as I said, their icons are no longer in
my system tray.

How can I ensure that these programs are running?

Denise

"HartsVideo" wrote:

> How do I permanently remove items from my system tray without uninstalling
> the programs. I want to keep the programs but I don't want them in my tray.
> I tried "always hide" but it just hides the icon behind the < . Two icons
> that I want to remove are "Trend Micro - Venus Fly Trap" which is always
> disabled because I didn't buy the program after the trial expired, and
> "Safely Remove Hardware."
>
> Thanks in advance for your help . . .
>
> Denise

=?Utf-8?B?QW5keSBX?=

      16th Feb 2006
Using msconfig and unticking programs will stop the program from running at
startup, I think you just wanted to remove the icons on show, am I correct ?

Most programs have option to disable the tray icons.

Andy W