How do I insert a dot leader in Word?

DanielleK

      12th May 2008
I'm working on an index and would like the dots to "lead" from the name on
the left of the page to the corresponding page number on the right of the
page. I used to know how to do this, but it's been quite a while since I've
had to...

Jay Freedman

      12th May 2008
On Sun, 11 May 2008 17:53:00 -0700, DanielleK
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm working on an index and would like the dots to "lead" from the name on
>the left of the page to the corresponding page number on the right of the
>page. I used to know how to do this, but it's been quite a while since I've
>had to...

If you're adding an index to a Word document, use the built-in indexing feature
to mark entries and insert an Index field; dot leaders are the default setting
for that (although you can choose other settings).

If you're manually building an index for something that isn't a Word document
(which I've done several times for page proofs of thousand-page books), modify
the style applied to the entries.

In the Modify Style dialog, click the Format button and choose Tabs. In the Tabs
dialog, enter a tab stop position equal to the distance from the left margin to
the right margin (generally 6"). Click the option for Right alignment and choose
the dot leader. Click the Set button (you MUST remember to do this, because just
clicking OK won't retain your entry) and then click OK in each dialog.

In each entry, type the name at the left, press the Tab key, and type the page
number.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman