How do I keep the position of tables in the Diagram Pane?

=?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=

      28th Mar 2007
How do I keep the position of tables in the Diagram Pane of Query Designer
when I save the query? As soon as I save the query the position of all the
tables in the Diagram Pane revert to some default position of Microsft's,
which means that each time I open the query in design mode I have to
reposition everything so that I can see it.

Many thanks
--
Jason

Peter Yang [MSFT]

      28th Mar 2007
Hello Jason,

I'd like to know if you save the query before you close the design view?
Which version of Access do you use?

I was not able to reproduce the issue on my side. I will be prompted to
save the query if I change the position of tables in diagram panel.

If you have other related information, please also let's know. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Peter Yang
MCSE2000/2003, MCSA, MCDBA
Microsoft Online Community Support
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/default.aspx>.

John Spencer

      28th Mar 2007
If the query is not a SAVED query that you give a name, then it won't retain
your formatting. Look in the queries tab, does the query name appear there?

If you are building and saving the query string as the source for a report
or form then the query does not retain your formatting.

--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007

"Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I keep the position of tables in the Diagram Pane of Query Designer
> when I save the query? As soon as I save the query the position of all the
> tables in the Diagram Pane revert to some default position of Microsft's,
> which means that each time I open the query in design mode I have to
> reposition everything so that I can see it.
>
> Many thanks
> --
> Jason

=?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=

      2nd Apr 2007
Peter,
First thanks for your reply, I've been away hence my delay in getting back
to you. I'm using Access 2003. Yes i do save the query - as you say I'm
also prompted to do so if I change anything at all. But the table layout
always changes so that when the query is reopened they are all sitting on top
of each other , or at least overlapping. May be there is some option I
haven't set?

John
--
Jason

"Peter Yang [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello Jason,
>
> I'd like to know if you save the query before you close the design view?
> Which version of Access do you use?
>
> I was not able to reproduce the issue on my side. I will be prompted to
> save the query if I change the position of tables in diagram panel.
>
> If you have other related information, please also let's know. Thank you.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Peter Yang
> MCSE2000/2003, MCSA, MCDBA
> Microsoft Online Community Support
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/default.aspx>.

=?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=

      2nd Apr 2007
John

Yes it is a Saved query. Please see my reply to Peter Yang. It seems that
neither of you have experienced this behaviour, so I'm wondering what I've
done. It has been like it for years and I'm only asking now in a sort of
desperation as my patience has at last run out!

Thanks, John
--
Jason

"John Spencer" wrote:

> If the query is not a SAVED query that you give a name, then it won't retain
> your formatting. Look in the queries tab, does the query name appear there?
>
> If you are building and saving the query string as the source for a report
> or form then the query does not retain your formatting.
>
> --
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
> Center for Health Program Development and Management
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> ..
>
> "Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How do I keep the position of tables in the Diagram Pane of Query Designer
> > when I save the query? As soon as I save the query the position of all the
> > tables in the Diagram Pane revert to some default position of Microsft's,
> > which means that each time I open the query in design mode I have to
> > reposition everything so that I can see it.
> >
> > Many thanks
> > --
> > Jason

Peter Yang [MSFT]

      3rd Apr 2007
Hello Jason,

As far as I know, there is no such option. To isolate the issue, you may
want to check if the issue occurs for a different user with local admin
rights? Also, did you try sample Northwind database or a new database?

In addition, please check if the issue occurs in Safe Mode. To enter Safe
Mode:

1. When the Boot Menu appears at startup, press F8.
2. On the Windows Advanced Options Menu, select Safe Mode and press Enter.

I look forward to your reply. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Peter Yang
MCSE2000/2003, MCSA, MCDBA
Microsoft Online Partner Support

John Spencer

      3rd Apr 2007
Sorry, I have no idea why you are having the problem.

If I move tables around in the query design mode and save the change then
the tables are in that position the next time I open the query in the design
view. This works for me in Access 97, 2000, and 2003. I've never used
2002, so I can't say if it works in that version.

--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
University of Maryland Baltimore County
..

"Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John
>
> Yes it is a Saved query. Please see my reply to Peter Yang. It seems
> that
> neither of you have experienced this behaviour, so I'm wondering what I've
> done. It has been like it for years and I'm only asking now in a sort of
> desperation as my patience has at last run out!
>
> Thanks, John
> --
> Jason
>

> "John Spencer" wrote:
>
>> If the query is not a SAVED query that you give a name, then it won't
>> retain
>> your formatting. Look in the queries tab, does the query name appear
>> there?
>>
>> If you are building and saving the query string as the source for a
>> report
>> or form then the query does not retain your formatting.
>>
>> --
>> John Spencer
>> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
>> Center for Health Program Development and Management
>> University of Maryland Baltimore County
>> ..
>>
>> "Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > How do I keep the position of tables in the Diagram Pane of Query
>> > Designer
>> > when I save the query? As soon as I save the query the position of all
>> > the
>> > tables in the Diagram Pane revert to some default position of
>> > Microsft's,
>> > which means that each time I open the query in design mode I have to
>> > reposition everything so that I can see it.
>> >
>> > Many thanks
>> > --
>> > Jason

=?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=

      8th Apr 2007
John

It's very helpful to know that I'm the odd one out - its given me the hope I
need to persevere to fix it.

Thanks vm

Jason
--