How do I insert a file in Word 2010?

Steve Hayes

      24th Mar 2012
How do I insert a file in the current document in Word 2010?

In Word 97 it was easy.

Insert ---> File

But "file" doesn't appear in the new ribbon. And typing "Insert file" in the
help window produces nothing relevant.

I suppose I could always convert the docx documents to doc, perform the
operation in Word 97, and then co nvert them back to .docx, but that seems a
bit cumbersome.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      24th Mar 2012
It is far from obvious, but Insert | Text | Object | Text from File opens
the familiar Insert File dialog. Note that Object is a split button; be sure
you click on the arrow beside it (which drops a menu), not the button
itself, which opens the Insert Object dialog.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Steve Hayes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I insert a file in the current document in Word 2010?
>
> In Word 97 it was easy.
>
> Insert ---> File
>
> But "file" doesn't appear in the new ribbon. And typing "Insert file" in
> the
> help window produces nothing relevant.
>
> I suppose I could always convert the docx documents to doc, perform the
> operation in Word 97, and then co nvert them back to .docx, but that seems
> bit cumbersome.
>

> --
> Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
> Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
> E-mail - see web page, or parse: shayes at dunelm full stop org full stop
> uk

Steve Hayes

      24th Mar 2012
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:12:24 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>It is far from obvious, but Insert | Text | Object | Text from File opens
>the familiar Insert File dialog. Note that Object is a split button; be sure
>you click on the arrow beside it (which drops a menu), not the button
>itself, which opens the Insert Object dialog.

Wow, they're really good at hiding stuff!

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      25th Mar 2012
All this in the name of making Word's features "more discoverable." <g>

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"Steve Hayes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:12:24 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>It is far from obvious, but Insert | Text | Object | Text from File opens
>>the familiar Insert File dialog. Note that Object is a split button; be
>>sure
>>you click on the arrow beside it (which drops a menu), not the button
>>itself, which opens the Insert Object dialog.

> Wow, they're really good at hiding stuff!
>

> --
> Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
> Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
> E-mail - see web page, or parse: shayes at dunelm full stop org full stop
> uk

Stefan Blom

      25th Mar 2012
Some things apparently aren't meant to be discovered... <g>

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message news:jkn3bf$3bt$(E-Mail Removed)...

All this in the name of making Word's features "more discoverable." <g>

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"Steve Hayes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:12:24 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>It is far from obvious, but Insert | Text | Object | Text from File opens
>>the familiar Insert File dialog. Note that Object is a split button; be
>>sure
>>you click on the arrow beside it (which drops a menu), not the button
>>itself, which opens the Insert Object dialog.

> Wow, they're really good at hiding stuff!
>

> --
> Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
> Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
> E-mail - see web page, or parse: shayes at dunelm full stop org full stop
> uk

Daddy

      26th Mar 2012
On 3/25/2012 8:31 AM, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
> All this in the name of making Word's features "more discoverable." <g>

I actually feel that the ribbon does make features more discoverable,
since more of them are exposed to view.

The problem, IMO, is that by now Word has /so many/ features that even
with the ribbon, we still need to dig sometimes to find what we want.
And with the ribbon, one person's 'logical place' is another's twisted
logic.

Daddy

Stefan Blom

      26th Mar 2012
> I actually feel that the ribbon does make features more discoverable,
> since more of them are exposed to view.

But isn't that because the ribbon fills the space of two toolbars? :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Daddy" wrote in message news:jkq7mv$iev$(E-Mail Removed)...

On 3/25/2012 8:31 AM, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
> All this in the name of making Word's features "more discoverable." <g>

I actually feel that the ribbon does make features more discoverable,
since more of them are exposed to view.

The problem, IMO, is that by now Word has /so many/ features that even
with the ribbon, we still need to dig sometimes to find what we want.
And with the ribbon, one person's 'logical place' is another's twisted
logic.

Daddy

Steve Hayes

      27th Mar 2012
On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 13:06:37 -0400, Daddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 3/25/2012 8:31 AM, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
>> All this in the name of making Word's features "more discoverable." <g>
>>

>I actually feel that the ribbon does make features more discoverable,
>since more of them are exposed to view.
>
>The problem, IMO, is that by now Word has /so many/ features that even
>with the ribbon, we still need to dig sometimes to find what we want.
>And with the ribbon, one person's 'logical place' is another's twisted
>logic.

In the case of this one, apart from being well hidden, it was rather
confusing, and led me to think that if I wanted to import a file it would be
inserted in a text box.

But the biggest problem is that "Insert file" finds nothing in the help file.

--

On 3/27/2012 4:23 AM, Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 13:06:37 -0400, Daddy<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 3/25/2012 8:31 AM, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
>>> All this in the name of making Word's features "more discoverable."<g>
>>>

>> I actually feel that the ribbon does make features more discoverable,
>> since more of them are exposed to view.
>>
>> The problem, IMO, is that by now Word has /so many/ features that even
>> with the ribbon, we still need to dig sometimes to find what we want.
>> And with the ribbon, one person's 'logical place' is another's twisted
>> logic.

> In the case of this one, apart from being well hidden, it was rather
> confusing, and led me to think that if I wanted to import a file it would be
> inserted in a text box.
>
> But the biggest problem is that "Insert file" finds nothing in the help file.

Bingo on the Help file. Even when connected to Microsoft's website, the
'help' is very little help indeed.

Daddy

Stefan Blom

      28th Mar 2012
Searching directly at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ will be more
useful. Or search via Google (you can specify site:microsoft.com or
siteffice.com to reduce the number of hits).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP