How do I insert a watermark in Excel containing the word "draft"

=?Utf-8?B?Qy1iYWgtaG9iYml0?=

      20th Jul 2007
MS Word contains an ability to insert a text watermark (Format, Background,
Printed Watermark). Using this feature enables one to indicate (say) the
status of the document, eg, "draft".

I want to do the same thing in Excel, but seem to be able to only insert a
background graphic (Format, Sheet, Background) from my graphics folder. I
would prefer not to create a text graphic if I can.

Any suggestions?

Gord Dibben

      20th Jul 2007
Just for visibility on the sheet or do you want to also print the watermark?

You can use WordArt from Insert>Picture.

See Bob Phillips' site for this and other printable watermark methods.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:38:03 -0700, C-bah-hobbit
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>MS Word contains an ability to insert a text watermark (Format, Background,
>Printed Watermark). Using this feature enables one to indicate (say) the
>status of the document, eg, "draft".
>
>I want to do the same thing in Excel, but seem to be able to only insert a
>background graphic (Format, Sheet, Background) from my graphics folder. I
>would prefer not to create a text graphic if I can.
>
>Any suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?Y2hhbGxhIHByYWJodQ==?=

      24th Jul 2007
Hi,

Mimic a watermark in Excel

Watermark functionality is not available in Excel. If you want to display a
graphic on every printed page (for example, to indicate that the information
is confidential), you can insert the graphic in a header or footer. This way,
the graphic appears behind the text, starting at the top or bottom of every
page. You can also resize or scale it to fill the page.

1. On the View menu, click Header and Footer.
2. In the Page Setup dialog box, click Custom Header or Custom Footer.
3. Click in the Left section, Center section, or Right section box.
4. In the row of buttons in the Header or Footer dialog box, click Insert
Picture and then find the graphic you want to insert.
5. Double-click the graphic to insert it in the header or footer section box.
6. To resize or scale the graphic, click Format Picture in the row of
buttons in the Header or Footer dialog box and then, in the Format Picture
dialog box, select the options you want on the Size tab.

Notes

A. Changes to the graphic or graphic format take place immediately and can't
be undone.

B. If you want to add blank space above or below a graphic, click before or
after &[Picture], and then press ENTER to start a new line.

C. To replace a graphic, select &[Picture], click Insert Picture , and then
click Replace.

D. Before printing, make sure the header or footer margin allows enough
space for the custom header or footer.

E. To delete a graphic, select &[Picture] and then press DELETE.

Challa Prabhu

"C-bah-hobbit" wrote:

> MS Word contains an ability to insert a text watermark (Format, Background,
> Printed Watermark). Using this feature enables one to indicate (say) the
> status of the document, eg, "draft".
>
> I want to do the same thing in Excel, but seem to be able to only insert a
> background graphic (Format, Sheet, Background) from my graphics folder. I
> would prefer not to create a text graphic if I can.
>
> Any suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?SmFybQ==?=

      30th Jul 2007
I used the Microsoft info to add a "mimic watermark" in Excel 2003 (I used a
jpeg because I wanted to show my company logo greyed out in the background).
The watermark prints perfectly on a Laser printer but prints as a black box
on a deskjet (even though it looks perfect in the print preview screen). I
am certain that I have the correct printer driver. Has anyone seen this
before? Does anyone know why it is doing it?
--
I know just enough to be dangerous!

"challa prabhu" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Mimic a watermark in Excel
>
> Watermark functionality is not available in Excel. If you want to display a
> graphic on every printed page (for example, to indicate that the information
> is confidential), you can insert the graphic in a header or footer. This way,
> the graphic appears behind the text, starting at the top or bottom of every
> page. You can also resize or scale it to fill the page.
>
> 1. On the View menu, click Header and Footer.
> 2. In the Page Setup dialog box, click Custom Header or Custom Footer.
> 3. Click in the Left section, Center section, or Right section box.
> 4. In the row of buttons in the Header or Footer dialog box, click Insert
> Picture and then find the graphic you want to insert.
> 5. Double-click the graphic to insert it in the header or footer section box.
> 6. To resize or scale the graphic, click Format Picture in the row of
> buttons in the Header or Footer dialog box and then, in the Format Picture
> dialog box, select the options you want on the Size tab.
>
> Notes
>
> A. Changes to the graphic or graphic format take place immediately and can't
> be undone.
>
> B. If you want to add blank space above or below a graphic, click before or
> after &[Picture], and then press ENTER to start a new line.
>
> C. To replace a graphic, select &[Picture], click Insert Picture , and then
> click Replace.
>
> D. Before printing, make sure the header or footer margin allows enough
> space for the custom header or footer.
>
> E. To delete a graphic, select &[Picture] and then press DELETE.
>
> Challa Prabhu
>
> "C-bah-hobbit" wrote:
>
> > MS Word contains an ability to insert a text watermark (Format, Background,
> > Printed Watermark). Using this feature enables one to indicate (say) the
> > status of the document, eg, "draft".
> >
> > I want to do the same thing in Excel, but seem to be able to only insert a
> > background graphic (Format, Sheet, Background) from my graphics folder. I
> > would prefer not to create a text graphic if I can.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Bob I

      30th Jul 2007
Perhaps installing the latest printer driver for the deskjet will cure it.

Jarm wrote:

> I used the Microsoft info to add a "mimic watermark" in Excel 2003 (I used a
> jpeg because I wanted to show my company logo greyed out in the background).
> The watermark prints perfectly on a Laser printer but prints as a black box
> on a deskjet (even though it looks perfect in the print preview screen). I
> am certain that I have the correct printer driver. Has anyone seen this
> before? Does anyone know why it is doing it?

New Member

      25th Jan 2011
You can use an add-on which will give the option to add a watermark in ms excel sheet. Try the COM add-on as explained at globinch.com
http://www.globinch.com/2010/12/07/h...-excel-sheets/