How do I insert a square root sign?

=?Utf-8?B?R1I=?=

      17th Apr 2006

Chuck Davis

      17th Apr 2006
GR,

What version of Word? Word 2003 Help (yeah that's a 4-lettter word) returned
this:
1.. Click where you want to insert the equation.
2.. On the Insert menu, click Object, and then click the Create New tab.
3.. In the Object type box, click Microsoft Equation 3.0.
If Microsoft Equation Editor is not available, you may need to install it.

How?

If you originally installed Microsoft Office from a network file server or
from a shared folder, you must install Equation Editor from that location.
If you installed Office from a CD-ROM, you must install Equation Editor from
the disc.

1.. Quit all programs.
2.. Do one of the following:
a.. If you run Microsoft Windows 2000, double-click the Add/Remove
Programs icon in Control Panel.
b.. If you run Microsoft Windows XP, click Add or Remove Programs in
Control Panel.
3.. In the Currently installed programs box, click the listing for
Microsoft Office or Microsoft Word, depending on whether you installed Word
as part of Office or as an individual program, and then click Change.
4.. On the Maintenance Mode Options screen, click Add or Remove
Features, and then click Next.
5.. If a Custom Setup screen appears, select the Choose advanced
customization of applications check box, and then click Next.
6.. In the list of features to install, click the expand indicator (+)
next to Office Tools.
7.. Click the arrow next to Equation Editor, and then click Run from My
Computer.
8.. Click Update.
9.. Restart Word.
4.. Click OK.
5.. Build the equation by selecting symbols from the Equation toolbar
(toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands.
To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.) and by typing variables
and numbers. From the top row of the Equation toolbar, you can choose from
more than 150 mathematical symbols. From the bottom row, you can choose from
a variety of templates or frameworks that contain symbols such as fractions,
integrals, and summations.
If you need help, click Equation Editor Help Topics on the Help menu.

6.. To return to Microsoft Word, click the Word document.
Tip

If you frequently work with equations, you may want to add the Equation
Editor button to a toolbar so that you can insert equations quickly.
1.. Right-click the toolbar where you want to add the button, click
Customize, and then click the Commands tab.
2.. In the Categories list, click Insert.
3.. In the Commands list, click Equation Editor and drag to the toolbar.
"GR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

=?Utf-8?B?R1I=?=

      17th Apr 2006
Thanks Chuck

"Chuck Davis" wrote:

> GR,
>
> What version of Word? Word 2003 Help (yeah that's a 4-lettter word) returned
> this:
> 1.. Click where you want to insert the equation.
> 2.. On the Insert menu, click Object, and then click the Create New tab.
> 3.. In the Object type box, click Microsoft Equation 3.0.
> If Microsoft Equation Editor is not available, you may need to install it.
>
> How?
>
> If you originally installed Microsoft Office from a network file server or
> from a shared folder, you must install Equation Editor from that location.
> If you installed Office from a CD-ROM, you must install Equation Editor from
> the disc.
>
> 1.. Quit all programs.
> 2.. Do one of the following:
> a.. If you run Microsoft Windows 2000, double-click the Add/Remove
> Programs icon in Control Panel.
> b.. If you run Microsoft Windows XP, click Add or Remove Programs in
> Control Panel.
> 3.. In the Currently installed programs box, click the listing for
> Microsoft Office or Microsoft Word, depending on whether you installed Word
> as part of Office or as an individual program, and then click Change.
> 4.. On the Maintenance Mode Options screen, click Add or Remove
> Features, and then click Next.
> 5.. If a Custom Setup screen appears, select the Choose advanced
> customization of applications check box, and then click Next.
> 6.. In the list of features to install, click the expand indicator (+)
> next to Office Tools.
> 7.. Click the arrow next to Equation Editor, and then click Run from My
> Computer.
> 8.. Click Update.
> 9.. Restart Word.
> 4.. Click OK.
> 5.. Build the equation by selecting symbols from the Equation toolbar
> (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands.
> To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.) and by typing variables
> and numbers. From the top row of the Equation toolbar, you can choose from
> more than 150 mathematical symbols. From the bottom row, you can choose from
> a variety of templates or frameworks that contain symbols such as fractions,
> integrals, and summations.
> If you need help, click Equation Editor Help Topics on the Help menu.
>
> 6.. To return to Microsoft Word, click the Word document.
> Tip
>
> If you frequently work with equations, you may want to add the Equation
> Editor button to a toolbar so that you can insert equations quickly.
> 1.. Right-click the toolbar where you want to add the button, click
> Customize, and then click the Commands tab.
> 2.. In the Categories list, click Insert.
> 3.. In the Commands list, click Equation Editor and drag to the toolbar.
> "GR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)..

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      17th Apr 2006
If you just want to insert a square root sign, use glyph 221A in any Unicode
font. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)