PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

How do I hide the disconnected Local Area Connection icon in the notification area?

 
 
Sam Kerracher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Sep 2004
Hello All,

A friend and I have a home network set up, due to the fact we rarely use it,
the local area connection is mostly disconnected.

I would like to hide the disconnected icon (two monitors with a red X) from
the notification area all the time WITHOUT having the arrow that shows hides
these icons.

Therefore is it possible to always prevent a network connection from being
shown in the notification area.

P.S.

Unchecking "Show icon in notification are when connected" under Local Area
Connection Properites DOES NOT WORK.

Enabling Hide inactive icons and setting the connection to always hide is
not what I am looking for, as this activates the little arrow, I just want
the connection to be fully hidden.

Thanks in advance


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steve Winograd [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Sep 2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Sam Kerracher"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>A friend and I have a home network set up, due to the fact we rarely use it,
>the local area connection is mostly disconnected.
>
>I would like to hide the disconnected icon (two monitors with a red X) from
>the notification area all the time WITHOUT having the arrow that shows hides
>these icons.
>
>Therefore is it possible to always prevent a network connection from being
>shown in the notification area.
>
>P.S.
>
>Unchecking "Show icon in notification are when connected" under Local Area
>Connection Properites DOES NOT WORK.
>
>Enabling Hide inactive icons and setting the connection to always hide is
>not what I am looking for, as this activates the little arrow, I just want
>the connection to be fully hidden.
>
>Thanks in advance


When the network is disconnected, right-click and disable the Local
Area Connection.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sam Kerracher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Sep 2004
When right clicking Local Area Connection I recieve the error:

"Error Disabling Connection
It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection
may be using one or more portocols that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it
may have been initiated by another user or the system account
OK "

This is actually another problem I have, how can I disable the connection?

I am logged on as an administrator, so I do have full permissions.

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Sam Kerracher"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Hello All,
>>
>>A friend and I have a home network set up, due to the fact we rarely use
>>it,
>>the local area connection is mostly disconnected.
>>
>>I would like to hide the disconnected icon (two monitors with a red X)
>>from
>>the notification area all the time WITHOUT having the arrow that shows
>>hides
>>these icons.
>>
>>Therefore is it possible to always prevent a network connection from being
>>shown in the notification area.
>>
>>P.S.
>>
>>Unchecking "Show icon in notification are when connected" under Local Area
>>Connection Properites DOES NOT WORK.
>>
>>Enabling Hide inactive icons and setting the connection to always hide is
>>not what I am looking for, as this activates the little arrow, I just want
>>the connection to be fully hidden.
>>
>>Thanks in advance

>
> When the network is disconnected, right-click and disable the Local
> Area Connection.
> --
> Best Wishes,
> Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)
>
> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
> for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
> addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.
>
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com



 
Reply With Quote
 
Sam Kerracher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Sep 2004
I have solved the problem, Cryptographic Services was disabled. When
enabling and starting this service, I was able to disable the Local Area
Connection.

Thanks for your help.

"Sam Kerracher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When right clicking Local Area Connection I recieve the error:
>
> "Error Disabling Connection
> It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This
> connection may be using one or more portocols that do not support
> Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated by another user or the system
> account
> OK "
>
> This is actually another problem I have, how can I disable the connection?
>
> I am logged on as an administrator, so I do have full permissions.
>
> "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Sam Kerracher"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>Hello All,
>>>
>>>A friend and I have a home network set up, due to the fact we rarely use
>>>it,
>>>the local area connection is mostly disconnected.
>>>
>>>I would like to hide the disconnected icon (two monitors with a red X)
>>>from
>>>the notification area all the time WITHOUT having the arrow that shows
>>>hides
>>>these icons.
>>>
>>>Therefore is it possible to always prevent a network connection from
>>>being
>>>shown in the notification area.
>>>
>>>P.S.
>>>
>>>Unchecking "Show icon in notification are when connected" under Local
>>>Area
>>>Connection Properites DOES NOT WORK.
>>>
>>>Enabling Hide inactive icons and setting the connection to always hide is
>>>not what I am looking for, as this activates the little arrow, I just
>>>want
>>>the connection to be fully hidden.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance

>>
>> When the network is disconnected, right-click and disable the Local
>> Area Connection.
>> --
>> Best Wishes,
>> Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)
>>
>> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
>> for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
>> addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.
>>
>> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hide Local Area Connection Icon Eduardo Sicouret Microsoft Windows 2000 7 23rd Aug 2006 07:02 PM
Local Area Network Connection disconnected repeatedly at 2-3 minutes interval =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWs=?= Windows XP Networking 2 30th May 2004 05:01 PM
How to remove "Local Area Connection" icon from my notifications area Richard Wein Windows XP Help 6 22nd Feb 2004 09:04 PM
VOLUME ICON & CONNECTION ICON in notification area Goranski Windows XP General 0 20th Jan 2004 10:38 PM
Notification Area - "Local Area Connection" SeanMc Windows XP General 1 4th Jan 2004 07:27 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:27 PM.