How do I overcome Outlook's failure to remember my password?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hlZA==?=

      22nd Dec 2005
I have recently changed Interner provider and mow I am unable to make Outlook
remember my password. Does anyone have a clue to the cause of this problem?

Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]

      22nd Dec 2005
Take a look here, it may help:

"Ched" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have recently changed Interner provider and mow I am unable to make
>Outlook
> remember my password. Does anyone have a clue to the cause of this
> problem?

=?Utf-8?B?dWNtZWxj?=

      22nd Mar 2007
This fix doesn't specify Vista & Office 2007. I am nervous to use it.

"Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Take a look here, it may help:
>
> "Ched" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have recently changed Interner provider and mow I am unable to make
> >Outlook
> > remember my password. Does anyone have a clue to the cause of this
> > problem?

Roady [MVP]

      22nd Mar 2007
And you don't have to use it as Windows Vista nor Office 2007 support the
Protective Storage regkey. In other words; this article doesn't apply to you
as specified in the article.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
"ucmelc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This fix doesn't specify Vista & Office 2007. I am nervous to use it.
>
> "Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Take a look here, it may help:
>>
>> "Ched" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have recently changed Interner provider and mow I am unable to make
>> >Outlook
>> > remember my password. Does anyone have a clue to the cause of this
>> > problem?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hlZA==?=

      22nd Mar 2007
That cured my problem. Thanks for your help.

"Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Take a look here, it may help:
>
> "Ched" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have recently changed Interner provider and mow I am unable to make
> >Outlook
> > remember my password. Does anyone have a clue to the cause of this
> > problem?

=?Utf-8?B?SmVlUGVl?=

      28th Apr 2007
Hi,

I have the same issue. Found several articles on the internet, MS KB and in
this forum. Most of them point to the Protected storage system and to fix
that registry key (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290684), but none of
them work for me though.

Also my Windows Live Messenger does not remember the username and password
anymore.

My configuration
- Outlook 2003 with all SP's and security updates, using 4 pop3 accounts
- WinXP SP2 with all and security updates
- Internet Explorer 7
- McAfee security centre
--
Thanks
JeePee

"Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Take a look here, it may help:
>
> "Ched" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have recently changed Interner provider and mow I am unable to make
> >Outlook
> > remember my password. Does anyone have a clue to the cause of this
> > problem?

=?Utf-8?B?VGh1bmRlcmNlbGw=?=

      15th May 2007
Any idea of the fix in this configuration?

"Roady [MVP]" wrote:

> And you don't have to use it as Windows Vista nor Office 2007 support the
> Protective Storage regkey. In other words; this article doesn't apply to you
> as specified in the article.
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
> -----
> "ucmelc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > This fix doesn't specify Vista & Office 2007. I am nervous to use it.
> >
> > "Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Take a look here, it may help:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;290684
> >>
> >> "Ched" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?UmFscGg=?=

      30th Aug 2007

"Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Take a look here, it may help:

Problem is I can't make
the fix work on my vista o/s. This problem of not remembering passwoords has
plagued me for years now, I was excited to find the fix, but now can't make
it work in Vista.

Specifically, when I try to access the relevant registry key I get the
message "Registry Editor could not set security in the key currently
selected, or some of its subkeys". Then when I try to delete the S-1-5-21
etc. subkey I get the message "Cannot delete subkey...Error while deleting
key".

I have tried to delete the key while logged in as user and administrator,
but no luck.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. This is a very frustrating bug.

=?Utf-8?B?UmFscGg=?=

      30th Aug 2007
I'm not sure I understand. I have the problem and I am running Vista. How
would I fix it?

Thanks for any reply.

"Roady [MVP]" wrote:

> And you don't have to use it as Windows Vista nor Office 2007 support the
> Protective Storage regkey. In other words; this article doesn't apply to you
> as specified in the article.
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
> -----
> "ucmelc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > This fix doesn't specify Vista & Office 2007. I am nervous to use it.
> >
> > "Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Take a look here, it may help:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;290684
> >>
> >> "Ched" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?SmVlUGVl?=

      30th Aug 2007
I also had this issue in Outlook 2003, but also in indows Live Messenger and
Internet Explorer 7.

I spend hours and hours searching the internet and could not find the
solution. The only possible solution you find on almost all forums (but does
not help in most cases is to repair the protected storage system provided
registry key: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290684.

So, here is a solution that is not even in the Microsoft knowledge base. It
helped me and hopefully many others. It was found because I new exactly when
it started to happen: after uninstalling a software program. The uninstall
procedure removed to many registry keys...

Note, I used it on XP ...

HERE WE GO...

Important: this solution contains information about how to modify the
registry. Make sure to back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure
that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. View the
following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base for information about how
to back up, restore, and modify the registry:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/

Follow the next steps to solve this issue:

1. Close all running programs
2. Click on [Start] » Run
3. Type "Regedit" and click [OK]
4. Open the following folder:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders
6. Enter "AppData" as a name
7. Double click the new entry
8. Enter "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data" in the value data field.
9. Close the registry editor

It is possible that additional registry keys are missing. Below is a list of
all keys that should exist in the "User Shell Folders". There are different
ways to add these keys again:
* Use the instructions provided on
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/usershellfolders.htm
* Add them manually by following the steps above
* Export the keys from a computer/user on which the issue does not occur,
and then importing them again.

To export and import:
1. Logon to Windows with a user account for which the issue does not occur
(this may also be a different workstation).
2. Click on [Start] » Run
3. Type "Regedit" and click [OK]
4. Open the following folder:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders
5. Right click the "User Shell Folders" key on the left and choose "Export".
Specify a name and location of for the export file and click [Save].
6. Close the registry editor
7. Logon to Windows with the user account that experiences this issue
8. Double click on the exported registry key you created in step 5.
9. Click [Yes] when asked if you are sure to add the information, then click
[OK] for the "successfully imported" message.

Registry keys that should exist in the "User Shell Folders" key.
The list below has the format "Key Name - Value Data". The type for all keys
is "Expandable String Value" (REG_EXPAND_SZ).

* AppData - %USERPROFILE%\Application Data
* Cache - %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
* Cookies - %USERPROFILE%\Cookies
* Desktop - %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
* Favorites - %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
* History - %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\History
* Local AppData - %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data
* Local Settings - %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings
* My Pictures - %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Pictures
* NetHood - %USERPROFILE%\NetHood
* Personal - %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\
* PrintHood - %USERPROFILE%\PrintHood
* Programs - %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs
* SendTo - %USERPROFILE%\SendTo
* Start Menu - %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu
* Startup - %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
* Templates - %USERPROFILE%\Templates

MORE INFORMATION
The "User Shell Folder" is a subkey of the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
registry. Entries in this subkey can also appear in the "Shell Folders"
subkey and in both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER. The entries that
appear in user User Shell Folders take precedence over those in Shell
Folders. The entries that appear in HKEY_CURRENT_USER take precedence over
those in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.